none
windows 2019 s2d cluster failed to start event id 1809 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I have lab with insider windows 2019 cluster which I inplace upgraded to rtm version of 2019 server and cluster is shutdown after while and event id 1809 is listed 

This node has been joined to a cluster that has Storage Spaces Direct enabled, which is not validated on the current build. The node will be quarantined.
    Microsoft recommends deploying SDDC on WSSD [https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/cloud-platform/software-defined-datacenter] certified hardware offerings for production environments. The WSSD offerings will be pre-validated on Windows Server 2019 in the coming months. In the meantime, we are making the SDDC bits available early to Windows Server 2019 Insiders to allow for testing and evaluation in preparation for WSSD certified hardware becoming available.

Customers interested in upgrading existing WSSD environments to Windows Server 2019 should contact Microsoft for recommendations on how to proceed. Please call Microsoft support [https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4051701/global-customer-service-phone-numbers].

Its kind weird because my s2d cluster is running in VMs is there some registry switch to disable this stupid lock ???

• Edited by osozu Thursday, October 4, 2018 10:45 AM
    Thursday, October 4, 2018 9:26 AM

All replies

• I have find this, but why they blocking s2d in VMs for testing?

https://support.microsoft.com/bn-bd/help/4464776/software-defined-data-center-and-software-defined-networking 

Thursday, October 4, 2018 10:52 AM
  • My hunch is that they have not inserted a specific test for running within a virtual environment.  This tends to follow their overall strategy.  I am not aware of anything within Windows that does a specific check to see if the OS is running in a virtual environment.

In the interim, you could use the insider's edition of WS 2019 as it does not have restriction.

tim

Thursday, October 4, 2018 12:16 PM
  • Thanks Tim I will rebuild cluster from scratch and will see what happened 
    Friday, October 5, 2018 9:00 AM
  • Has anyone contacted Microsoft to get the workaround?  I'm guessing it's just a registry key and I understand why they don't publish it but surely people can make their own decisions around whether to bypass the recommendations...  I've just spent hours building an 8-node S2D stretched cluster on 2019 GA to test a number of redundancy scenarios for a production deployment.  We can't sign off on the project if we demo it on an Insider preview.

I've tried to contact them here in Australia but so far no-one at MS knows what I'm talking about.

If anyone does get this going please post the solution here!

Friday, October 5, 2018 9:13 AM
  • It is a simple no-cost call to support to get the registry key.

"I've just spent hours building an 8-node S2D stretched cluster on 2019 GA to test a number of redundancy scenarios for a production deployment.  We can't sign off on the project if we demo it on an Insider preview."

I'm surprised you would be able to sign off on it anyway, considering that the hardware on which you would be running it is unsupported hardware.  2019 WSSD certification won't be here until next year, most likely, because it will take about that long for the hardware vendors to get their solutions certified.

tim

Friday, October 5, 2018 11:41 AM
  • Hi but why they are blocking it on VMS its very stupid to certify VMS :)

We have also some future S2D projects on HPE Gen 10 hardware which is supported on ws 2019 according to HPE, and will also try to test, so workaround should be fine for us.

osozu

• Edited by osozu Friday, October 5, 2018 3:02 PM
    Friday, October 5, 2018 2:59 PM
  • "It is a simple no-cost call to support to get the registry key."

Except so far I'm yet to find anyone who knows what S2D is so I'm waiting on a call back.

"I'm surprised you would be able to sign off on it anyway"

We're simply seeking sign off of the solution itself over alternatives such as vSAN, Nutanix etc. so would like to test dedupe and storage replica updates in the GA version.  We are very tightly resourced with a rare opportunity to complete some project work right now, so being able to create the clusters and volumes on Server 2019 and then move workloads once the hardware is certified would benefit us a lot.

Saturday, October 6, 2018 3:16 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situation.

Please feel free to let me know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Sunday, October 7, 2018 4:10 AM
  • "but why they are blocking it on VMS "

Because they have not inserted a specific test to see if it is running on a VM.

tim

Sunday, October 7, 2018 11:53 AM
  • Same problem

Who knows how to modify the registry to enable S2D?

Sunday, October 7, 2018 2:12 PM
  • "Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situation.

