none
WSUS filling server & server cleanup not working RRS feed

• Question

• Our SBS Server has no space left and were told it was due to the WSUS.  I tried to run the server cleanup through the console but it disconnects no matter what combination I try. (I saw in some forums to try #2, #3, etc)

Need help before the server stops working completely. 

Service running on this WSUS Server: Active Directory

Physical size of the SUSDB.mdf file: 8,063,746,048 bytes

Hardware configuration:
    Intel Xeon 2.4, 8GB Ram, HD C: 59.9GB - E: 2.99 –D: 867GB  Expansion Drive G: 931GB, running Windows Server Standard FE 2007

Client systems: 5

Error below:

The WSUS administration console was unable to connect to the WSUS Server Database.

Verify that SQL server is running on the WSUS Server. If the problem persists, try restarting SQL.

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException -- The transaction log for database 'SUSDB' is full. To find out why space in the log cannot be reused, see the log_reuse_wait_desc column in sys.databases

Source

.Net SqlClient Data Provider

Stack Trace:

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.MarshaledInvoke(Control caller, Delegate method, Object[] args, Boolean synchronous)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.Invoke(Delegate method, Object[] args)

at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Wizards.ServerCleanup.ServerCleanupWizard.OnCleanupComplete(Object sender, PerformCleanupCompletedEventA
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 8:54 PM

Answers

• Our SBS Server has no space left

If you literally ran out of disk space, then it may be too late for recovery activities.

I tried to run the server cleanup through the console but it disconnects no matter what combination I try.

The SCW needs temporary space to support the database activities it performs. If disk space is low, that may impede that functionality. More specifically, if you ran out of space, then quite likely the database service is shutdown, will not restart, and without the database running, the SCW is worthless.

Physical size of the SUSDB.mdf file: 8,063,746,048 bytes

YIKES! (For a machine that has a maximum client load of 75 systems!). Actually, this is not totally unsurprising. It's the natural manifestation of what happens when you take a product that requires regular maintenance, and try to make it fully automated and "maintenance free" (which it cannot be). For the record, that database is about 6x the size it should be for 75 clients.

Verify that SQL server is running on the WSUS Server.

Well, this is the first step. Is the Windows Internal Database service running? If not, can it be restarted? If not, then you're likely S.O.L.

The transaction log for database 'SUSDB' is full.

This is an almost always fatal error on WSUS. If the transaction log is full, that means the disk IS OutOfSpace, and if that happened, there is an almost certain fact that the WSUS database was corrupted as a result of running out of space.

My thoughts: Your best bet here is to fully uninstall WSUS, reinstall the WSUS3SP1 from the SBS2008 media (with whatever procedures the SBS peeps have developed for reinstalling WSUS, and then upgrade to WSUS3SP2 (using the procedures developed for doing that).

Or, if you have a viable backup, you can restore the WSUS database (maybe).

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2012)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin

Thursday, February 16, 2012 7:06 AM