Unable to enable Hyper-V on Windows 10 build 10130 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I did a clean install of the Windows 10 Insider Preview build 10130.

After that, I tried enabling Hyper-V features (via the enable Windows Features). It said it required a restart and upon restarting, it gave a message at the boot screen saying that it is unable to complete installing features and is reverting. This is followed by two restarts and then I am able to login.

Please help me. I need to enable Hyper-V to install the Windows 10 Mobile emulators.

Thanks,

Ratish

Saturday, May 30, 2015 3:56 PM

Answers

• Finally did a clean install of build 10130 and I was able to enable Hyper V. :)
    • Marked as answer by Ratish Philip Wednesday, July 1, 2015 4:09 PM
    Wednesday, July 1, 2015 4:09 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I discovered this problem too, but I was able to fix it by disabling the network adapters, (For some reason the new update messed with them causing many problems, I couldn't even right click so I had to use the disable button at the top, just under the address bar). After that I was able to re-install Hyper-V.

When complete (IF, it may not happen for you) you encounter problems starting up the VM like I did; follow these steps, they worked like a charm for me, http://toddbaginski.com/blog/fixing-a-broken-hyper-v-vhd-chain/. (SKIP down to the step where you are editing the VM Settings, the steps before are useless.) 

But back up your VM HDD just in case if possible.

I hope this helps.

• Proposed as answer by Roshan Lyons Saturday, May 30, 2015 4:59 PM
    • Edited by Roshan Lyons Saturday, May 30, 2015 5:03 PM
    Saturday, May 30, 2015 4:56 PM
  • I've got the same problem. Hyper-V was working fine until 10130 installed today. After that both networking and Hyper-V were screwed. Managed to get networking working again (by uninstalling the network adapters in device manager and rebooting), but Hyper-V still not working. Cant create an External Virtual Switch.

I've just done a Windows 10 reset and that hasn't fixed it. Have tried reinstalling Hyper-V and 3 of the 4 components install ok, but Hyper-V Services just wont install.

Not sure what else to try apart from trying to install an older preview version.

Saturday, May 30, 2015 9:44 PM
  • I've tried all of the above and have no luck even getting it enabled.

Saturday, May 30, 2015 10:23 PM
  • I forgot to mention, when it actually does install, it is hard to tell if it is working because it DOES NOT install shortcuts.

If you have the files in your 'ProgramFiles\HyperV' then it's most likely it's installed.

To check, you'll need either a copy of the HyperV manager shortcut (From another computer, OR create a new shortcut with the following strings;

Target Path: %windir%\system32\mmc.exe "%windir%\system32\virtmgmt.msc"

Start In: %ProgramFiles%\Hyper-V\

• Edited by Roshan Lyons Sunday, May 31, 2015 12:40 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Marco_Fabbri Saturday, June 13, 2015 10:02 AM
    Sunday, May 31, 2015 12:38 AM
  • No it is not installed for me (the path is not available).

Sunday, May 31, 2015 3:30 AM
  • Did a clean install of 10130 but still unable to install hyper-v, so gave up and installed build 10074 instead and hyper v installs and works fine. Now have to hope MS fix the 10130/hyper v issue before it updates again.
    Sunday, May 31, 2015 12:06 PM
  • The issue I ran into when upgrading to 10130 was that my network adapters were not functioning after, as others have noted. I was able to get around it by uninstalling them in device manager and letting the drivers reinstall.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the Hyper-V Role a number of times, but did not find it helped. Currently, I can start Virtual Machines, but cannot create a virtual switch without the Hyper-V service crashing. Also as was noted by others the option for creating an external switch is greyed out.

My best guess is that the problem is related to Hyper-V virtual switch bug, but that is broad and really just a guess.

I wonder if anyone has been able to get this working or if it is tied to specific hardware or something that we are using. 

Thanks,

Andrew

• Edited by side_show Tuesday, June 2, 2015 1:45 AM gramer
    Tuesday, June 2, 2015 1:44 AM
  • Hi Sir,

Please refer to the solution for similar issue with 10122 build :

" I tried to activate only the platform and not the Tools and the installation succeeded this time also after the reboot. Then I activate also the tools feature (it does not requires any neww reboot) and also that feature has been activated "

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/4396e6f9-117c-4a44-948d-e291845f91fb/windows-10-build-10122-i-cannot-turn-on-hyperv-feature?forum=WinPreview2014General

Hope it is helpful to you.

Best Regards,

Elton Ji

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com .

Tuesday, June 2, 2015 1:49 AM
  • As a side note, I've not run into any issues with installing it. I used powershell to add and remove the role. I'm not sure if some of the issues people are getting with trying to install it might be bypassed by using powershell. Just a thought.

