none
Outlook: Failed to update Headers RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Office 2010, and outlook for my email needs.

My internet provider is Spectrum, and they instructed me to use IMAP server. I followed their instructions and it has been working for the last couple of years, but it stopped working for incoming mails (outgoing seems to be working). 

When I opens Outlook 2010, and the following message appears; 

failed update headers/IMAP command failed/Protocol:IMAP/server: mail.charter.net/Port:993

What would be the solution here? I asked Spectrum for this issue, and they insist that this is not their issue, but Microsoft. however, the test message from Microsoft does show up when I access Spectrum Web Mail, but it does not show on Outlook 2010 Inbox. 

Wednesday, June 26, 2019 2:05 PM

All replies

• Hi Henry,

Please try removing and then re-adding IMAP account to test the results.

Note: some folders with “this computer only” in the name are saved locally. Directly removing account may cause data loss. Please backup your mailbox first.

If this doesn’t help, your profile may be corrupted. Please test this issue in a new profile to see if it works.

To do this, go to Control Panel > Mail > Show Profiles. Click Add and then follow the instruction to set up your IMAP account.

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, June 27, 2019 2:19 AM
  • Thanks Perry I will try your recommendations and let you know what happened.

Thursday, June 27, 2019 2:28 AM
  • Dear Perry

I followed your advice by deleting current profiles and created new one, but it was no avail. The message "failed update headers" shows up, every time I open Outlook 2010, despite I used backup files or not (backup file has my calendar and address information). 

I even uninstalled Microsoft Office 2010, and reinstalled, plus I used restore function of Windows 10, and in the process, I did received a couple of mails in "Inbox" folder despite the insisting message "failed update headers".

Then I tested by sending an email to my email address via Outlook 2010, it stopped receiving new mails at all.

I can see emails that I kept in specified folders  in Outlook 2010 by accessing Spectrum web email, and that is because most emails are basically not in saved locally.

I never had this issue before, and I am at total loss. If you have any other suggestion, please let me know.

Thanks

Thursday, June 27, 2019 2:17 PM
  • Dear Perry

I did the process again by deleting current "Profiles" and created a new one this morning.

Still "failed update headers" shows up every time I open Outlook 2010, then highlighting "Inbox" folders shows the message too. But, then I clicked on "Send/Receive all folders" a couple of times (first try did not do anything), "Send/Receive Progress" screen shows up, and I did receive new mails. 

Then I closed Outlook 2010, and opened it, the message still showed up, but then after clicking "Send/Receive all folders" a few times, the "Send /Receive Progress" screen showed up again and in this way, I was able to receive new mails.

I don't know how to interpret this phenomenon. Strange issue indeed....

Thursday, June 27, 2019 2:46 PM
  • Hi Henry, 

I too, have Spectrum, and Outlook 2010, and it has worked for a decade, but SUDDENLY yesterday it began giving this "Failed to update IMAP headers" error, exactly as you describe.

I checked my settings and I was using imap.charter.net port 145 and I forget the other port. I checked spectrum website and they advise mobile.charter.net with port 993 incoming and 587 outgoing. 

The outlook test message works but the Failed Update IMAP headers error still happens every time I start outlook.

Doing a manual send/receive does indeed retrieve new emails. Wish outlook would reveal EXACTLY WHAT the error IS.

Josh

EDIT: I turned on logging and here is what appears to be the relevant failure section of the IMAP log:

IMAP: 11:14:47 [db] OnNotify: asOld = 5, asNew = 5, ae = 3
    IMAP: 11:14:47 [rx] xm5a OK LSUB completed
    IMAP: 11:14:47 [tx] g0pv FETCH 235 (UID)
    IMAP: 11:14:47 [rx] g0pv NO FETCH could not complete for one or more messages
    IMAP: 11:14:47 [tx] pfw4 NOOP
    IMAP: 11:14:47 [rx] pfw4 OK NOOP completed

• Edited by Win2KJosh Thursday, June 27, 2019 4:19 PM added troubleshooting log
    Thursday, June 27, 2019 4:10 PM
  • Hello Josh

I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who is having this issue, and I don't know this problem is due to Spectrum or Outlook 2010. If you found out how to resolve this issue, please let me know by posting yours on this forum.

