none
Windows Storage Server 2012 R2 or Windows Server 2012 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm thinking building a Windows server which will store lot of data, and also hosting some hyper-v.
    Should I use the Windows Storage Server 2012 R2 or Windows Server 2012 R2?
    Thanks for help.

Jason

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 3:46 AM

Answers

• I dont think that you need to use "Windows Storage Server" just make sure that server which running Hyper-V role have no other things in it. you can install hyper-v and then install storage as virtual machine.

Akshay Pate

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 5:14 AM
  • Hi,
    I agree with Akshay. Although Windows Storage Server 2012 R2 has multiple updated functions, Hyper-V is not supported in Windows Storage Server 2012 R2 Workgroup and you can have only 2 VMs in Windows Storage Server 2012 R2 Standard. If you don't need multiple VMs, maybe you can install windows storage server 2012 R2 for better storage. Otherwise, Windows server 2012 R2 is better for you.
    For more detailed information, please refer to the link below:
    Windows Storage Server Overview

Best regards,
    Susie

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 9:13 AM

All replies

• I dont think that you need to use "Windows Storage Server" just make sure that server which running Hyper-V role have no other things in it. you can install hyper-v and then install storage as virtual machine.

Akshay Pate

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 5:14 AM
  • Hi,
    I agree with Akshay. Although Windows Storage Server 2012 R2 has multiple updated functions, Hyper-V is not supported in Windows Storage Server 2012 R2 Workgroup and you can have only 2 VMs in Windows Storage Server 2012 R2 Standard. If you don't need multiple VMs, maybe you can install windows storage server 2012 R2 for better storage. Otherwise, Windows server 2012 R2 is better for you.
    For more detailed information, please refer to the link below:
    Windows Storage Server Overview

Best regards,
    Susie

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 9:13 AM