none
Does Win7 or W2K8 server support RFC 6106? RRS feed

• Question

• Does Win7 or W2K8 server support RFC 6106?

Meaning, if my router can be configured to supply the RDNSS and DNSSL options in the RA, will the Windows7 host be able to process that info accordingly?

Also, does (or when will) W2K8 server support the configuration of RDNSS and DNSSL when the W2K8 server is an IPv6 router?

Thanx...Jeff

jeff carrell
    Friday, January 20, 2012 5:38 PM

Answers

All replies

• No version of Windows supports RFC 6106, either as a client or a router, and there are no plans currently to add support.
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 11:11 AM
  • rdnssd-win32 should enable Windows to do this, though the download is source-only and it seems not to have been been updated in a very long while.
    • Proposed as answer by Velusquo Sunday, January 22, 2012 8:14 PM
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 7:58 PM
  • That's problematic, as support is there in OS X/iOS and in Linux. It could get very confusing if DNS server acquisition isn't consistent across desktop platforms as IPv6 starts to get rolled out to consumers this year.

RFC 6106 is vastly simpler to implement than DHCPv6 (IIRC the patch to NetworkManager amounted to a few dozen lines of code) so it would be reasonable to add it to Windows so as to make both available across the board.

• Edited by Velusquo Sunday, January 22, 2012 8:45 PM typo
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 8:14 PM
  • Wow, I was surprised at Christoper's reply....I agree, can't believe they are that far behind - never ?!?!?!?!

The other major issue today, not alot of router/L3 switch vendors have added RFC 6106 support either, hopefully that will also change soon.

Hmm, I'll have to look at my Mac OS X (10/7/1) and see.

Thanx for that info Velusquo!

Jeff Carrell
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 8:23 PM