Henry

Friday, June 28, 2019 3:42 AM
  • Hi Henry,

The error normally says Outlook can't properly connect to the account to update the message headers.

Please try setting Root folder path of your IMAP account to test the results.

1. Go to File-> section Info-> button Account Settings-> Account Settings…-> tab E-mail

2. Double click on your IMAP account to open the account settings.

3. Click on the More Settings… button.

4. Select the Advanced tab.

5. Under Folder Settings, type “Inbox” as Root folder path.

6. Restart Outlook to test the results.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, June 28, 2019 7:19 AM
  • Thanks again Perry for your help.

I followed your advice, but the same message "Failed to update headers" still shows up when I opened Outlook2010.

Plus by changing the root folder path to Inbox, subfolders I created became no longer visible, so I had to revert to the previous setting (blank on Root Folder Path).

Friday, June 28, 2019 2:37 PM
  • Henry & Perry,

I too have been having this exact same problem. Outlook 2010, spectrum, worked for years about last Tuesday same failed to update header problem (me with port 145 also).  I've tried the advice in this thread with no luck, and a couple other websites with same lack of success.

I remember this happening a while back and after a few days the problem magically disappeared.  I guess we will have to wait for either Microsoft, or Spectrum, to waive a magic wand again and fix things.

Andy

Sunday, June 30, 2019 3:40 PM
  • Hi Henry,

Does it only occur to your account from Spectrum? We can add another IMAP account to Outlook to test the results.

What’s the detailed version of Outlook 2010? You can refer to this article and install latest updates.

What changes have you made to Office and Windows before this issue occur?

Besides, we can also try opening Outlook in safe mode to see if the issue continues. Please exit Outlook, press Win key + R to open the Run command, type outlook.exe /safe and then press Enter. This helps eliminate whether the problem lies on any third party add-ins.

Regards,

Perry

Monday, July 1, 2019 5:18 AM
  • Thanks Perry for your help again.

For your inquiry, I did not make any changes in Office, and only updates were applied to Windows 10 64bits.

For your link, I tried to apply Office 2010 updates 32/64bits, but it said there is no products in my PC to affect this update, so it was not applied.

My Outlook 2010 version is 14.0.7232.5000 (32bits)

I tried the command "outlook.exe/safe" , but Windows says it can not find it. I tried this command 

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14/safe, but it did not work either.

At this point, all I could say is that I still get "failed to update headers" every time I open the program, and it will not receive any new mails in Inbox. However, each time I send test email using Outlook 2010 to my email address, then it starts receiving other new mails as well. Strange phenomenon it is.

Monday, July 1, 2019 2:39 PM
  • Hi Henry,

There is a space between Outlook and /. You can copy: outlook /safe

>>but it said there is no products in my PC to affect this update, so it was not applied.

We can try upgrading Office via Windows update. To do this, please click Start > Settings > Update&Security > Windows update section. Make sure following option is enabled. And then click "Check for updates". 

Regards,

Perry

Tuesday, July 2, 2019 3:08 AM
  • Hello Perry

Yes, outlook.exe /safe did bring the 2010 in safe mode now, but I still got the same message ("failed to..")

And all the update options have been "on" under "Settings" since I upgraded my Win 7 to Win 10, and my PC is up to date (version 1903).

Tuesday, July 2, 2019 4:20 AM
  • Have you tested with another IMAP account? We may check if this issue occurs only to Spectrum account.

Have you installed any antivirus software on this computer? As far as I know, antivirus software will integrate with outlook client. We can temporarily close all antivirus programs on this PC to check the results.

As this issue still occurs after reinstalling Office, we can also create a new Windows user account and see if issue continues.

