none
The Operation Failed with Error 32788 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have installed windows server 2012 R2 Stnd Edition & running VM (Windows Server 2012 R2) on Hyper-V.

machine is working fine but i want to attached "Fiber channel Adapter" because i want to attach my EMC SAN AX5 LUNs with VM.

When i add hardware with VM then i am getting error message when switch ON VM  "The Operation Failed with Error 32788 "

I tried a lot but could not get any possitive result. Kindly let me know how to get EMX SAN LUN on Virtual Machine as my VM already working and i want to attach SAN LUNs to VM. 

Regards,

Monday, September 5, 2016 5:19 AM

Answers

• Do the HBAs on your physical host support virtual HBAs?  Check with your hardware vendor.  Not all HBAs support this feature.

Are you sure you want to use virtual HBAs?  The feature works fine, but it adds a lot of management that is not required when using other methods to connect to storage.  Microsoft recommends connecting virtual hard disks to VMs instead of physical drives.  This gives you more flexibility in how you manage the environment because the VM is not restricted to a particular physical environment.  Virtual HBA makes use of two pairs of WWNs for each VM.  This means you have twice as many zones/masks you have to configure and manage and troubleshoot.  Whereas, if you use VHDs for the VMs, it doesn't make any difference where that VHD resides.  There is virtually no performance difference between virtual HBA performance and virtual hard disk performance.

Bottom line is, you should have a very good technical reason for requiring vHBA before going down that track.  There are a lot of ways to more efficiently manage your environment.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Monday, September 5, 2016 12:59 PM