none
Set "always show all icons and notifications on the taskbar" via Group policy RRS feed

• Question

• Any ideas on how to set "always show all icons and notifications on the taskbar" on a set of users?

I thought it would be under User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Start Menu and Taskbar, but I cannot find it.

Anyone know if this can be enforced via policy?

Thursday, July 29, 2010 9:14 PM

Answers

•  

Hello,

Thank you for your post here.

Unfortunately, there is not any group policy settings which can set "always show all icons and notifications on the taskbar".

To distribute the setting, you can create a default domain user profile and copy it to the following network share. When the domain user account is first logged onto the domain, the default profile will be applied.

\\<Server_name>\NETLOGON\Default User.v2

How to customize default user profiles in Windows 7 and in Windows Server 2008 R2

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973289

• Marked as answer by huskers95 Friday, July 30, 2010 8:21 PM
    Friday, July 30, 2010 6:59 AM

All replies

•  

Hello,

Unfortunately, there is not any group policy settings which can set "always show all icons and notifications on the taskbar".

To distribute the setting, you can create a default domain user profile and copy it to the following network share. When the domain user account is first logged onto the domain, the default profile will be applied.

How to customize default user profiles in Windows 7 and in Windows Server 2008 R2

• Marked as answer by huskers95 Friday, July 30, 2010 8:21 PM
    Friday, July 30, 2010 6:59 AM
  • Hi,

fall over the same issue some secs ago... solution: create a GPO pref with HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer!EnableAutoTray=0

• Proposed as answer by Justin007 Thursday, September 13, 2012 6:18 PM
    Friday, March 25, 2011 8:54 AM
  • Hi,

fall over the same issue some secs ago... solution: create a GPO pref with HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer!EnableAutoTray=0

Unfortunately this registry hack doesn't solve the problem for me.

How can we change "always show all icons and notifications on the taskbar" with Group Policy?

Monday, October 24, 2011 8:25 AM
  •  

Hello,

This would only apply if a new profile is created, not for existing ones.
    Monday, October 24, 2011 8:26 AM
  • no policy but you may add a registry key

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

new REG_DWORD named "EnableAutoTray" with value "0"

KR

guennie
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 3:33 PM
  • It actually HKCU not HKLM...  Other than that, perfect!

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

new REG_DWORD named "EnableAutoTray" with value "0" to show all, "1" to hide them. 
    • Edited by cmatthew Thursday, January 24, 2013 8:51 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Sean LimingMVP Thursday, February 19, 2015 5:27 AM
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 8:49 PM
  • As this can be controlled by the registry key

new REG_DWORD named "EnableAutoTray" with value "0" to show all, "1" to hide them. 

As stated by cmatthew, you can set this via GPO using either the export of the regkey and a tool like reg2adm to create an .ADM file in a new GPO, or alternatively using the Group Policy Preferences settings in 2008.

• Proposed as answer by Charles Marcus Thursday, October 17, 2013 11:51 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Charles Marcus Thursday, October 17, 2013 11:51 AM
    Tuesday, February 5, 2013 11:12 AM
  • I'm trying to understand why the worst answer is marked as the best answer...  I just added my vote for Andres' response which worked perfectly, although I'd like to clarify...

You have to add this registry key using the Preferences under 'User Configuration', NOT 'Computer Configuration'. I tried this first under 'Computer Configuration' when I first tried this and it didn't work... a hint was the weird way it referred to HKCU (HKEY_CURRENT_USER (HKU\.DEFAULT).

So, edit the policy, then navigate to:

User Configuration > Preferences > Windows Settings > Registry

and add key REG_DWORD named EnableSutoTray with value '0' to show or '1' to hide under:

Works like a charm.

• Proposed as answer by djmarco Tuesday, March 18, 2014 3:58 PM
    Thursday, October 17, 2013 11:55 AM
  • I second this Charles, worked first time (2008R2/Win7 environment)

Many thanks, 

Marcus.

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 3:56 PM
  • I third this Charles, nice explanation. Note that if you create a Group Policy for this setting and run GPUpdate you will need to logoff or restart the Explorer process* for this change to be affected.

* Use Task Manager to restart the Explorer process or "Get-Process Explorer | Kill" in PowerShell.

Sunday, May 18, 2014 2:06 PM
  • I realise this is an old thread, but it was very high up in an Internet search for "always show all icons and notifications on the taskbar" and "group policy".

Unlike what others have said, there is a Group Policy setting for this, and it is in User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Start Menu and Taskbar. You need to set "Turn off notification area cleanup" to Enabled.

• Proposed as answer by John Veness Tuesday, May 12, 2015 9:20 AM
    Tuesday, May 12, 2015 9:17 AM
  • Corr: the REG_DWORD Name is EnableAutoTray not EnableSutoTray
    Wednesday, February 17, 2016 7:15 AM
  • Thanks for posting this. This is definitely the "correct" answer and what I needed to find.
    Wednesday, April 27, 2016 6:57 PM
  • This answer is just wrong. It *IS* possible to control this with Group Policy, and you can manually configure it via the registry. See the info John Veness posted toward the end of the thread for the correct answer.
    Friday, April 14, 2017 3:35 PM
  • Hi,
    I was curious if "always display all icons" on system tray could be turned on through any settings options or such to avoid this hassle-some process. as I'm not a very advanced user of windows, the solutions given here seem so complicated. will appreciate a simple suggestion to turn on the above mentioned settings. thanks
    Wednesday, October 25, 2017 9:44 PM
  • Thanks John for answering the question, you are spot on.  I wish all the other posts mentioning registry keys were removed.

The original question related to Group Policy, and this is it!

Friday, June 28, 2019 1:53 AM