none
Windows 2003 server system volume information

Question

• Hi

I have a windows 2003 server domain controler, the system drive is getting eaten up by system volume information folder which is 12.5 GB at the moment, how can I remove files inside this folder without causing any problems?

thanks

Monday, September 15, 2008 9:31 AM

Answers

• David

Thanks

It turned out to be Veritas that was causing the problem, which with your help is now resolved.

here is the URL with details http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/284154.htm

Once again thanks

Kind Regards

John

• Marked as answer by David Shen Thursday, June 04, 2009 8:54 AM
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 12:27 PM
  • Hi customer,

According to the research, if we enable Volume Shadow Copy on the problematic disk and set no limit on the shadow copies, the System Volume Information folder will keep growing unexpectedly. If you want to remove the files inside the folder, if possible you can disable the Volume Shadow Copies on the problematic disk. If you want keep the VSS, you may set the limit the volume shadow copy in size.

Steps:

My computer-> Go to disk properties -> Switch to Shadow Copies tab -> Select the disk which hold the big System volume information -> Click "Setting" -> Check the maximum size limit -> Specify the size

If you haven't enable Volume Shadow copy before, please also check if you have install third-party Backup solution Veritas BackupExec on the problematic server. Since this is a known issue theat Veritas BackupExec creates temporary files in the System Volume Information folder, which cause System Volume Information folder is growing and may take up the available disk space.

Hope it helps.

David Shen - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Volume Wednesday, September 17, 2008 12:27 PM
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 10:13 AM

All replies

• Hi customer,

According to the research, if we enable Volume Shadow Copy on the problematic disk and set no limit on the shadow copies, the System Volume Information folder will keep growing unexpectedly. If you want to remove the files inside the folder, if possible you can disable the Volume Shadow Copies on the problematic disk. If you want keep the VSS, you may set the limit the volume shadow copy in size.

Steps:

My computer-> Go to disk properties -> Switch to Shadow Copies tab -> Select the disk which hold the big System volume information -> Click "Setting" -> Check the maximum size limit -> Specify the size

If you haven't enable Volume Shadow copy before, please also check if you have install third-party Backup solution Veritas BackupExec on the problematic server. Since this is a known issue theat Veritas BackupExec creates temporary files in the System Volume Information folder, which cause System Volume Information folder is growing and may take up the available disk space.

Hope it helps.

David Shen - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Volume Wednesday, September 17, 2008 12:27 PM
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 10:13 AM
  • David

Thanks

It turned out to be Veritas that was causing the problem, which with your help is now resolved.

here is the URL with details http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/284154.htm

Once again thanks

Kind Regards

John

• Marked as answer by David Shen Thursday, June 04, 2009 8:54 AM
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 12:27 PM
  • Hi customer,

Steps:

Hope it helps.

David Shen - MSFT

Thanks for this information, even now three years after this reply - this information has helped me resolve a long ongoing issue!

Mozy Pro, a web based backup tool uses VSC and we had the exact same issue.  It shows that even old posts like this can be helpful many years down the line.

Thanks

B

Thursday, August 18, 2011 6:32 PM
  • guys you're awesome; i've been looking for an answer to the exceeding disk space on my drives under the folder System Volume Information and this fixed it. yes the volume shadow copy was set to unlimited. thanks you very much
    Friday, September 30, 2011 12:18 AM
  • Hi,

The best way to solve  system drive full" problem is:

shrink other partitions to generate unallocated space -> merge unallocated space to system drive.

I don't suggest delete files inside system drive, it can not solve low disk space problem fundamentally.

Since there is no resize function in Windows 2003 Disk Management snap-in, so you need to use Partition Magic Server 2003 softwre:

http://www.partition-magic.org/windows-server-2003/extend-system-partition-windows-server-2003.html

Saturday, October 01, 2011 8:16 AM