none
Access problem to one subdirectory from remote branch office RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I have share folder on old MS Server 2003 R2. Topologi is two location sites with domain cotrolers. One subdirectory suddenly not accessible from remote office. Error table say: "\\(directory) is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the admin... The specifice network name is no longer available." On local site is not problem open this folder but from remote domain is it. All other folder are accesible. When I rename this folder is accesible when I change name folder back to origin not accessible.

Copy folder to other disk on same server not change behavior.

• Edited by mdvorak72 Thursday, August 31, 2017 8:43 AM
    Thursday, August 31, 2017 8:41 AM

Answers

• This is probably network problem because i create same folder "SAM" name on other server and not remote accessible to. Other variation name "SIM, SOM, SAMA" work. Both network are linked VPN.
    • Proposed as answer by Mary DongModerator Friday, September 1, 2017 9:13 AM
    • Marked as answer by mdvorak72 Sunday, December 3, 2017 5:57 PM
    Friday, September 1, 2017 7:57 AM
  • Hi mdvorak72,

>This is probably network problem because i create same folder "SAM" name on other server and not remote accessible to. Other variation name "SIM, SOM, SAMA" work. Both network are linked VPN

Could be. And now if change the new name, it works?

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by mdvorak72 Sunday, December 3, 2017 5:59 PM
    Friday, September 1, 2017 9:13 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Could you please disable firewall on both sides to do a check?

According to the error message, the network resource that you specified was either temporarily taken offline or is no longer available.

Please follow the article below to do a check.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc959823.aspx

And if could also be the network connectivity errors. Try updating network card drivers; make sure no any system-related software (like antivirus) lead to the problem. Please temporarily disable to do a check.

In addition, please check the thread discussed below for more details.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/8a07ceb6-3be9-4147-bb67-bb4c23e41869/specified-network-name-is-no-longer-available-only-for-some-subfolders-on-network-shares?forum=winserverfiles

Best Regards,

Mary

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 31, 2017 1:34 PM
  • Hello, thank you for answer.  Firewall is disabled and on server not instaled any antivirus. I test open this directory from another server in remote destination and all is same.In local site is this subdirectory accessible and from remote not for all user.I try disable TCP Chimney Offload, Receive Side Scaling on Share Files Server 2003 R2, update network card driver to last driver version but still unable to open this directory.
    Thursday, August 31, 2017 7:19 PM
  • Hi mdvorak72,

Could you please try UNC path and IP address path to access the share? Same results?

And when you ping the server with ip address and Fqdn from remoter server, anything wrong?

>All other folder are accesible. When I rename this folder is accesible when I change name folder back to origin not accessible

That's really strange. Could you please check the effectiveness access for the folder?

Best Regards,

Mary

Friday, September 1, 2017 2:13 AM
  • Hi Mary, yes I tried UNC path and IP address path to access the share. Same results. Server have five disk with share and hundreds folders with subfolders. All other are accessed. I tried copy folder to new path and change folder rights again. Same results. I now tried create now empty folder with same name in other folder and rights read for all domain user. Same results. That's really strange. I haves one domain with two remote sites. From local site is thist one folder name accessed from remote not.

Friday, September 1, 2017 7:39 AM
  • This is probably network problem because i create same folder "SAM" name on other server and not remote accessible to. Other variation name "SIM, SOM, SAMA" work. Both network are linked VPN.
    • Proposed as answer by Mary DongModerator Friday, September 1, 2017 9:13 AM
    • Marked as answer by mdvorak72 Sunday, December 3, 2017 5:57 PM
    Friday, September 1, 2017 7:57 AM
  • Hi mdvorak72,

>This is probably network problem because i create same folder "SAM" name on other server and not remote accessible to. Other variation name "SIM, SOM, SAMA" work. Both network are linked VPN

Could be. And now if change the new name, it works?

Best Regards,

Mary

• Marked as answer by mdvorak72 Sunday, December 3, 2017 5:59 PM
    Friday, September 1, 2017 9:13 AM
  • Folder with other name works fine. Thank you for help.
    Sunday, December 3, 2017 6:00 PM