none
the user profile service service failed the logon user profile cannot be loaded RRS feed

• Question

• When trying to logon to a Terminal Server, my user is receiving the following:
    "The User Profile Service failed the logon, User Profile cannot be loaded"

This is the first time the domain user has logged on to this box, we've tried many times after this with no success. 20+ other users are not experiencing this issue.  Is it possible the AD account is screwed or anyone have other suggestions before I re-create his account?

I've examined the following article about removing the SID for the profile, it is very similar but it does not apply in this instance.  This user cannot logon to the machine, the SID registry entry for this user does not exists, neither does a proflie for the user under C:\users.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215

Any thoughts out there?

Thanks

Charlie Hawkins

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 7:51 PM

Answers

• Charlie -

Are you enforing the policy "Do not log users on with temporary profiles"? If so, you may want to disable that policy to see if the user can connect.

If you are using roaming profiles, verify that the profile path is correct, the profile folder is named correctly (don't forget the .v2 extension if you're connecting to a 2008/2008 R2 RDS host), and the check the permissions on the roaming profile folder. If not, check to make sure that the user doesn't have a roaming profile configured in AD.

Did you verify that the user has permissions to the profile folder on the TS/RDS host? It's a longshot, but it doesn't hurt to check.

Good luck!

Carl

Friday, May 4, 2012 1:14 AM

All replies

• Charlie -

Are you enforing the policy "Do not log users on with temporary profiles"? If so, you may want to disable that policy to see if the user can connect.

If you are using roaming profiles, verify that the profile path is correct, the profile folder is named correctly (don't forget the .v2 extension if you're connecting to a 2008/2008 R2 RDS host), and the check the permissions on the roaming profile folder. If not, check to make sure that the user doesn't have a roaming profile configured in AD.

Did you verify that the user has permissions to the profile folder on the TS/RDS host? It's a longshot, but it doesn't hurt to check.

Good luck!

Carl

Friday, May 4, 2012 1:14 AM
  • During a recent domain migration, the user's profile was not correct in AD.  Removed the roaming profile from the migrated AD account and all is good.

Thanks !

Charlie Hawkins

Friday, May 4, 2012 3:54 AM
  • You're welcome. Glad I was able to help.

Carl

Friday, May 4, 2012 5:07 AM