Please feel free to let me know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Michael"

I think the situation has been confirmed by a few people but thanks for adding to the conversation.  In terms of assistance I think we would all simply like to know what the workaround is without having to jump through the hoops that are MS Support.

Monday, October 8, 2018 5:28 AM
  • Tried to expand 2 node cluster with 2019 inside preview with s2d to 3 node with an dell r730xd.

The new node has windows 2019 rtm

Same Issue

"This node has been joined to a cluster that has Storage Spaces Direct enabled, which is not validated on the current build. The node will be quarantined."

Why does microsft release windows2019 with s2d disabled??

Any fix? 

Tuesday, October 9, 2018 6:30 AM
  • " Why does microsft release windows2019 with s2d disabled??

Any fix? "

Because they technically released it early without any Server 2019 qualified hardware certifications - they're essentially protecting themselves from unnecessary support calls.  I suggest you try and contact Microsoft and explain the situation so you can get the fix and post it here.

I tried again but as usual their phone system was temperamental and I got tired of listing off server models and components to get the workaround.  I might try calling a different country's support number next.

Wednesday, October 10, 2018 11:36 AM
  • HI can someone from Microsoft post here guidance to disable wssd lock, because ms support doesn't here about that? We have some project on HPE hardware, I have speak with HP support that they are ready to release certified drivers for 2019 in mid November, so we want to test 2019 S2D on customer site.

Thank you

Thursday, October 11, 2018 7:44 AM
  • The blog below has good info & link to MS support numbers. You SHOULD be able to get what you need from them! 

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/filecab/2018/10/02/hci-the-countdown-clock-starts-now/

Thursday, October 11, 2018 4:13 PM
  • Would be nice if somebody can post the registry keys here...

Thursday, October 11, 2018 6:02 PM
  • I gave up and downgraded mine to inside preview. This is a testrig anyway..

Hope they fix a new build soon when I take this into production.

• Edited by jos32 Tuesday, October 16, 2018 11:31 AM
    Tuesday, October 16, 2018 11:30 AM
  • "being able to create the clusters and volumes on Server 2019 and then move workloads once the hardware is certified"

There is no guarantee that the hardware on which you are running things will be certified for WSSD.  You need to talk with your hardware vendor to learn what system they are working on certifying, but even they can't guarantee that the current hardware will pass certification.  They will try, but they may find they need to replace some particular component.

tim

Thursday, October 18, 2018 3:26 PM
  • Our official stance on Windows Server 2019 and SDDC is here.  It also has the reasoning for what you are seeing and how you can move forward.

Software Defined Data Center and Software Defined Networking in Windows Server 2019
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4464776/software-defined-data-center-and-software-defined-networking

Thanks, John Marlin Microsoft Program Manager

Thursday, October 18, 2018 6:32 PM
  • "There is no guarantee that the hardware on which you are running things will be certified for WSSD."

Hardware is already certified with SDDC AQs, I'm running Lenovo SR650s.  We purchased these knowing the certification was going public about now (15th Oct it seems).

The official stance is a bit contradictory - "As is true for Windows Server 2016, systems and components that are listed in the Windows Server 2019 catalog and that have the SDDC AQs are required."

However, for 2016, systems and components in the catalog are required and SDDC AQs are only recommended. - "Systems, components, devices, and drivers must be Windows Server 2016 Certified per the Windows Server Catalog. In addition, we recommend that servers, drives, host bus adapters, and network adapters have the Software-Defined Data Center (SDDC) Standard and/or Software-Defined Data Center (SDDC) Premium additional qualifications (AQs)."

So which will it be?  If the answer is both the catalog and the AQs being required I'd suggest removing the line "As is true for Windows Server 2016" because it is inaccurate and deceiving.

Bit off topic now, so back to the original question - can anyone provide the key yet?

• Edited by I3endar Friday, October 19, 2018 9:26 AM
    Friday, October 19, 2018 9:08 AM
  • Post removed
    Saturday, October 20, 2018 3:35 PM
  • Thanks!
    Saturday, October 20, 2018 4:18 PM
  • Finally!

Cheers, worked a treat.

