none
Replacing 2008R2 DC with 2012R2 DC - Server has RDS License Server on it - Can I Migrate the RDS Licenses from 2008R2 to 2012R2 then change name? RRS feed

• Question

• We want to Migrate our Windows 2008R2 DC to a Windows 2012R2 DC. We want to keep the name of the DC the same.  

So typically I would demote the DC, rename the server. Change the name of the New DC to the name of the old DC, Promote the new DC with the new name.  

Will the RDS License Server Survive a Name Change? Either Before or After the DC Demotion/Promotion.

So if I have SVR-Existing Migrate the Licenses to SVR-NEW, then Change SVR-NEW to SVR-EXISTING what needs to be done? Or Should I Change SVR-NEW to SVR-EXISTING, then Migrate the Licenses form SVR-OLD to SVR-EXISTING (New)?

Thanks,

Scott<-

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 10:56 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes i am not a fan of in-place upgrades as well especcially when you have several roles on the server but somtimes it does the job.

I believe that scenario would work. Practically you install a new server you install the RDS License role activate itand use manage RDS CALs to migrate the licenses to this new server. Don't forget about the RDSH server to point it to new server until you get the old server refreshed.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc730776.aspx

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Calin

Friday, October 3, 2014 9:06 AM

All replies