Regards,

Perry

Thursday, July 4, 2019 6:03 AM
  • Thanks Perry again for your suggestion.

I would like to remind you that you would notice at least two other people were reporting the same issue as mine if you scroll up this thread (Josh & Andy), and to be honest with you, this is either caused by Outlook 2010 or Spectrum (all they told me that their web mail is working fine and they pointed me to Microsoft for the problem), or combination of both.

I already uninstalled Office 2010 and reinstalled it, and ended up with the same issue. And I don't think creating new Window user would help for resolving this issue either.

And it did not help solving this issue at all by disabling antivirus software either (I have been using Norton Antivirus software for more than 15 years, and I never encountered with this kind of problem).

Best regards,

Henry

• Edited by Henry0011 Saturday, July 6, 2019 4:17 AM
    Saturday, July 6, 2019 4:16 AM
  • Hi Henry,

I also have Spectrum and Outlook 2010.  My email has worked correctly for many years.  A few days ago, I also started receiving the  "Failed to update IMAP headers" error message.   My email settings are all as recommended by Spectrum.  When I send a test email, I receive the test email along with other emails that I have not been able to receive.  My Outlook 2016 email works correctly on another computer, and Webmail also works correctly.  I think I will not change anything on my end and just wait until either Spectrum or Microsoft decides to fix their problem.

Best Regards,

Rick

Saturday, July 6, 2019 11:58 AM
  • Hi Guys,

I also have this very same problem. I have done everything mentioned so far. In addition, here are some more clues.

1. I have 5 other computers with the same Outlook 2007, same Spectrum email accounts on each one. I also have 4 other Spectrum email addresses.

2. The problem only exists on 1 of the email addresses, and in the Inbox folder only, on that address.

3. It affected all 6 computers at the same time. The one folder for the one email address works flawlessly with webmail and all of my IOS devices. It only throws the header error when using Outlook.

So my take on this is, there is corruption on the Spectrum server for my Inbox for the one email account.

All my other Spectrum email accounts work flawlessly, with Outlook and any other email client.

Hope someone can use this information to help us get this fixed.

Thanks to All,

Benny

Saturday, July 6, 2019 12:52 PM
  • I also am a Spectrum and Outlook 2010 user having the same problem.  Just like others when I contacted Spectrum they referred me to Microsoft. It seems something has changed just recently causing the problem.  Steve
    Saturday, July 6, 2019 8:43 PM
  • I am a Spectrum (Charter.net) and Outlook 2010 user also having the same problem (IMAP failed to update headers).  I also cannot get my charter.net email to work with my iphone Outlook app and I have been using Outlook and Charter.net for years on both my PC and my iphone.  Just decided to quit working about a week ago.  My other email domains work fine with Outlook (like gmail.com).  Nothing offered here has fixed any of this problem yet.
    Sunday, July 7, 2019 7:57 PM
  • I have Win 10 and Office 2010.  I am having the same issue, my headers will not update in my Outlook 2010.  I have also done everything suggested in the above replies, nothing has worked. 

Along with not being about to update headers in my email (Spectrum is my provider) I cannot delete any emails. When I try, they don't delete.  I guess that is all tied with not being able to update headers.  This is so ridiculous.

This problem started yesterday, for me, but I've had this exact same issue a year or so ago. Also, in searches for solutions, I see many others have had 2016-7 and are having 2018-9 this same issue.

The only thing that hasn't been noted, is these Windows Updates, "1903........ Regarding that, I have tried to download (which it does), but after installing the thing (which take several minutes), it says the operation (update) failed.  Then it says, I only have such and such time left to apply this update. Oh brother.

I don't know if the recent window updates are causing the Outlook problem?!?!?!

?  Is Microsoft doing what Apple and Samsung Galaxy are doing, making older phones (not even 2 years old) slow down, battery drain?  Essentially, is Microsoft creating glitches or not fixing glitches with their product, if the product is older?  I am not saying that they are, but wondering.