Monday, October 22, 2018 11:58 AM
  • Thanks, it worked!
    Wednesday, October 24, 2018 5:38 AM
  • Great it works thank you Vaporizer :)
    Friday, October 26, 2018 8:12 AM
  • I have a lab that I have in-place upgraded from 2019 Preview to RTM to test S2D and am getting the same error.  Was there a solution to this so I can avoid reloading the cluster?  Thanks!
    Friday, November 23, 2018 7:05 PM
  • I was able to use process monitor to find the single registry key that needs to be added to the cluster service parameters to allow S2D to function.  

Unfortunately it looks like sharing the registry modification will end up in this post being removed, but if you are savvy enough or want to call Microsoft support, it is possible to install Windows Server 2019 GA and required roles, make the registry mod, and join an existing cluster.

One last note- This modification is not for production.  I wanted to get my lab environment running Server 2019 GA for testing purposes only.  If you are wanting to upgrade an existing S2D production cluster, wait for hardware certifications and Windows Server 2019 to allow S2D without registry modifications. 

Saturday, November 24, 2018 2:32 PM
  • hi 

Can we get this back please

You supposed to provide this as per your STORAGE Team 

see link below 

by Cosmos Darwin, Sr PM on the Core OS team at Microsoft.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/filecab/2018/10/02/hci-the-countdown-clock-starts-now/

When can I deploy Storage Spaces Direct in Windows Server 2019 into production?

Microsoft recommends deploying Storage Spaces Direct on hardware validated by the WSSD program. For Windows Server 2019, the first wave of WSSD offers will launch in February 2019, in about three months.

If you choose instead to build your own with components from the Windows Server 2019 catalog with the SDDC AQs, you may be able to assemble eligible parts sooner. In this case, you can absolutely deploy into production – you’ll just need to contact Microsoft Support for instructions to work around the advisory message.

other ways in this country UK

is legal mislead customers and charge them for it

Regards,

Alex 

Monday, December 3, 2018 3:48 PM
  • can someone please send me this damn reg key… 

no "free" support Hotline does know what i mean… i just Redirect mit to TechNet or the support page where i have to open an payed online support Case...

djfutureshock at Hotmail.com

Monday, December 17, 2018 1:58 PM
  • Get the name of the person who says they do not have the information.  Then ask for their supervisor.  Microsoft support is a very large organization.  You may have reached someone who missed a day of training when this was covered, or neglected to read the email with the information, or failed in their search for the information, or any one of many other reasons.  The support organization has been trained.  If you happen to reach a person who does not have the information, elevate.

tim

Tuesday, December 18, 2018 2:13 PM
  • Just tried contacting Microsoft. They refuse to give free support for this. You need to pay first.  When I asked to speak to a supervisor they hung up on me. Called back 3 times asking for supervisor and got hung up on all 3 times. Wow Microsoft support has gone down hill over the years. When you go to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4464776 it says "You will be eligible for a free non-decremented case from Microsoft Product Support."  Sounds like a scam to me.
    • Edited by School IT Wednesday, January 2, 2019 5:23 PM
    Wednesday, January 2, 2019 5:12 PM
  • There is a process to receiving the free support call.  The process is the same for any support call, except for the tail end.  In other words, they did not implement a special process to handle this call.

If you do not have a contract with Microsoft, they will most likely ask for some form of payment, such as a credit card.  After you have received the information, and the call has been closed, it will be closed as a no charge call.

This is similar to a call in which you report a bug.  You still have to open the call with a credit card, but when it is determined that the problem is a bug in the software, Microsoft closes that incident as a no charge call.

Sometimes understanding the process behind the scenes helps.

Not having heard the interaction between you and the call taker makes it hard to make a judgement call on why you were not transferred to a supervisor.  I've never heard of a case like yours happening before.  I can understand them not transferring you if the first thing you do is insist for a supervisor because you are then asking them to break their rules of engagement without any reason.

tim

Sunday, January 6, 2019 5:29 PM
  • I managed to find the registry key using procmon. But apparently posting it here got my post marked as inappropriate and removed...

I've also posted it to several reddit threads but I guess I'm not allowed to link to those either.

Saturday, January 19, 2019 6:56 PM
  • Should not be using the previously downloaded copies. Make sure you get the new copy just posted by Microsoft.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-2019

tim

Sunday, January 20, 2019 1:58 PM