none
DHCP server configured with IPv6 Scope, but devices not registered in DNS sever RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Experts,

I am setting up a small lab environment where we have the following setup:

- pfSense firewall

- Windows Server Domain Controller (DNS and DHCP services installed)

- Unifi AP for Wifi Access

I have managed to set everything up, but I am struggling with getting the IPv6 DHCP service to work correctly (or at least I believe its not working correctly!).

I am finding devices such as mobile phones when connected to the WIFI are registering correctly with a DHCP issued IPv4 address and registers into DNS server without issue.

However the same device obtains a DHCP address from the IPv6 sever but will not register in the DNS server, when looking at the lease details the IAID seems to be either being assigned 0 or 1 and the Name field remains empty and rather then getting the devices host name (I would be expecting it to be the same name as that used for IPv4) 

Should this be the expected behaviour ? the device in the screenshot is my Iphone, but this is occurring with Andriod and other google devices that I know should be getting a IPv6 address.

Windows systems and Linux systems do not seem to be having this issue and register as expected.

• Edited by sunnyg_ Wednesday, May 13, 2020 6:00 PM
    Wednesday, May 13, 2020 5:59 PM

All replies

• Hi ,

Please refer to the following steps:

1.First check the DHCP settings for IPV6 as below:

2.Configure Credentials and add the DHCP server to the DnsUpdateProxy group.

3.Foe testing, change dynamic updates from secure only to nonsecure to do a test.

If the above steps still didn't work, please understand, we did not have non-windows device to test in our lab.

In such case, we need to capture the network packet to analyze the register process if you want to know the cause. However, analysis of network traffic has been beyond forum support level,I would also suggest you contact Microsoft Customer Support and Services where more in-depth investigation can be done so that you would get a more satisfying explanation and solution to this issue.

Here is the link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/customer-service-phone-number

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Thursday, May 14, 2020 2:23 AM
  • Hi Candy, 

Can you advise on how I can get my account confirmed so that I can attach screenshots, to better explain the issue.

The issue is only occurring with IPv6 assignments not with IPv4 assignments, it seems that Windows DHCP server does not see the device name.

Regards

Sunny

Thursday, May 14, 2020 2:33 PM
  • Hi Sunny,

If you cannot upload the screenshot ,your account just needs to be verified. You can expedite verification by replying to this thread with your request.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/94f05325-8566-4c4c-806c-179a5a0beafc/verify-accounts-43?forum=reportabug

Best Regards,

Candy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Friday, May 15, 2020 10:02 AM
  • Hi Sunny,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.                   

Best Regards,

Candy

Tuesday, May 19, 2020 6:21 AM