none
Backup fails with error code 0x80070002 / Assigning drive letter for system-reserved partition helps, but why ...?

General discussion

• Hi,

seems the Backup problem with error code 0x80070002 struck me as well:

Backup fails with only 0x80070002 and no further information. I'm not doing a backup for the whole drive,
    but for selected folders from several partitions (being on the same physical HDD).

I've read lots and lots of threads here, so here is what I tried so far and what I can give as information:

- System is Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

- trying to back up to 1.5 TB external HDD (Western Digital) connected via USB

- system has 8 GB RAM, but chipset is Intel P55 so I guess I don't have Nvidia-based USB
      (device manager says "Intel(R) 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 3B34").
       So I guess the Nvidia USB fix mentioned elsewhere does not apply as well

- concerning shadowcopy storage area:
       Situation was that used/assigned/maximum size was nearly the same values, but I changed it to be the following (and it did not make any difference
       after a reboot):

C:\Windows\system32>vssadmin list shadowstorage
    vssadmin 1.1 - Verwaltungsbefehlszeilenprogramm des Volumeschattenkopie-Dienstes

(C) Copyright 2001-2005 Microsoft Corp.

Schattenkopie-Speicherassoziation
       Für Volume: (C:)\\?\Volume{06d90074-b8bd-11de-be0f-806e6f6e6963}\
       Schattenkopie-Speichervolume: (C:)\\?\Volume{06d90074-b8bd-11de-be0f-806e6f6e
    6963}\
       Verwendeter Schattenkopie-Speicherbereich: 9.196 GB (4%)
       Zugewiesener Schattenkopie-Speicherbereich: 9.412 GB (4%)
       Max. Schattenkopie-Speicherbereich: 21.474 GB (11%)

- in another thread I found something about USN journal on system-reserved partition after having installed Acronis True Image Home 2010 (which I also tried and removed again). But my output for this is as follows:

C:\Windows\system32>fsutil usn queryjournal h:
    Fehler:  Das Datenträgeränderungsjournal ist nicht aktiviert.

- no dual boot configuration - system was a clean install of Windows 7-64-Pro, no other OS added afterwards

- I checked the registry for the paths for the profiles, seems to be alright (did not check this any more because of the workaround
      I found (see below))

- did a chkdsk /R on all three source partitions (where I take data from for the backup) and on the target partition (on external HDD):
      no errors found

What I finally found as a workaround the following:

If no drive letter is assigned to the small system-reserved partition (containing bcd), backup fails with the above
    problem. Upon reboot, I also see error event 24620 from Bitlocker-Driver in the event log ("Überprüfung des verschlüsselten Volumes: Die Volumeinformationen auf "\\?\Volume{06d90073-b8bd-11de-be0f-806e6f6e6963}" können nicht gelesen werden.") where the volume id refers to the small
    system-reserved partition (checked it in the registry when I (for testing) assigned a drive letter to that partition). Noteworthy that
    I *NEVER* did anything with BitLocker (and remember, my version is Win7-64-PRO).

BUT if I assign a drive letter to the partition and reboot, I don't see the BitLocker error event in the log and backup works.

This behaviour can be reproduced (take away drive letter, reboot -> BitLocker error event, backup will fail. Reassign drive letter,
    reboot -> no BitLocker error, backup works).

(Backup worked in the past when I tried it in order to compare it to more sophisticated tools, and I think at that time there also was no drive letter assigned to that partition, but I'm not 100% sure about this)

Can you please explain that? Of course I do not want to waste a drive letter for that partition only to make backup work.

Regards,
    Mario
    • Changed type Bikash Agrawala Friday, March 19, 2010 12:57 PM Customer not responding
    • Changed type Bikash Agrawala Friday, March 19, 2010 12:57 PM Customer not responding
    Friday, March 5, 2010 12:08 PM

All replies

• Hello,
      thank you for bringing your problem to us and trying out different options.