Monday, July 8, 2019 1:08 AM
  • Hi All,

Thanks for all your information here. I searched release note of both Office 2010 and Win 10 but there is no official announcement about this issue. I also helped check in an internal way but haven’t seen related news so far.

I need to confirm:

1. Does this issue only occur to this IMAP account (Spectrum)? We can add another IMAP account to Outlook 2010 to see if same error occurs;

2. Whether the same issue happens when end user configures the same account with other Outlook clients or mail application;

3. What does the IMAP logging say in server side;

Meanwhile, the webmail works doesn’t mean the IMAP access will be working as well, as they use different protocols. If the issue just happens with a specific email provider, the troubleshooting is supposed be focused more on the server side than client side only.

Any update, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Monday, July 8, 2019 2:54 AM
  • Perry - I have 5 gmail accounts set up on Outlook on my PC and I am having no issues with them at all.  Just the Charter.net email (Spectrum).  I also cannot connect to my Charter email with the mobile version of Outlook on my iphone anymore (issue happened at the same time about 3-5 days ago).  I can get to Charter.net email through the resident email application on the iphone, but not on Outlook.  I can also get to my charter.net email through the Spectrum login, but it appears to me this is an IMAP interaction failure.  Whether it is on Microsoft's side or Spectrum's side, I have no idea. I have tried reloading the account settings, even using the mobile.charter.net account setting on my PC.  Nothing is fixing this issue.  So frustrating and such a complete waste of time.
    Monday, July 8, 2019 3:40 AM
  • Perry,

This is my original post from June 27, 2019.

Hi Henry, 

I too, have Spectrum, and Outlook 2010, and it has worked for a decade, but SUDDENLY yesterday it began giving this "Failed to update IMAP headers" error, exactly as you describe.

I checked my settings and I was using imap.charter.net port 145 and I forget the other port. I checked spectrum website and they advise mobile.charter.net with port 993 incoming and 587 outgoing. 

The outlook test message works but the Failed Update IMAP headers error still happens every time I start outlook.

Doing a manual send/receive does indeed retrieve new emails. Wish outlook would reveal EXACTLY WHAT the error IS.

Josh

EDIT: I turned on logging and here is what appears to be the relevant failure section of the IMAP log:

IMAP: 11:14:47 [rx] xm5a OK LSUB completed
    IMAP: 11:14:47 [tx] g0pv FETCH 235 (UID)
    IMAP: 11:14:47 [rx] g0pv NO FETCH could not complete for one or more messages
    IMAP: 11:14:47 [tx] pfw4 NOOP
    IMAP: 11:14:47 [rx] pfw4 OK NOOP completed

Wednesday, July 10, 2019 6:23 PM
  • Hello All

I am getting more confused if this was caused by Spectrum or Microsoft. Is there anyone who has other version of Office (not 2010) and try it with Spectrum? 

On the other hand, I can not try another IMAP account as Perry suggests, since Spectrum is my sole provider for Internet connection and email.

Anyway, the only way to use Outlook 2010 with Spectrum IMAP account is to open the software and send a test email to your email address, only then, I am able to receive new mails (of course you get this annoying "failed to update.." message every time you open the software or highlight the inbox)

Thanks

Henry

• Edited by Henry0011 Thursday, July 11, 2019 4:41 AM
    Thursday, July 11, 2019 4:36 AM
  • Same problem with Outlook 2007. Have 4 other Spectrum (Charter) email accounts that work fine. Only 1 email address, and only the Inbox folder of that address has this issue. That is until last night. Then another Spectrum email address had this issue in one of my user added folders. Easy fix for that, I went to Spectrum webmail, made another temp folder, copied everything from troublesome folder into temp folder, deleted troublesome folder, renamed temp folder to name of old troublesome folder. Problem solved... However, my Inbox on the original troublesome account still has the issue, as Spectrum won't let you rename or delete the Inbox.

