Why won't notepad run if copy to another location RRS feed

• Question

•  

Nice simple one ...

If I copy system32\notepad.exe to C:\ and double-click, nothing happens. Logged in as administrator, full control to C:\.

What restriction in 2008 x64 RC1 is causing this to occur ?

I do the same thing on 2003 x64 and notepad runs.

PS I'm testing our SOE and C:\Program Files (x86) is causing me problems because some of our apps have C:\Program Files hardcoded and was using notepad.exe to do some testing.

Thanks

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 10:53 PM

Answers

• Mark Russinovich ran into the same problem when he copied notepad.exe from the Windows directory to his profile directory. After some fiddling he found out the following:

"I knew that .mui files store language-dependent resources like strings and accelerators, so I was pretty certain that Notepad’s failure to load its accelerators was due to its inability to find the appropriate resource file for my local, US English (En-us). To verify this I made an En-us subdirectory in my profile directory and copied Notepad.exe.mui into it, reran Notepad from my directory, and it worked."

I guess your solution is to get notepad.exe.mui in a subfolder named like your locale.
    Friday, January 11, 2008 10:34 AM

All replies

• Hello Mick,

Could you have a look if there appears a msg in the windows event viewer regarding this ? Perhaps also someone else can recreate this scenario and give additional info.

[just some additional info:
    logged in as non-admin (will try later as admin also)

I did the same as you:
    copy it from C:\Windows\System32 to C:\ (admin pwd necessary for this task)
    but then with doubleclick it could be started
    (also when another notepad instance was running)

system info here:
    Microsoft® Windows® Server™ Release Candidate 1 - 2008 Datacenter, 64 bit
    6001.17119.amd64fre.longhorn.071210-1916 Service Pack 1, v.735

On request, there can be provided more info]

Sincerely,

Friday, January 4, 2008 3:50 PM
  • Mark Russinovich ran into the same problem when he copied notepad.exe from the Windows directory to his profile directory. After some fiddling he found out the following:

"I knew that .mui files store language-dependent resources like strings and accelerators, so I was pretty certain that Notepad’s failure to load its accelerators was due to its inability to find the appropriate resource file for my local, US English (En-us). To verify this I made an En-us subdirectory in my profile directory and copied Notepad.exe.mui into it, reran Notepad from my directory, and it worked."

I guess your solution is to get notepad.exe.mui in a subfolder named like your locale.
    Friday, January 11, 2008 10:34 AM