none
Windows Server technical preview 5 ethernet issue RRS feed

• Question

• On Windows Server Technical Preview 5, just installed yesterday, ethernet seems not to work. It shows a red sign, although it says it is connected, on Device Manager things seem fine. When I log out, the symbol shows that ethernet is connected, no red sign. Another machine, that run an Unix-like OS that shared the same rooter, connected through ethernet as well, stopped working as well, after reinstalling the OS it went fine. What is going on?
    Thursday, April 28, 2016 1:11 PM

All replies

• Hi Lotusisrael,

On Windows Server Technical Preview 5, just installed yesterday, ethernet seems not to work. It shows a red sign, although it says it is connected, on Device Manager things seem fine. When I log out, the symbol shows that ethernet is connected, no red sign. Another machine, that run an Unix-like OS that shared the same rooter, connected through ethernet as well, stopped working as well, after reinstalling the OS it went fine. What is going on?

Please ensure that you have installed the prerequisite updates:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3157663

Besides, as this server is a new OS and has not been released, some drivers might not stable.

You could try to use some third-party software to update the Ethernet driver and try again.

Or, waiting for the official released version.

Best regards,

Andy_Pan

Friday, April 29, 2016 8:53 AM
  • I have the latest driver. I have installed several times WS 2016 tp5. Enabling Hyper-V make things worse. Without Hyper-V, ethernet works partially, meaning several things depending on it do not work, like activation and installing .NET Framework 3.5. I can use Internet Explorer and Edge, 3rd party browsers seem to work in this combination. Maybe this preview was meant to be installed strictly on virtual machines, not as a primary OS on a system.
    Friday, April 29, 2016 7:44 PM
  • Running on physical is working just fine.  Have Hyper-V installed.

. : | : . : | : . tim

• Proposed as answer by Hello_2018 Thursday, May 5, 2016 8:55 AM
    Friday, April 29, 2016 10:26 PM