So frustrating !!!

Thursday, July 11, 2019 1:05 PM
  • Same problem with Outlook 2007. Have 4 other Spectrum (Charter) email accounts that work fine. Only 1 email address, and only the Inbox folder of that address has this issue. That is until last night. Then another Spectrum email address had this issue in one of my user added folders. Easy fix for that, I went to Spectrum webmail, made another temp folder, copied everything from troublesome folder into temp folder, deleted troublesome folder, renamed temp folder to name of old troublesome folder. Problem solved... However, my Inbox on the original troublesome account still has the issue, as Spectrum won't let you rename or delete the Inbox.

So frustrating !!!

OK then, it may not be Microsoft issue.

I noticed that ghost mails shows up in Inbox both in Spectrum web mail and cell phone. It shows 2 mails indicated in Inbox, but there is none.

I complained and proved that to Spectrum, and I was told that they are trying to integrate and migrate to one server including ex-Time Warner accounts, and they are still working on it. That may be the cause of issues we are having right now. But I am not 100% sure. If you guys all complain it to Spectrum, they may be more helpful instead of pointing fingers to Microsoft.

Henry

Thursday, July 11, 2019 3:13 PM
  • Hi Henry,  I spent days trying to sign up a Spectrum account but somehow always failed here. Thank you for sharing the information here. This could be helpful to other users.

Friday, July 12, 2019 4:10 AM
  • Hi Henry,  I spent days trying to sign up a Spectrum account but somehow always failed here. Thank you for sharing the information here. This could be helpful to other users.

Thanks Perry for your help up to now.

I really think this is caused by Spectrum. Their tech support is not really a tech support to say the least. This is the worst company I ever encountered in my life. ATT and Verizon were more helpful in technical issues. They are not trained to help any issues at all. I tried to escalate the issue to upper level, but totally in vain. 

This is going to be a long battle with the company, and I will let you know what happened later on.

However, if someone found any way to solve this issue, please post them here. 

Best regards, 

Henry

Friday, July 12, 2019 5:00 AM
  • That's would be very nice if you can share the update here. Currently, I haven't searched other news from Spectrum forum. If I've found anything, I will also share it here.

Friday, July 12, 2019 7:05 AM
  • Thanks Perry, I really appreciate it. 

Best regards

Henry

Friday, July 12, 2019 2:58 PM
  • I logged into our Charter Outlook account on the PC today and emails are now being received.  Not sure who did what, but at least it is working now.
    Thursday, July 18, 2019 5:01 PM
  • I logged into our Charter Outlook account on the PC today and emails are now being received.  Not sure who did what, but at least it is working now.

Hello Josh

Really? Are you using Win 10/Outlook 10 as well? Could you let me know your email setting on your Outlook?

Thanks

Henry

Monday, July 22, 2019 2:13 PM
  • same exact problem since about 6-10-19.  One Charter/Spectrum CSR said it wasn't their issue and to contact Microsoft.   I spoke to another Charter CSR yesterday and she said it is a "post mail" issue within Charter that they are working on.  I don't know what that means, but every few times I've had this issue, it has been Charter.
    Monday, July 22, 2019 10:24 PM
  • Henry, same here.  Have Win10, Office 2010, I've done everything everyone else has suggested above - same problem. I also have Norton, but I've disabled my Norton- firewall, virus and tried to fix this issue - nothing works.

Yes, I've had this problem before and no one will own up to it. Except the lady I spoke with at Spectrum/Charter yesterday (7/21/19) said the issue was with Charter, but she didn't have a fix and didn't know when one would come through. 

I often think I should get another program for email, other than Outlook.  I've come across blogs with people that have the latest Office 365 and have the same issue and with their full service for paying the monthly fee for Office 365, they still have the issue.

Monday, July 22, 2019 10:34 PM
  • I've wondered the same thing.  That is, is Microsoft allowing or creating glitches so that customers will think that they need to buy the newest and WORST version of Office - Office 365.

