none
Cannot change startup settings on Hyper-v Guest RRS feed

• Question

• hello,

I am trying to reconfigure a hyper-v guest to start automatically when the parent system starts.

When I try to appy this setting it fails and in the event log I get the following error in the event log:

Log Name:      Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-VMMS-Admin
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-VMMS
    Date:          10/6/2008 11:24:00 AM
    Event ID:      17030
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Warning
    Keywords:     
    User:          SYSTEM
    Computer:      HYPERSERVER.fabrikam.com
    Description:
    Virtual machine 'NORCALMAIL' is assigned to an authorization scope that is not defined in the policy store: 'bff14ff6-8678-4386-aa96-0ebd1f509581'. The virtual machine will be reassigned to the default authorization scope. (Virtual machine ID 71DC8A0B-BAB3-4D6B-A2CD-C94DC319A72C)

This machine was exported and reimported at one point to test that functionality and this is my result.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Omar
    • Edited by Omar Droubi Monday, October 6, 2008 6:28 PM
    Monday, October 6, 2008 6:27 PM

Answers

• Failover Clustering- No

SCVMM 2008 beta- not any more but it was part of the infrastructure last week but I removed it since I was having issues and I needed to get back to focus on more important tasks and will get back to vmm later.
    • Marked as answer by Omar Droubi Tuesday, October 14, 2008 6:08 PM
    Wednesday, October 8, 2008 5:55 PM
  •  Hi Chang,

that registry change did not fix the issue- My issue was that some settings within the Virtual Machine settings could not be updated.

I could change the name as it appears in the console and add/remove hardware- but I could not change the startup from automatic to none or any other startup or shutdown properties.

After reviewing a good and bad VM configuration XML file I found the key that caused it:

Within global settings--

<security>
          <scope type="string">bff14ff6-8678-4386-aa96-0ebd1f509581</scope>
        </security>

Once I dropped these three lines for security I can now managed the VM properly- Strange as I see this on all of my VMs created before I changed the parent partition domain membership- but I do not see this key on an exported/imported machines or any new VMs- just these and not quite sure what it is for.

Anyway-if I had followed Stephens suggestion it would of course have fixed this issue- but I was hesitant as many times when creating a new VM and attaching VHDs-even with static MAC- I get a new NIC in the guest and have to go through that reassignment of IP process.

So this one is solved for now.

Omar
    • Marked as answer by Omar Droubi Tuesday, October 14, 2008 6:09 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Omar Droubi Tuesday, October 14, 2008 6:09 PM
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 6:08 PM

All replies

• I think somewhere along the export then import procedure something has gone 'funky' with the VM configuration.

Try creating a new VM with the same settings as your current VM and attach the VHD's associated with it and start it up, once you confirm that it is operational shutdown the VM and set the 'Auto-Start' and see how that goes, if that works delete the old VM from Hyper-V and use the new VM config you setup.

Cheers, Stephen Edgar
    Tuesday, October 7, 2008 7:08 AM
  • Are you using Failover Clustering and/or SCVMM?

Brent @ Dell
    Wednesday, October 8, 2008 3:44 AM
  • Failover Clustering- No

SCVMM 2008 beta- not any more but it was part of the infrastructure last week but I removed it since I was having issues and I needed to get back to focus on more important tasks and will get back to vmm later.
    • Marked as answer by Omar Droubi Tuesday, October 14, 2008 6:08 PM
    Wednesday, October 8, 2008 5:55 PM
  • Omar,

Did you try re-creating the VM as I mentioned above and if so what happened?

Cheers, Stephen Edgar
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 5:09 AM
  • Not yet- THis machine in question is a lab machine so I have time to try and figure out what is going on and see if I can fix it.

At this time I am more concerned about know the issue and fix than just recreating to solve it.

I will be able to get more info this weekend.  Thanks Stephen.
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 3:58 PM
  • One of the quickest 'debug' scenarios I would run through is what I am stating above in not touching the actually VHD files  except to make a backup.

Create a 'New Clean VM Config file only with the same settings as your current settings, make a copy of the VHD files and attach those to your new config file. If the VM starts up with no problems you know it is not the operating system contained within your VHD files and is a simple XML file corruption issue in the VM Config file.

This is a very fast diag test that is non-destructive to your data as you are only testing a new VM XML Config file with a copy of your original VHD files. That is why I asked if you had done that as this task could typically be done and confirmed or denied in under half an hour.

Cheers, Stephen Edgar
    Friday, October 10, 2008 10:36 AM
  •  

Hi Omar,

Additionally, based on your description and according to the error message, this seems related to the changed registry key (path to Hyper-V authorization store) after installing beta version of SCVMM. Please take a look at the following thread to see if it applies to your situation:

http://forums.technet.microsoft.com/en-US/winserverhyperv/thread/2574529c-0507-47ac-a850-b19cb0c9cd7c/

I just quote the steps to reconfigure the registry key here for your reference:

1. Open Registry Editor with “regedit”

2. Find and locate the registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Micorsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Virtualization

Key name: StoreLocation

3. change the value of StoreLocation to "msxml://C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Hyper-V\InitialStore.xml" (without quotation mark)

4. restart the parent partition.

5. please check if the issue re-occur.

Hope this can be of help.

Best regards,

Chang Yin

Friday, October 10, 2008 12:57 PM
  •  Hi Chang,

that registry change did not fix the issue- My issue was that some settings within the Virtual Machine settings could not be updated.

I could change the name as it appears in the console and add/remove hardware- but I could not change the startup from automatic to none or any other startup or shutdown properties.

After reviewing a good and bad VM configuration XML file I found the key that caused it:

Within global settings--

<security>
          <scope type="string">bff14ff6-8678-4386-aa96-0ebd1f509581</scope>
        </security>

Once I dropped these three lines for security I can now managed the VM properly- Strange as I see this on all of my VMs created before I changed the parent partition domain membership- but I do not see this key on an exported/imported machines or any new VMs- just these and not quite sure what it is for.

Anyway-if I had followed Stephens suggestion it would of course have fixed this issue- but I was hesitant as many times when creating a new VM and attaching VHDs-even with static MAC- I get a new NIC in the guest and have to go through that reassignment of IP process.

So this one is solved for now.

Omar
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 6:08 PM