none
iPad / RDC 8.1.5 to Server w/RDS Gateway Unsuccessful RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm getting a message stating the following:
    "We couldn't connect to the remote PC.  Make sure the PC is turned on and connected to the network, and that remote access is enabled.  If this keeps happening, ask your admin or tech support for help."

A few things:
    1) I am connected to the internet & I'm outside of the corporate LAN
    2) Regular RDP connections from my Windows PC works
    3) The server uses an RDC gateway and this is setup on the iPad
    4) I've triple checked my settings to no avail.

Anyone else having this issue?

Friday, January 2, 2015 6:30 PM

Answers

• Can you verify this setting on the gateway server?

The iPAD Remote Desktop Client does not support RD Gateway messaging. Verify that the Remote Desktop Resource Access Policy (RD RAP) for your RD Gateway server does not specify Only allow computers with support for RD Gateway Messaging or you will not be able to connect.

I could see that causing you issues.

Also if you are indeed hitting the gateway server from the ipad application logging on the RDGateway server might show why your having issues. In the event viewer look at the TerminalServices logs and Remote Desktop Services logs. I think you should have a TerminialServices-Gateway category if i recall.

At the start screen type "event" and select the event viewer. Then navigate to Application and Services Logs > Microsoft > Windows > TerminalServices-Gateway. You will have to look for informational, warning and error events to piece it together if there is anything of importance.

Monday, January 5, 2015 4:00 PM

All replies

• hso04,

Few questions :

You said "Regular RDP connections from my Windows PC works" , so is your Windows PC from where you are able to connect inside the Corporate LAN network or is it outside the network ?

Also , does your RDP work from a PC when you are  connected to the internet & I'm outside of the corporate LAN ?

Can you make sure that the resource that you are trying to access is available on the Internet and is not restricted to the Corporate LAN ?- Anantesh

Friday, January 2, 2015 11:15 PM
  • Along with what Anantesh is saying. On your PC make sure your not on a VPN some administrators will make it bypass the gateway if it can find a local connection. When you connect does it tell you what certificate the RD gateway connection is signed with? Your gateway settings have a web-service URL. Can you copy that URL and put it in the safari browser and check the connectivity? Also try and verify the certificate info. A certificate from an unknown authority can cause issues. Your IT team if using a CA for it might have to give you the CA root cert to put on your iPAD.

On the PC side if you go into remote desktop and it the drop down error by show options, then navigate to advanced and go to the connect from anywhere settings. Do you have information populated in there that matches the domain of the webservice you connect to on the iPAD? Or are you connecting with a shortcut that has the settings defined? Or are you using the remote app and desktop connections in the control panel? Or the windows 8 app? Or finally are you using the RDWeb page to gain access?

Friday, January 2, 2015 11:29 PM
  • Hi,

Is there any update for your case?

Thanks.

Dharmesh Solanki

TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 5, 2015 6:31 AM
  • hso04,

Few questions :

You said "Regular RDP connections from my Windows PC works" , so is your Windows PC from where you are able to connect inside the Corporate LAN network or is it outside the network ?

- I'm outside of the LAN.

Also , does your RDP work from a PC when you are  connected to the internet & I'm outside of the corporate LAN ?

- Yes, I can RDP from my Windows 7 machine from outside the LAN.

Can you make sure that the resource that you are trying to access is available on the Internet and is not restricted to the Corporate LAN ?

- It is available - other people can connect fine as well but not via iOS devices.

- Anantesh

Monday, January 5, 2015 6:58 AM
  • Along with what Anantesh is saying. On your PC make sure your not on a VPN some administrators will make it bypass the gateway if it can find a local connection.

- I'm not on a VPN.

When you connect does it tell you what certificate the RD gateway connection is signed with? Your gateway settings have a web-service URL. Can you copy that URL and put it in the safari browser and check the connectivity? Also try and verify the certificate info. A certificate from an unknown authority can cause issues. Your IT team if using a CA for it might have to give you the CA root cert to put on your iPAD.

-The certificate is from a trusted 3rd party via a web browser & all information is correct.

On the PC side if you go into remote desktop and it the drop down error by show options, then navigate to advanced and go to the connect from anywhere settings. Do you have information populated in there that matches the domain of the webservice you connect to on the iPAD? Or are you connecting with a shortcut that has the settings defined? Or are you using the remote app and desktop connections in the control panel? Or the windows 8 app? Or finally are you using the RDWeb page to gain access?

- I'm using the standard RDP app provided by Windows 7, specifically mstsc.exe.  In the RDG server settings it states to use the external DNS name and logon method is 'ask me later'.  All of these match on the iPad.

Monday, January 5, 2015 7:03 AM
  • Can you verify this setting on the gateway server?

The iPAD Remote Desktop Client does not support RD Gateway messaging. Verify that the Remote Desktop Resource Access Policy (RD RAP) for your RD Gateway server does not specify Only allow computers with support for RD Gateway Messaging or you will not be able to connect.

I could see that causing you issues.

Also if you are indeed hitting the gateway server from the ipad application logging on the RDGateway server might show why your having issues. In the event viewer look at the TerminalServices logs and Remote Desktop Services logs. I think you should have a TerminialServices-Gateway category if i recall.

At the start screen type "event" and select the event viewer. Then navigate to Application and Services Logs > Microsoft > Windows > TerminalServices-Gateway. You will have to look for informational, warning and error events to piece it together if there is anything of importance.

Monday, January 5, 2015 4:00 PM