none
can 2 people connect to remote desktop at the same time?

Question

• Right now i have windows server 2008.

when one person is connected, and someone else connects, it disconnects the first person.

if i buy a TS CAL, can it make them both stay connected?

It is very important that they both can see what the other person is doing.  Maybe they have 2 mouses, or maybe they fight over the same mouse.   Either way is fine.

Please let me know about this.  Thank you
    Monday, November 10, 2008 9:46 PM

All replies

• Here is a way to achieve that:

1. first disable "Restrict each user to a single session" policy in TSCONFIG.msc.
    2. Then login as the same user from two different RDP connections.
    3. From on TS session, using TSAdmin.msc or Windows Task Manager's Users Tab, remote control the other session.

This way both of them will be workin on the same session.

Thanks,
    Mahadev Alladi [MSFT]

Monday, November 10, 2008 10:16 PM
  • thanks for replying but that is not what i need.

with your setting, multiple people can join, but they join in different sessions, and they still can't see what eachother are doing.  I changed it back to the original setting, which was the way I need it.  Everybody in ONE session.

Is there a way to make both people see what windows the other person has open and what they are doing?
    • Edited by lake393 Monday, November 10, 2008 10:41 PM
    Monday, November 10, 2008 10:40 PM
  • No, there is no way to do that.
    Monday, November 10, 2008 11:16 PM
  • thank you
    Tuesday, November 11, 2008 2:46 AM
  • how about using mstsc /console ?

here is some MS info
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278845

of course the users will need permissions..

if not, you can alway let them connect using remote admin or vnc and fight over the mouse, but you will have to log in to the server with a user that is not the administrator (so that they cant mess with the server)

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 3:56 PM
  • I would script a login to auto shadow the other user.  You would need 2 TS CALs, but it will work for what you need.

The console command/DOS command is "shadow". You can work it out from there. We developed a small utility that connects users based off of UID using the shadow DOS command.
    Tuesday, November 11, 2008 11:54 PM