Hyper-V Replica Broker RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I just got into a company and the environment is:

1 Cluster with 2 Hyper-V 2012 Servers.

2. Failover Cluster is configured with all 80VMs in the Roles.

3. There is no Hyper-V Replica Broker Role installed. Can I now start install the Hyper-V Replica Broker Role? Will this cause any issues?

Reason is: Once Server 1 restarted, all VM migrated to Server 2 but never migrate back to Server 1 so all 80 VMs stayed on Server 2.

Thank you

Tuan

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 12:42 AM

Answers

• Hi Tuan,

>>There is no Hyper-V Replica Broker Role installed. Can I now start install the Hyper-V Replica Broker Role? Will this cause any issues?

You could install the role and it would not cause issues.

>>Once Server 1 restarted, all VM migrated to Server 2 but never migrated back to Server 1 so all 80 VMs stayed on Server 2.

You could configure preferred owners for the VMs and enable failback.

VMs would run on the alternate node by default when the failed node was back online. Once failback is enabled, they would migrate to the preferred node automatically.

Open Failover Cluster Manager, expand cluster>Roles. Right click on the VM and open Properties. Choose Preferred Owners on General tab. On Failover tab, select Allow Failback and choose between the two settings.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Leo Han Tuesday, December 8, 2015 7:15 AM
    • Marked as answer by Leo Han Wednesday, December 9, 2015 7:28 AM
    Wednesday, November 25, 2015 8:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I just got into a company and the environment is:

1 Cluster with 2 Hyper-V 2012 Servers.

2. Failover Cluster is configured with all 80VMs in the Roles.

3. There is no Hyper-V Replica Broker Role installed. Can I now start install the Hyper-V Replica Broker Role? Will this cause any issues?

Reason is: Once Server 1 restarted, all VM migrated to Server 2 but never migrated back to Server 1 so all 80 VMs stayed on Server 2.

Thank you

Tuan

• Merged by Leo Han Wednesday, November 25, 2015 8:18 AM duplicated
    Wednesday, November 25, 2015 12:42 AM
  • Hi Tuan,

>>There is no Hyper-V Replica Broker Role installed. Can I now start install the Hyper-V Replica Broker Role? Will this cause any issues?

You could install the role and it would not cause issues.

>>Once Server 1 restarted, all VM migrated to Server 2 but never migrated back to Server 1 so all 80 VMs stayed on Server 2.

You could configure preferred owners for the VMs and enable failback.

VMs would run on the alternate node by default when the failed node was back online. Once failback is enabled, they would migrate to the preferred node automatically.

Open Failover Cluster Manager, expand cluster>Roles. Right click on the VM and open Properties. Choose Preferred Owners on General tab. On Failover tab, select Allow Failback and choose between the two settings.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Leo Han Tuesday, December 8, 2015 7:15 AM
    • Marked as answer by Leo Han Wednesday, December 9, 2015 7:28 AM
    Wednesday, November 25, 2015 8:37 AM
  • Thanks so much Leo!

Will configure the Owner and Failback option. Will check back the next update schedule and see if the failback worked.

Thanks

Tuan

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 6:56 PM