This is truly ridiculous.  However, buying updated product will not fix this issue.

Monday, July 22, 2019 10:39 PM
  • Henry, checking around on different blogs which are discussing this issue, other versions of Outlook are having the saem problem.  Outlook 2016 and Office 365.
    Monday, July 22, 2019 10:41 PM
  • Henry, checking around on different blogs which are discussing this issue, other versions of Outlook are having the saem problem.  Outlook 2016 and Office 365.

Thanks Surfmusic for the update. It seems that Josh was the only one with the problem solved.

I have been able to receiving new emails in Inbox as long as I sent myself a test message since this problem started, however, since this morning, this trick ceased working for me. 

Now I need to go to their web mail and sorts the ones I want to keep into subfolders. This became the only way to see new mails for me.

• Proposed as answer by rhanauer Wednesday, July 24, 2019 5:11 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by rhanauer Wednesday, July 24, 2019 5:12 PM
    Tuesday, July 23, 2019 3:11 AM
  • I spent way too many hours surfing the web for solutions, none of which worked, after this problem started suddenly a couple weeks ago.  I was using Outlook 2010 with Mailwasher Pro & my main email is on Spectrum (charter.net) with additional gmail & icloud accounts.  I still wonder what caused the problem (perhaps Outlook 2010 is no longer supported by MS as some have suggested).  I researched alternate email clients & settled on Thunderbird by Mozilla (free to download from their website).  It took awhile to learn the UI & set it up the way I like it, but so far I love it -- & no more GD error messages!

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 5:25 PM
  • Perry, Henry, et. al.,

I also have Spectrum/Win10/Office 2010, and I'm still having the same "failed to" error message after trying everything above.  I have 4 Charter accounts, but only 1 has the IMAP error.  Spectrum even disavowed being the error source.

Let me know if anyone gets to the bottom of this.

Thursday, July 25, 2019 1:03 AM
  • I spent way too many hours surfing the web for solutions, none of which worked, after this problem started suddenly a couple weeks ago.  I was using Outlook 2010 with Mailwasher Pro & my main email is on Spectrum (charter.net) with additional gmail & icloud accounts.  I still wonder what caused the problem (perhaps Outlook 2010 is no longer supported by MS as some have suggested).  I researched alternate email clients & settled on Thunderbird by Mozilla (free to download from their website).  It took awhile to learn the UI & set it up the way I like it, but so far I love it -- & no more GD error messages!

Thanks Rhanauer for your report. I took a look at Thunderbird. I have not yet tried it. But here is my question. It seems to say that we have to use POP3 server instead of IMAP, is that the case? 

Henry

Thursday, July 25, 2019 2:09 AM
  • Perry, Henry, et. al.,

I also have Spectrum/Win10/Office 2010, and I'm still having the same "failed to" error message after trying everything above.  I have 4 Charter accounts, but only 1 has the IMAP error.  Spectrum even disavowed being the error source.

Let me know if anyone gets to the bottom of this.

That is what we intend to do. Please let us know should you find any solution as well.

Henry

Thursday, July 25, 2019 2:11 AM
  • Hi, Henry,

Thunderbird set up all my accounts as IMAP by default.  Its automatic server setup was fast & seamless, & so far synchronization has been fine.  It includes a calendar feature (& after some research I figured out how to sync it with the iCloud calendar I use on my Apple devices).  I've been a loyal Office/Outlook user for years, & still use Word etc, but I didn't want to pay for an updated version & possibly run into the folder sync issue again.  In any case, whatever is causing the Outlook issue (Spectrum or MS?), it's clearly frustrating to many!  Best,

Rick

Thursday, July 25, 2019 10:48 AM
  • Hi, Henry,

Thunderbird set up all my accounts as IMAP by default.  Its automatic server setup was fast & seamless, & so far synchronization has been fine.  It includes a calendar feature (& after some research I figured out how to sync it with the iCloud calendar I use on my Apple devices).  I've been a loyal Office/Outlook user for years, & still use Word etc, but I didn't want to pay for an updated version & possibly run into the folder sync issue again.  In any case, whatever is causing the Outlook issue (Spectrum or MS?), it's clearly frustrating to many!  Best,

Rick

Hello Rick 

Thank you very much for letting me know about the detail

Thursday, July 25, 2019 1:36 PM
  • Dear Everyone (who still have the same issue)

This morning, magically the problem (failed to update headers) disappeared, and now it is working fine (so far), and I did absolutely nothing. 

