none
iMacs slow to search on Windows 2008 R2 Server

Question

• Hi All,

I have two iMacs that have their data on Windows 2008 R2 Server, and the searching for files on these macs are extremely slow!  I have been searching Google and asking around, but I can't find the reason for the slow searches, or a way to fix it.  These macs are running El Capitan  OS.  Even if we tab into a file to do a search, so the search is not looking through the entire drive on the server, it still takes a long time to complete the search. 

I have a very low familiarity with macs and I'm not sure if there is maybe more settings to look though on the macs, but I have spoken to mac support and they have not given me much to go off of.  Any suggestions would be great to try to solve this issue.  Thank you in advance. 

Friday, March 03, 2017 8:56 PM

All replies

• Hi Derek_01,

1. What if other clients with windows OS visit or search shared folder on Server 2008R2, is it slow too?

2. Please check the network connection between the affected machine and the Server 2008R2, verify if the network bandwidth is well;

3. Since you are using "EI Capitan", it's not a windows system, and the search speed may also related with the processing speed of the OS, so it's hard for us to determine the cause.

4. If you know the detailed search progress, you may use network monitor to capture packets to troubleshoot the issue deeply:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=4865

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 06, 2017 9:13 AM
  • Hi Anne,

Thank you for your reply.

All of our other computers are using Windows 10, and we can complete the same searches, as the Macs are trying to, very quickly.   

Thank you for your troubleshooting tips!  I will test them out tomorrow.

Thank you,

Derek  

Tuesday, March 07, 2017 8:31 AM
  • Hi Derek_01,

Welcome to feedback if you need additional assistance.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 08, 2017 8:10 AM