IE9 Group Policy Zone Template Settings not applied

• IE9 on Windows 7 PC joined to domain; domain servers are Win2K8 R2

With a new installation of Win7 and IE9, the Internet Options -> Security tab displays default zone settings of:

Internet – Medium-High

Intranet – Medium-Low

Trusted – Medium

Restricted – High

In Group Policy, in either Computer or User Configuration -> Windows Components -> Internet Explorer -> Internet Control Panel -> Security, if I change a Zone Template to Enabled – Medium (and also the Locked-Down Internet Zone Template per recommendation) the original value is still displayed.

For example, out-of-box IE9 Internet Zone is default of Medium-High.

In GP, set the Internet Zone Template and Locked-Down Internet Zone Template to Enabled – Medium;

Force update of policy to machine/user;

Confirm policy applied using RSOP;

Open Internet Options -> Security tab and it still displays Internet zone set to Medium-High, however it is now grayed out and cannot be changed.

How to get these Group Policies to apply the setting to IE9 Security zones?

Only method I found that works is User Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Internet Explorer Maintenance -> Security and import the Security Zone settings.

Friday, July 29, 2011 8:47 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please apply only Computer settings GPO and enable loopback processing.

Good luck.

Monday, August 01, 2011 7:10 AM
  • Marius,

Sorry.  This does not work, either.

I had already tested Computer policies, only.

I retested using User Group Policy Loopback processing enabled, with the setting at Replace.

IE9 still displays the Zone Template settings as the machine defaults, not the settings I enabled in policy.

Besides, we do need to apply the User Settings on these machines, so applying only Computer settings will not work for our situation.

Monday, August 01, 2011 7:46 PM