none
Microphone Issues in Windows Server 2019 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all!

I recently installed Windows Server 2019 on my main computer to toy around with, as I was provided a license through Microsoft Imagine. Most standard Windows programs and services run flawlessly, and the OS is much speedier than Professional was. However, I have run into an issue. After switching over, I was in the process of setting up all of my devices, and that included my webcam, which I had used as my microphone for quite some time. However, when trying to call people through both Skype and Discord, I noticed that Windows would detect the webcam (both as a camera AND a microphone), yet it wouldn't actually pick up any sound whatsoever. After installing Logitech's software for it, it would still detect, yet would say the device was unavailable. I had assumed that it was finally dead (I had picked it up at a yard sale a couple years ago for 2$, lol), so I went out of my way to buy a nicer-quality USB microphone. However, that would not work either; again detecting and installing correctly, yet not picking up sound. I tried it in my laptop (which runs Home edition), and it works just fine there.

I have tried;
    1) swapping USB ports (2.0, 3.0, 3.1)
    2) checking for updates, through Windows and on the microphone manufacturer's website (it's a FiFine K668, for those who are curious)
    3) enabling sound services (one of the first things I did after installing Server. Speakers work just fine)

If anyone knows of a solid issue surrounding this with a fix for it, or just has any general suggestions, I am all-ears. Thank you all!
    Thursday, January 3, 2019 7:05 PM

Answers

• I'd reach out the to hardware manufacturer to see if there is device support for Server 2019.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, January 3, 2019 7:15 PM
    Owner

All replies

• I'd reach out the to hardware manufacturer to see if there is device support for Server 2019.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, January 3, 2019 7:15 PM
    Owner
  • Turns out that they do in fact support Server! I had to install their specific driver, and mess with gain settings. I also had to allow microphone access to individual programs. Thanks for the suggestion! Everything works now.
    Thursday, January 3, 2019 7:59 PM
  • Great news, you're welcome.

Thursday, January 3, 2019 8:00 PM
    Owner
  • Can you give more details about how you got this to work. Having the same issue with my Logitech webcam. It worked fine on Server 2016 but not on 2019.

GaryPharr

Monday, January 7, 2019 5:08 PM
  • Having the same issue. Please advice.
    Monday, March 18, 2019 8:39 AM