The lesson we learnt here is that this issue happens every time Spectrum is in process of moving its Email servers. Currently, they are trying to merger Time Warner accounts. It does not matter what version of Office you are using, and all of us (or some of us) get affected by this.

Their customer service is not trained to deal with the third company software, and therefore, they blame it to Microsoft. Only a few knows why it is happening, but none of them are not technically sufficient.

Please make sure to use the latest setting that Spectrum recommends for Outlook (here; https://www.spectrum.net/support/internet/adding-new-account-apple-mail/?redirected=true; you may have to type your zip code). If it still shows the same issue, you have to wait until Spectrum moves your account to a new server, or continue to complain that to Spectrum, describing what I mentioned here.

Good Luck.

Henry

Thursday, July 25, 2019 1:49 PM
  • Thanks Henry for giving me hope.  Only one of my Charter accounts is having this "failed to load header" problems.  I have been using Blue Mail on my Android phones and I did download their app for PC.  It worked just fine so I guess I will keep both on my laptop and desktop.

Yours,
    Claudia

Thursday, July 25, 2019 4:38 PM
  • Hi Henry, thank you so much for sharing the details here!

Friday, July 26, 2019 12:40 AM
  • Found this thread today.  I've been having the same issue for at least the past 3-4 weeks.  I have a charter.net email address and am using Outlook 2010.

I have tried and failed to fix the problem with the all of the following steps:

1. Temporarily disabling antivirus program (Avast)

2. set up Administrator account, then run SCANPST.EXE on pst file in Username/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Outlook/ 

3. run SCANPST on pst file in Username/OneDrive/Documents/Outlook Files

4. delete my Outlook email account and recreate it

5. Phone Spectrum tech support.  I verified that my port settings are correct (incoming 993, outgoing 587).  Spectrum tech support said that it's a Microsoft problem because I can send and receive email on the spectrum.net website but not using Outlook.

6. Tried changing some of the settings under Send/Receive > Send/Receive Groups > Define Send/Receive Groups > Edit button.  

7. Signed on to the web version of Outlook looking for anything out of whack, but nothing found

Out of desperation, I installed Mozilla Thunderbird.  THUNDERBIRD IS WORKING PROPERLY, but I'd prefer to get back to using Outlook.

I thought about uninstalling and then reinstalling Outlook, but in Control Panel I don't find Outlook listed under Uninstall programs and I don't want to take the chance of uninstalling all of Office Pro 2010.

I'm running out of ideas and getting pretty frustrated....

Ed

Monday, July 29, 2019 12:06 AM
  • We moved to a new home (3 miles away) on 22 May, 2019. Before that date I went to the local Spectrum Office and told the Agent I wanted my account, its contents and settings transferred on my move date. On the move date I met a Spectrum tech at my new home. He verified my connections and I connected to the internet with my Win7 laptop.

Fast Forward a week:

I found that Spectrum had jumbled the settings of our 5 email accounts so that they were unusable. They said something got lost in transferring my Charter "Legacy" account over to Spectrum.

I found that we were double billed for both our old and new accounts. That one took some time as they kept insisting it was not their fault. After bouncing it repeatedly up the chain, the issue was resolved.

And then the dreaded IMAP header issue. Depending on the tech I spoke with I got different answers. One thing was common. All blamed Microsoft. I am convinced it is not Microsoft, but Spectrum trying to port three companies into one. Even different help documents at spectrum give different IMAP, SMTP, port & security settings. So after a month, I still must send a test post from Outlook 10 or go to the spectrum site to get mail.

