none
Microsoft Remote Desktop for MAC - Insert Key RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, can you please anyone tell me what combination of keys on the apple keyboard will do the INSERT function ... I tried everything like "fn + enter (works in Parallels Desktop)", etc. and nothing work. Thanks
    Saturday, January 25, 2014 11:13 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

I’m afraid that you have to use the On-screen Keyboard as a workaround.

Type without using the keyboard (On-Screen Keyboard)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/type-without-keyboard#type-without-keyboard=windows-7

Thanks.

Jeremy Wu

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 6:22 AM
  • I am afraid that this is an unacceptable solution for an obvious bug.

How would you reach if I would tell you that from now on, you need to type using a single hand?

Sidenote: Interesting to observe that Microsoft decided that people are allowed only to Upvote, never to downvote. I guess StackOverflow model was not really well understood by the UX of these forums ;)

• Edited by uıɹos Thursday, April 2, 2015 1:00 PM
    Thursday, April 2, 2015 12:58 PM
  • Can tell us where we can raise a bug report against RDC for Mac? Clearly the proposed workaround is unacceptable, especially if you are using apps that do require insert to be pressed often.
    Sunday, April 5, 2015 9:55 AM
  • you can use karabiner.app to make f12 into insert for MRD

it works for me

link https://pqrs.org/osx/karabiner/

checkbox "Enable at only Remote Desktop Connection Client - Use F12 as insert" (it's findable by "insert" string)

Friday, April 10, 2015 12:40 AM
  • Hey, Microsoft, how do you think is it possible to live in Windows world without Ins key? The answer is BIG BOLD NO.

So, please, fire this Program Manager and implement this feature ASAP. Without it RDP for MAC is unusable piece of s..oftware.

Monday, January 25, 2016 7:27 PM
  • After upgrading to macOS sierra (OSX 10.12.) this workarround is broken. You now have to use karabiner elements.

Button: Simple Modifications:

+ Add item

Example:

left row: From Key "F12"        |  right row: Keys in pc keyboards "insert"

• Edited by Ruhrgold Saturday, December 3, 2016 8:44 AM
    Wednesday, November 30, 2016 6:29 PM
  • Come on guys! is that hard to make it work with the "Fn + Enter" keys?. PLEASE!!!
    Wednesday, December 13, 2017 8:23 PM
  • Karabiner does not seem to work (OSX 10.13.2)  It is simple to setup and configure, but does not have the desired impact (changing text input into replace(overwrite).  Any other details on how you got this to work?

Friday, January 5, 2018 3:34 PM