re: WSUS version = Windows 7 update client version (Compatibility) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone. I have a WSUS 3.0 SP2 server (updated to  3.2.7600.274) residing in a Windows 2008 R2 server. We have  about 1000+ Windows 7 SP1 clients in various states of updates, so to speak. Some I have discovered to have versions 7.6.7601.19161 while others have versions either higher or lower than that. My question is what Windows 7 SP1 Update Client version is compatible with the above mentioned WSUS version? I have read somewhere that particular WSUS versions will only work with a particular update client versions. I am asking this because I am currently encountering issues with clients not detecting updates (0 detected) while I have a list of updates on the WSUS server that has been approved.

I created several test groups just to prove that updates were not being consistently downloaded. I made sure that superseded issues do not exist and no other updates were approved for the clients. Now prior to this issue I had to update the WSUS server to 274 from 226. I did reset the clients via the recommended methods of renaming folders and re-registering dlls. Still no go. I am really tempted to just rebuild. 

On a side note, after updating, is it normal for me to see that version 226 still appears under the HELP command in the WSUS interface but shows 274 in the Update Services info? I'm kinda confused if the update really worked. Thanks in advance for constructive advice.

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 2:34 AM

Answers

• Hi Noah GB,

>My question is what Windows 7 SP1 Update Client version is compatible with the above mentioned WSUS version? I have read somewhere that particular WSUS versions will only work with a particular update client versions.

No, the version of WIN7 client won't affect them to detect updates from WSUS server.

> I am asking this because I am currently encountering issues with clients not detecting updates (0 detected) while I have a list of updates on the WSUS server that has been approved.

For the issue that clients can't detect updates from the WSUS server, please check the following things:

1. Check if the clients locates in correct group and report to the WSUS server recently?

2. Please check if the clients could detect updates from Microsoft Update via Internet;

3. Please decline superseded update and run server client up wizard on the WSUS server;

4. Also check the windows update log on clients, check if there are errors. The log locates in C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log;

>is it normal for me to see that version 226 still appears under the HELP command in the WSUS interface but shows 274 in the Update Services info?

Please restart windows update service and restart the WSUS console, check if it could make the version consistence.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 6:27 AM

All replies

• Hi Noah GB,

>My question is what Windows 7 SP1 Update Client version is compatible with the above mentioned WSUS version? I have read somewhere that particular WSUS versions will only work with a particular update client versions.

No, the version of WIN7 client won't affect them to detect updates from WSUS server.

> I am asking this because I am currently encountering issues with clients not detecting updates (0 detected) while I have a list of updates on the WSUS server that has been approved.

For the issue that clients can't detect updates from the WSUS server, please check the following things:

1. Check if the clients locates in correct group and report to the WSUS server recently?

2. Please check if the clients could detect updates from Microsoft Update via Internet;

3. Please decline superseded update and run server client up wizard on the WSUS server;

4. Also check the windows update log on clients, check if there are errors. The log locates in C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log;

>is it normal for me to see that version 226 still appears under the HELP command in the WSUS interface but shows 274 in the Update Services info?

Please restart windows update service and restart the WSUS console, check if it could make the version consistence.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 6:27 AM
  • Hi Noah GB,

just to confirm if the above reply could be of help. If yes, you may mark it as answer, if not, feel free to feed back your current situation.

Best Regards,

Anne

Wednesday, August 24, 2016 9:08 AM