none
System Writer is not found in backup RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I know this has been posted a lot of times but i cannot find the solution to this problem.

I have restored a system state backup from dpm 2010 to a spare drive on the server in question, when i try and do a restore i get the error System Writer is not found in backup, if i list all writers on the server it shows me the system writer in the list and i've checked all the permissions on the "C:\Windows\winsxs\FileMaps " and the "C:\Windows\winsxs\Temp\PendingRenames" and they are all correct, has anybody got any more suggestions of what i can try.I am not getting any events in the Application log or backup log, the server in question is Server 2008 Standard x86.

Thanks

• Edited by Ted011111 Wednesday, November 2, 2011 10:51 AM
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 10:36 AM

Answers

• hi,

I have experience another case that similar to your issue. I have let customer try the steps above but still the same. Then I investigate the ttt trace.

The VSS System writer list is contained in these three files, if any of them are misisng or corrupted, the VSS System writer may not be listed in the output of "vssadmin list writers" or the system writer may return incomplete or corrupt file list to the backup application at the time of a snapshot.

C:\Windows\inf\setupapi.ev1

C:\Windows\inf\setupapi.ev2

C:\Windows\inf\setupapi.ev3

When a Vista complete system image backup is performed, the vss system writer file list is recorded in a file on the Volume containing the backup in the following location.

B:\WindowsImageBackup\Machine_name\Backup date_time\{Unique_Guid}_Writere8132975-6f93-4464-a53e-1050253ae220

The setupapi.ev# files are operating system instance dependent, so the only way to repair them would be to perform an in-place upgrade, restore from backup before they were corrupted, or re-install Vista from scratch. Thanks for your understanding.

So I would like to know if you have a backup before they were corrupted. If not, we may perform an in-place upgrade or re-install Vista from scratch.

For information about How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 & Windows Server 2008 R2, please see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099

Thanks.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by HuAaron Friday, November 11, 2011 9:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jeff RenModerator Thursday, November 17, 2011 8:54 AM
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 10:07 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As for DPM2010, our forum is not the best resource for you, you should go to DPM forum for best support.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/dpm

thanks for your understanding.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by мóηêèЯ Saturday, November 19, 2011 7:11 PM
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 4:31 AM
  • Thanks for getting back to me, I thought this would be the correct forum to post this in as it is WSB that is causing the error on the target server, DPM is working fine.

Thanks

Thursday, November 3, 2011 6:42 AM
  • hi,

you mentioned that I have restored a system state backup from dpm 2010 to a spare drive on the server in question.

could you tell me what is your exact meaning?

Did you have backed up your system state through use of DPM2010 to a spare drive? and then you want to restore it to this server by using of WSB?

Thursday, November 3, 2011 6:57 AM
  • Hi Jeff,

Yeah sorry i should of explained it a bit better, I have a DPM server let's call it DPM1 that takes system state backups of all our other servers, on one of our servers called FILE1 i need to restore the system state of which i have a backup on the DPM1, so first thing i did was to restore system state files to a network location which is on the FILE1 server, then i run wbadmin on FILE1 to start the restore process,This is when i get the error.

Hope this explains a bit better,

Thanks 

Thursday, November 3, 2011 7:26 AM
  • Hi,

according to your description, you stored the system state backup files on the DPM1, and then copy it from DPM1 to a network location.

Now, please create a folder on a DPM1 and copy the backup contents to it , then share the folder to test this issue again.

To perform the restore from a network location, please refer to the following blog article:

Windows Server Backup 2008 Restore from Network Location

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2009/02/04/windows-server-backup-2008-restore-from-network-location.aspx

Thursday, November 3, 2011 7:56 AM
  • OK, Thanks for the advice i will give it a try and report back.

Thank you

Thursday, November 3, 2011 8:11 AM
  • Hi,

I've just tried that and I'm getting exactly the same thing, have you got any more suggestions.

Thanks

Thursday, November 3, 2011 10:48 AM
  • hi,

whether you have renamed the backup contents?

Please keep the backup files in the original position, Do not move the backup contents to any location, then share the backup contents to test the issue again.

Friday, November 4, 2011 1:12 AM
  • Hi,

Started from the beginning restored files to the dpm server then shared it from there and am still getting exactly the same problem. any more suggestions.

Thanks

Friday, November 4, 2011 7:33 AM
  •  

a. Please apply the following hotfixes to eliminate any potential known issue for vss.

The hot fix for your issue has been packaged and placed on an HTTP site for you to download.

