none
Windows 2008R2 "Shell Hardware detection service" long boot time

Question

• Hello,

we have windows 2008r2 terminalserver with long boot time.
    When i reboot a server, after a short time, i can see the strg+alt+del to login.

After entering the credentials, the login is hanging at "welcome" or "applying drive map policies".
    Sometimes, after rebooting the server, logon is fast.
    I have taken a look at the event logs.
    There are a lot of 7036 event, all informational, service was started.
    Most time there are only a few seconds between the entries.
    After one event 7036, "WMI Leistungsadpater" has been started, there is a 3 minutes delay. After that i can see an entry "Shell hardware detection service" has been started.
    I think there is my problem.
    Somebody has the same problem?
    Is there a hotfix or workaroung available?

Also, sometimes (one time a week) the group policy prefernces client stops. Only reboot helps.

Thank you

Regards

Marc

Thursday, April 07, 2011 7:43 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As far as I know, if the service is stopped, we may encounter the following problems:

• The Autoplay feature does not work. For example, when we insert a CD into the computer's CD drive, the computer does not automatically play the CD. Or, when we connect an external hard disk to the computer, the computer does not display the contents of the external hard disk.
    •  The Fast User Switching feature is unavailable.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, April 11, 2011 5:43 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please temporarily change the Startup type of the Shell Hardware Detection service to Manual and restart the computer to check the result.

If the issue persists, I suggest performing a clean boot:

1.     Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

2.     On the General tab, click Selective Startup.

3.     Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.

4.     Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.

5.     Click OK.

6.     When you are prompted, click Restart.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, April 08, 2011 6:41 AM
  • Hello,

thanks for you answer. Do i need the Shell HW detection service? The server is a virtualized RemoteDesktop Host.

Regards

Sunday, April 10, 2011 8:42 PM
  • Hi,

As far as I know, if the service is stopped, we may encounter the following problems:

• The Autoplay feature does not work. For example, when we insert a CD into the computer's CD drive, the computer does not automatically play the CD. Or, when we connect an external hard disk to the computer, the computer does not display the contents of the external hard disk.
    •  The Fast User Switching feature is unavailable.

Monday, April 11, 2011 5:43 AM
  • Hello,

thanks, so i can disable the service and see what happens.
    Nobody will insert a cd in my terminalserver and use autoplay ;-)
    Also fast user switching should not needed in Remotedesktop Scenarios, i think

Monday, April 11, 2011 5:47 AM
  • Please feel free to update me here when you get the result.

Have a nice day.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 3:09 AM
  • Hello,

seems to be problems with wmi repository or group policy history folder.

Link to other post: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverTS/thread/ecbddd24-5f06-42ed-b906-08570dc5032f/

Monday, January 09, 2012 11:52 AM