Good luck,

Andrew

Tuesday, June 2, 2015 1:52 AM
  • Under the Hyper V Platform I just enabled the Hyper-V HyperVisor. It required a restart.

That went through smoothly. Then, after the restart, I enabled Hyper-V Services. It also required a restart. During the restart, it gave the old message "Unable to finish installing the features. Undoing changes".

Tried installing the Windows 10 mobile emulators after that to see if they get installed. The installation required a restart (which I believe tried to enable the HyperV services) and it gave the same error message.

How do I start the Hyper-V Services through PowerShell?

Thursday, June 4, 2015 8:38 PM
  • Hi Sir,

>>How do I start the Hyper-V Services through PowerShell?

To get windows feature please try to use command :

Get-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online

To install windows feature please use command:

Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature –Online –FeatureName xxxxx

Best Regards,

Elton Ji

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com .

Monday, June 8, 2015 2:31 AM
  • Hi Elton Ji,

Tried installing HyperV using Powershell.

Unfortunately, I got the same result as before.

Hoping that they will fix it in the next build.

Till then, no emulators :'(

Regards,

Ratish

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 2:53 AM
  • Ratish, Hi.

I had the same problem but was able to resolve it. Taking a hint from Elton's post, I did the following:

1. Uninstall (with delete option) the network adapters from Device Manager and have Windows re-detect them.

2. Install Hyper-V (no management tools).

3. If Hyper-V is successfully installed, install the management tools.

It's interesting to discover that doing the procedures somehow resolved the external switch problem as well.

Hope this helps...

Faelmar

Thursday, June 18, 2015 4:59 AM
  • Hi Faelmar,

I tried your solution. Unfortunately, it didn't work for me.

Though I am able to enable HyperV-HyperVisor, I am not able to enable Hyper-V Services. It always fails.

Regards,

Ratish

Thursday, June 18, 2015 4:55 PM
  • This one helped, I need to create a shortcut (I cannot pin the Hyper-V manager that's strange).
    Tuesday, June 30, 2015 5:47 PM
  • Finally did a clean install of build 10130 and I was able to enable Hyper V. :)
    • Marked as answer by Ratish Philip Wednesday, July 1, 2015 4:09 PM
    Wednesday, July 1, 2015 4:09 PM
  • So this doesn't help for 10130, but 10159 fixes this issue without having to do a fresh install.  After yesterday's update, I was able to create a virtual network interface and everything worked great!

-- Arian T. Kulp | http://www.ariankulp.com Please remember to mark as helpful, or mark as answer if this helps you!

Wednesday, July 1, 2015 5:49 PM
  • Hi,

I did a clean install of the Windows 10 Insider Preview build 10130.

After that, I tried enabling Hyper-V features (via the enable Windows Features). It said it required a restart and upon restarting, it gave a message at the boot screen saying that it is unable to complete installing features and is reverting. This is followed by two restarts and then I am able to login.

Please help me. I need to enable Hyper-V to install the Windows 10 Mobile emulators.

Thanks,

Ratish

I also did what someone else suggested.

In the Add Features window, I opened the Hyper-V group and selected just the service, then clicked "Apply" and went through the reboot cycle. Then I opened the Add/Remove features window again and added the management tools. 

After that, the Hyper-V management console would connect to the local machine, and I seem to be able to run the emulator from inside Visual Studio. (Just to make things really crazy, this is all running inside of VMWare Workstation... so a VM inside of a VM.)

Thursday, July 2, 2015 10:30 PM
  • Build 10159 appears to have fixed the hyper v installation issues. Still had to delete my network adapters from device manager after the upgrade though!
    Friday, July 3, 2015 6:18 AM
  • Just jumped over 10159 and did a fresh install of 10162 and have same issue as above. I have tried to install hyper-v with and without tools. with and without NIC's enabled and it is sill failing it looks by logs it is trying to do a licensing update during install process and when this fails so does the install.

This shows in system logs at approximant time of install reboot.

Event ID 8211

Update Window's license and product key tokens failed with 0x80070005.

This error showed both with and without NIC enabled.

Thanks.

Sunday, July 5, 2015 7:40 PM
  • Same issue on Windows 10 10240, I have tried to install hyper-v with and without tools. with and without NIC's enabled and it is still failing... I don't want to reinstall OS, this is a fresh install of Windows 10!
    Monday, August 10, 2015 5:10 PM
  • That solved the issue for me in Windows 10 Education - I really thank you for re-sharing that information.

Best Regards,
    Tobi Holy

Saturday, October 24, 2015 8:56 AM