none
Windows 2012 RDS Profile issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Guys,

I have setup RDS on windows 2012 servers, and every time I logon I got message that I Windows can't find my profile and log me in with the temporary profile.  I have the same error even when i logon as a local administrator.

My environment.

Vsphere 5.5

VM Guest Windows server 2012 R2

2 RD Session Host servers

2 RD Web Access Servers

2 RD connection Broker servers

Profile disk on file server \\fileserver1\RDSProfile.

I have try to solve this problem by deleting my profile on the registry, but it didn't help.

Thanks in advance.

Monday, April 6, 2015 8:46 PM

Answers

• I download the HF, and try to install it and got an error "The update is not applicable to your computer".

Thanks

If you login with the local admin, do you get a temp profile?

UPD seems to have some issues. We were having the exact same problem and we disabled UPD and removed 1 of our session hosts. Still had this issue. So we removed the session host and used the 2nd session host and now things are working as expected with UPD. We haven't arrived at a "fix" for the first session host but think we will uninstall the role, reboot the server and make sure the local admin can login without getting temp profile then add the role back and see if anything changes. But for you, I would disable UPD and see if that fixes it. If not, remove the session host and leave the other session host and see if that works. You can also set the local GP to logoff after user disconnects so this will give you less of a chance that something happens power wise to the server when users are disconnected but still logged in.

• Marked as answer by Brichardi Wednesday, April 8, 2015 8:51 PM
    Wednesday, April 8, 2015 3:37 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Does this happens after restart of server? 
    If yes, then there are specified scenario and Hotfix for this case. You can try to install the related Hotfix and check the result.
    FIX: You are logged on with a temporary profile to a remote desktop session after an unexpected restart of Windows Server 2012
    http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2896328

Hope it helps!

Thanks.

Dharmesh Solanki

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 6:27 AM
  • I download the HF, and try to install it and got an error "The update is not applicable to your computer".

Thanks

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 2:02 PM

Thanks

If you login with the local admin, do you get a temp profile?

UPD seems to have some issues. We were having the exact same problem and we disabled UPD and removed 1 of our session hosts. Still had this issue. So we removed the session host and used the 2nd session host and now things are working as expected with UPD. We haven't arrived at a "fix" for the first session host but think we will uninstall the role, reboot the server and make sure the local admin can login without getting temp profile then add the role back and see if anything changes. But for you, I would disable UPD and see if that fixes it. If not, remove the session host and leave the other session host and see if that works. You can also set the local GP to logoff after user disconnects so this will give you less of a chance that something happens power wise to the server when users are disconnected but still logged in.

• Marked as answer by Brichardi Wednesday, April 8, 2015 8:51 PM
    Wednesday, April 8, 2015 3:37 PM
  • Hi Forgiven,

Thank you for your help.  I was able to resolve the issue base on your suggestion, and now my RDS servers are function normal again.

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 8:51 PM
  • Hi Forgiven,

Thank you for your help.  I was able to resolve the issue base on your suggestion, and now my RDS servers are function normal again.

Glad I could be of assistance. I would be interested to know what you did to get both of your session hosts working as we seem to have a similar setup and similar issue.
    Thursday, April 9, 2015 2:15 AM
  • This is what I did to resolve the temp profile issue on RDS servers.  

I remove the 2nd Session Host server as you suggested, and remove my temp profile on windows and in registry.

Reboot the server and logon as local administrator to make sure the profile get create properly on RDS servers (I also tested my account to make sure it works).  I create RDS service account to work on RDS server instead of using my DA account to setup and configure RDS servers.

Note:  If you already have collection created, you may need to delete the collection because windows won't let you remove and uninstall Session Host server while it attach to a collection.

Logon with RDS service account and add back the 2nd session host server and recreate the collection.  

Thursday, April 9, 2015 2:26 PM