The behaviour of backup succeeding with drive letter assigned to the system volume but failing without the drive letter assigned is a weird one.  As also mentioned you see a bitlocker error without the drive letter and no error with the drive letter, this may not be a backup related
    problem but we need to confirm. The Windows Backup expects all the volumes that have bitlocker enabled on it to be in unlocked state. We
    will try to investigate this issue.

Can you please zip the folder %windir%\logs\WindowsBackup and send it to
    bikasha-nospam@microsoft.com (Use the highlighted part only) for analyzing the problem. Please keep the subject of the email same as this thread for easy tracking.

Also since there is a kb http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976972 related to this problem I would suggest to contact the support to check if the KB is applicable in your case. The "Get Help Now" on the top right hand side has the link to contact
    support.

Also to resolve your issue faster I would suggest to start a parallel thread in the following forum specifying the bitlocker problem as this could be cause of the problem.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverfiles/threads

Thanks,

Bikash Agrawala [MSFT]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Thanks, Bikash Agrawala [MSFT] --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    • Edited by Bikash Agrawala Wednesday, March 10, 2010 9:19 AM Additional information
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 9:12 AM
  • Hello,
       can you please send us the logs to help you better and also update on whether or not the suggested KB was installed.

Thanks,

Bikash Agrawala [MSFT]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Thanks, Bikash Agrawala [MSFT] --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Friday, March 12, 2010 9:19 AM
  • Hello Mario,
       can you please provide us the information requested as above to help you resolve your issue.
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 6:03 AM
  • I have the exact same issue as the OP on W764bit with BL. Two things may have caused this 1)  installation of another HDD and unencryption of BL along with reincryption of both the old and new drives or 2) installation of Computrace (which apprarently tinkers with the MBR).

Have searched for a solution high and dry to no avail. Did SFC, tinkered with registry, start/restart services all to no avail.

Bikash can you help me?

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 4:31 PM
  • Thanks!

I recently got this same error, and none of the solutions I googled worked. This one did. I assigned a drive letter to the small 100MB system reserved partition, and now the backup runs.

I am using Windows 7 64 bit, but not Bitlocker. I am however using TrueCrypt to encrypt an external disk holding another backup (not from my computer, but from Veeam backup, backing up a virtual server). The external disk I am backing up my pc to, is not encrypted in any way.

Regards

Karl

Monday, January 9, 2012 2:26 PM
  • Thanks!

I recently got this same error, and none of the solutions I googled worked. This one did. I assigned a drive letter to the small 100MB system reserved partition, and now the backup runs.

It is very annoying problem with MS backup on Windows 7. See my message - http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsbackup/thread/3c1c57de-11d2-4497-bd02-959d22e48184

I think it is bug in Backup.

Regards

Sergey

• Edited by Serg-V Wednesday, February 1, 2012 6:04 AM
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 6:03 AM
  • I had the same problem. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit clean install, backup always fails with error code 0x80070002. Spent hours searching to no avail. Almost gave up when I finally found this thread. Assigning a drive letter to the hidden 100MB system reserved partition solved the problem like a charm. Question is: why? If it's a bug of Win7 backup, MS should address it ASAP as I can imagine the problem will be widespread.
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 5:22 AM
  • Assigning the drive letter worked for me.  Thanks - couldn't find the answer anywhere else.

Thursday, May 30, 2013 1:35 PM
  • Can you explain to me how to go about assigning a drive letter to the bcd portion of the C drive?  I also have not been able to back up computer since 2014 in April.  I receive the error code 0X80070002 each time a backup occurs. Thanks for any help.  
    Sunday, February 15, 2015 11:48 PM
  • Thanks!

I am using Windows 7 64 bit, but not Bitlocker. I am however using TrueCrypt to encrypt an external disk holding another backup (not from my computer, but from Veeam backup, backing up a virtual server). The external disk I am backing up my pc to, is not encrypted in any way.

Regards

Karl

No dice! Did not work.
    Wednesday, December 7, 2016 4:10 AM