none
Hyper-v VM going to saved state RRS feed

• Question

• I have a server 2008 r2 system with Hyper-V running a windows server 2008 standard VM.  The VM was converted from a physical system.  The system has been running without issue until this week.  The VM is now dropping to "Save" state and then starting back up.  This is causing a great deal of frustration for my client.  I have added the Hyper-V folders to the antivirus exclusion list.
    Wednesday, April 15, 2015 7:27 PM

Answers

• Hi Sir,

>>The VM is now dropping to "Save" state and then starting back up.  

An online backup can be performed with no downtime on a running virtual machine when all of the following conditions are met:

· Integration services are installed and the backup integration service has not been disabled.

· All disks being used by the virtual machine are configured within the guest operating system as NTFS-formatted basic disks. Virtual machines that use dynamic disks or the FAT32 file system prevent an online backup from being performed.

· Volume Shadow Copy Service must be enabled on all volumes used by the virtual machine with a specific configuration. Each volume must itself as the storage location for its shadow copies and that mapping must be available to the Hyper-V VSS writer. In other words, the shadow copy storage of C: should be on C:, the shadow copy storage of D: should be on D:, so on an so forth.

If an online backup cannot be performed, then an offline backup is taken. This type of backup results in some degree of downtime. A variety of factors can affect the time required to take an offline backup. If the virtual machine is running or paused, it is put into a saved state as part of the offline backup process. After the backup is completed, the virtual machine is returned to its existing state.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/virtualization/archive/2008/08/29/backing-up-hyper-v-virtual-machines.aspx

Best Regards,

Elton Ji

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com .

Thursday, April 16, 2015 4:47 PM