Package: Volsnap.sys

----------------------------------------------------------- 

KB Article Number (s) : 2460907  

Language: All (Global)  

Platform: i386  

Location: ( http://hotfixv4.microsoft.com/Windows%20Vista/sp3/Fix348601/6000/free/427870_intl_i386_zip.exe )

Package: vssapi.dll

KB Article Number (s) : 975928  

Location: ( http://hotfixv4.microsoft.com/Windows%20Vista/sp3/Fix291574/6000/free/399753_intl_i386_zip.exe )

Package:Vssvc.exe

KB Article Number (s) : 983425  

Location: ( http://hotfixv4.microsoft.com/Windows%20Vista/sp3/Fix298371/6000/free/413962_intl_i386_zip.exe )

NOTE: Be sure to include all text between '(' and  ')' when navigating to this hot fix location! You must restart the server to take effect.

b. Click Start, type cmd, right click on the cmd icon, and click Run As Administrator to open a command prompt window.

Run the following command at the command prompt

Takeown /f %windir%\winsxs\temp\PendingRenames /a

icacls %windir%\winsxs\temp\PendingRenames /grant "NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(RX)"

icacls %windir%\winsxs\temp\PendingRenames /grant "NT Service\trustedinstaller:(F)"

icacls %windir%\winsxs\temp\PendingRenames /grant BUILTIN\Users:(RX)

Takeown /f %windir%\winsxs\filemaps\* /a

icacls %windir%\winsxs\filemaps\*.* /grant "NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(RX)"

icacls %windir%\winsxs\filemaps\*.* /grant "NT Service\trustedinstaller:(F)"

icacls %windir%\winsxs\filemaps\*.* /grant BUILTIN\Users:(RX)

net stop cryptsvc

net start cryptsvc

For more information, please see:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2009272

c. Reboot the server.

Let me know the result. Thanks.

Friday, November 4, 2011 10:32 AM
  • Thanks for your reply,

I have applied all 3 hotfixes and all the commands and still getting the same problem.

Cheers

Friday, November 4, 2011 11:20 AM
  • 1. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

2. Locate and then click the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\EventSystem\{26c409cc-ae86-11d1-b616-00805fc79216}\EventClasses\{FAF53CC4-BD73-4E36-83F1-2B23F46E513E}-{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}-{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}

3. Locate the TypeLib registry value.

NOTE The registry type of TypeLib should be shown as REG_EXPAND_SZ. If that is not the case, you have to delete the key, and then you have to recreate the key. To do this, follow these two steps:

a. Select the TypeLib registry value, and then delete it.

b. Create a new Expandable String Value, and then name it TypeLib.

4. Double-click the TypeLib registry value. In the Value Data box, type %systemroot%\system32\EVENTCLS.DLL, and then click OK.

5. Close Regedit.

6. Click Start, type services.msc in the Start Search box, and hit Enter.

7. Right-click the following services one at a time and click Restart:

• COM+ Event System
    • Volume Shadow Copy

8. Close the Services snap-in.

9. Open an elevated command prompt, type vssadmin list writers, and then hit ENTER. 

10. Verify that the writers are now listed.

Saturday, November 5, 2011 8:27 AM
  • Hi,

I have done that but still exactly the same problem, it does list the writer when i type vssadmin list writers it is when i go to restore the job that it says System Writer is not found in backup.

Cheers

Monday, November 7, 2011 7:48 AM
  • hi,

I have experience another case that similar to your issue. I have let customer try the steps above but still the same. Then I investigate the ttt trace.

The VSS System writer list is contained in these three files, if any of them are misisng or corrupted, the VSS System writer may not be listed in the output of "vssadmin list writers" or the system writer may return incomplete or corrupt file list to the backup application at the time of a snapshot.

C:\Windows\inf\setupapi.ev1

C:\Windows\inf\setupapi.ev2

C:\Windows\inf\setupapi.ev3

When a Vista complete system image backup is performed, the vss system writer file list is recorded in a file on the Volume containing the backup in the following location.

B:\WindowsImageBackup\Machine_name\Backup date_time\{Unique_Guid}_Writere8132975-6f93-4464-a53e-1050253ae220

The setupapi.ev# files are operating system instance dependent, so the only way to repair them would be to perform an in-place upgrade, restore from backup before they were corrupted, or re-install Vista from scratch. Thanks for your understanding.

So I would like to know if you have a backup before they were corrupted. If not, we may perform an in-place upgrade or re-install Vista from scratch.

For information about How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 & Windows Server 2008 R2, please see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099

Thanks.

• Proposed as answer by HuAaron Friday, November 11, 2011 9:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jeff RenModerator Thursday, November 17, 2011 8:54 AM
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 10:07 AM