I really, really really hate monopolies.

• Proposed as answer by Greg447 Thursday, August 1, 2019 1:50 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Greg447 Thursday, August 1, 2019 1:50 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Greg447 Thursday, August 1, 2019 1:50 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Greg447 Sunday, August 4, 2019 5:12 PM
    Monday, July 29, 2019 3:44 PM
  • I have been plagued with this problem using Windows 7, Outlook 2010 and Spectrum email.  i have tried every suggestion posted.  I have talked to MS and Spectrum, etc.  Today I discovered something that solved the problem.  In the lower left corner of the outlook page there was a tab that said filtered where it normally shows total emails and unread emails.  I don't know how it got set up. If you right click on it and surf through the settings you will likely find an imap filter set up.  I cleared that filter and the problem went away. No adverse consequences to the rest of Outlook.  I tried to get back to that filter set up area but can't find it.  Another way which may clear it is to go to view and clear view.  I stumbled on that while trying to find out how to get back to that filter screen.  

An extremely annoying and crippling problem solved by dumb luck.  I had ordered a Windows 10 computer because Windows 7 support is coming to an end but I could have waited. 

• Proposed as answer by Greg447 Thursday, August 1, 2019 2:05 AM
    Thursday, August 1, 2019 2:04 AM
  • I posted my frustration just a few days ago.

Like Henry 0011 (see his post July 25, 2019 1:49 PM), for some mysterious reason, Outlook suddenly started working again today.  I didn't try anything new today, and I have no idea why.  I simply clicked the icon for Outlook and grit my teeth waiting for the infamous "Failed to update headers" message, but it didn't appear.  I just hope that this continues....

Thursday, August 1, 2019 3:34 AM
  • I also have more than one imap account through Spectrum and all work fine but one i have deleted messages that will not go away ,now all of them only a few and some of those have a strikethrough and others seem to be unchanged either way they will not go away
    Thursday, August 8, 2019 12:38 AM
  • I have exact same problem. I have 3 other IMAP accounts all working correctly.  Charter.net IMAP also works correctly on my iPhone and iPad.

LDM

Friday, August 16, 2019 12:07 AM
  • Greg, 

THANK YOU.

I too have Windows 10, Outlook 2010, and charter.net email. I have been plagued by the same Headers Not Updating for about 2 months. I too, have called Spectrum tech support(less) several times, and got nowhere. They couldn't comprehend that I could get email without using a browser, even though I told them I was using Outlook.  They all also blamed Microsoft. Then mysteriously my email would start working for a week or two, then would fall back to the same old Header failed problem. I have been searching online and have tried all the other "fixes", none of which worked.

Today I spotted your fix and tried it. My problem seems to have gone away. Thank You for sharing!

Dave B

UPDATE: This morning it is back to the same problem.  Sending a test email will get new mail, but I cannot delete any mail. When I click delete, it changes to a strikethrough in the font of the Subject line in the preview pane, but the mail stays ... FRUSTRATING!

• Edited by DWBrink Tuesday, August 20, 2019 11:50 AM
    Monday, August 19, 2019 9:27 PM
  • I did discover the filter applied box, but clearing the imap box did not help.  Wish I knew how to get back to the

filter settings.

LDM

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 12:12 AM
  • I posted above (on August 1) that the "Failed to update headers" error had miraculously gone away.

Well, like DWBrink's post dated Aug 20, now it's back....  The error message returned about 2 days ago.

I have tried many things and am totally out of ideas.  I suppose I may just have to wait for the next spontaneous, miracle cure.

I suppose that I'm back to Mozilla Thunderbird for now.  Thunderbird continues to work properly.

------------------------------

EDIT August 23:  OK, now Outlook seems to be working properly again.  I don't understand this.
    Wednesday, August 21, 2019 8:19 PM