none
Cannot Display This Video Mode Optimum resolution 1280X1024 60Hz

Question

• Hi all,

I have a Work Desktop (2003 Server SP2) and a Laptop(Win XP SP3); My Desktop is connected with a Dell Monitor with Default as 1280X1024 60Hz. My Laptop’s default resolution is 1280X800 60 Hz.

When I do a Remote Desktop from my Laptop to My Desktop with –Admin (Console Session); I am able to get it and work. But when I try to Log back in from my Desktop (Not through RDP, directly suing the Keyboard/Mouse), It throws and error.

Cannot Display This Video Mode
    Optimum resolution 1280X1024 60Hz

I would have to restart my Desktop to get his resolved.
    Any help would greatly appreciated. 

Regards,
    Muralidhar

Friday, March 20, 2009 2:36 PM

Answers

• Today, I un-installed the Video driver from my server and restarted; this rolled back my previously installed driver. right now the Driver that is in use is VGApnp.sys located at Sys32\Drivers (default I did not install any).

My server is working fine with different resolutions. I am able to use the console session on my laptop with any resolution and when I log back into my server, it switches back to 1280X1024.  

Regards
    Muralidhar Ranganathan

• Marked as answer by r.muralidhar Wednesday, April 8, 2009 2:31 PM
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 2:31 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    When you TSed into the machine with /admin switch, the console session went through a mode switch from 1280X1024 to 1280X800. When you logged back on locally, the windows video subsystem is trying to reset the resolution to 1280X1024, but for some reason the local display driver is rejecting this setting and you are seeing this error.

This seems to be an issue with the local video card/display driver. You can try a few things:

1) First thing to check in such scenarios is if you are using the right display driver for the video card you have. Also,
    check if there are any updates available for this video driver.

2) Try setting the local resolution to something else and see if the mode switch when logging in locally works.

You should also try positing this question to the forums of your video card manufacturer.

Thanks!
    Monday, March 23, 2009 10:51 PM
  • Hi Munindra, I really appriciate your reply.; i already tried the driver that I culd find on Dell.

I am using a Dell Optiplex 740 and a Win 2K3 version. I am not able find a driver on the dell site.

Any suggestions to find a good driver match for my comp?

Tuesday, April 7, 2009 11:20 PM
  • Today, I un-installed the Video driver from my server and restarted; this rolled back my previously installed driver. right now the Driver that is in use is VGApnp.sys located at Sys32\Drivers (default I did not install any).

My server is working fine with different resolutions. I am able to use the console session on my laptop with any resolution and when I log back into my server, it switches back to 1280X1024.  

Regards
    Muralidhar Ranganathan

Wednesday, April 8, 2009 2:30 PM

Regards
    Muralidhar Ranganathan

• Marked as answer by r.muralidhar Wednesday, April 8, 2009 2:31 PM
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 2:31 PM