Proxy Settings per machine - policy or preference? RRS feed

• Question

• Can Proxy settings be set under HKLM\Software\Policies\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings (i.e. can they be set up as a true policy, rather than a preference?)

Thursday, April 21, 2011 9:25 AM

Answers

• There is a policy for setting the proxy per machine:
    Policy Make proxy settings per-machine (rather than per-user)
    Category Path Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\internet Explorer\
    Supported On At least Internet Explorer 5.0
    Registry Key HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\internet Settings
    Value proxySettingsPerUser

Applies proxy settings to all users of the same computer.
    If you enable this policy, users cannot set user-specific proxy settings.
    They must use the zones created for all users of the computer.
    If you disable this policy or do not configure it, users of the same computer can establish their own proxy settings.
    This policy is intended to ensure that proxy settings apply uniformly to the same computer and do not vary from user to user.

Note: A website I use for finding the Group Policy I want (and to see if something is possible with Group Policy) is: http://gps.cloudapp.net/

Hope this helps you.
    Thursday, April 21, 2011 1:29 PM

All replies

• There is a policy for setting the proxy per machine:
    Policy Make proxy settings per-machine (rather than per-user)
    Category Path Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\internet Explorer\
    Supported On At least Internet Explorer 5.0
    Registry Key HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\internet Settings
    Value proxySettingsPerUser

Applies proxy settings to all users of the same computer.
    If you enable this policy, users cannot set user-specific proxy settings.
    They must use the zones created for all users of the computer.
    If you disable this policy or do not configure it, users of the same computer can establish their own proxy settings.
    This policy is intended to ensure that proxy settings apply uniformly to the same computer and do not vary from user to user.

Note: A website I use for finding the Group Policy I want (and to see if something is possible with Group Policy) is: http://gps.cloudapp.net/

Hope this helps you.
    Thursday, April 21, 2011 1:29 PM
  • If this setting (ProxySettingsPerUser) is implemented how/where do you set the proxy server to be used?

Thursday, June 6, 2013 8:05 AM
  • Gavin's question is pertinent. I've searched many places on Internet, but couldn't find a single answer. Any ideas?
    Wednesday, November 13, 2013 6:54 PM
  • Seconded - I'm struggling with this one too.  We've always used proxy settings per user and used the user policy setting "hide the connections page" so they can't actually get to the proxy dialog box to change it. However with Windows 8.1 there's a new interface to change proxy settings via the settings charm (PC settings\network\proxy) and the existing policies don't lock this down.

Wondering about switching to per-machine proxy settings but can't find much on the question of where you actually set the proxy server in this case. 

Gavin/Alan - did you ever find an answer to this?

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 10:42 AM
  • I am bumping this discussion because I am also having issues with this. I always get half the answer but never the rest.
    Wednesday, February 26, 2014 8:41 PM
  • We finally got a solution to this - you have to write the settings to the machine registry in two different places, one of which involves binary keys.  Not very elegant or easy to manage but it does work - full details are here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/7d420c66-2e89-43d7-b136-baf5f69690f1/locking-down-ie-proxy-settings-under-pc-settingsnetworkproxy-on-windows-81?forum=w8itprosecurity

HTH

Thursday, February 27, 2014 1:40 PM
  • What actually worked for me was to configure proxy settings with registry keys at User Configuration\Preferences\Windows Settings\Registry. (ProxyEnabled and ProxyServer keys) Next, apply GPO to OU where machines reside. Finally, enable Loopback processing mode at 

Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\System\Group Policy

Setting: User Group Policy loopback processing mode

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 2:54 PM