none
Server 2003 migration to server 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all.

Question. Windows server 2003 is out of support. But if I in place upgrade to 2008, is the 2008 supported by Microsoft? I know that I can download updates because I am doing it right now on a 2003 box I just upgraded.

Also, everywhere I look I see advise given in forums not to do in place upgrades, I just want to check my logic, because MSFT support in place upgrade then these upgrades MUST be supported yes?

And last. When I jump from 2003 to 2008. or 2008 to 2012, what gets left behind from the old installation? I'm trying to understand whether the newer OS works because it is using hard links to the old OS directory, that sort of thing. As an example I note 2 read only folders when I upgrade from 2003 to 2008 called: $WINDOWS.~Q and $INPLCE.Q     What are they? Can I delete them, are they for roll back purposes?

Any help appreciated.

Tuesday, September 13, 2016 1:25 PM

Answers

• In-place upgrade is supported but not recommended. If you upgrade you'll never know for sure how much lingering corruption was also migrated. Better to clean install and migrate the roles / applications over to new OS.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Palmer_001 Friday, September 16, 2016 10:18 AM
    Tuesday, September 13, 2016 1:31 PM
  • Hi Palmer,

In addition, suggest you could check the article below about applications

Application Considerations When Upgrading to Windows Server 2008

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771576(v=ws.10).aspx

Best Regard,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 14, 2016 7:13 AM

All replies

• In-place upgrade is supported but not recommended. If you upgrade you'll never know for sure how much lingering corruption was also migrated. Better to clean install and migrate the roles / applications over to new OS.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, September 13, 2016 1:31 PM
  • Thanks for responding Dave.

Issue I have is with some legacy app, no source code or expertise on site that knows enough about the app to redeploy :)

So, until such time as effort can be made to the re-coding or looking at replacing the function I am left with little choice. I plan to clone into silo network, upgrade and test. I was just looking for insight into what changes occur on the operating system. Is there any documentation that can tell me what the directory structure differences between OS versions. Thanks.

Tuesday, September 13, 2016 1:53 PM
  • Hello,

In general system folder structure will be the same until you stay on x86. User folders/temp folder change slightly (you should look at them in your test lab).

The main difference is that the Windows Server 2008 introduced the modular approach, when the system files are stored in a packed way and unpacked when needed (when roles or features are added), which often affects applications, so, as you have said, you should pay serious attention to thorough UAT for the applciaitons after the upgrade on the test machine.

/Regards

Tuesday, September 13, 2016 2:03 PM
  • There were some rather major changes to kernel 2003>2008 so I'd test the application is not broken by the upgrade.

Tuesday, September 13, 2016 2:09 PM
  • Hi Palmer,

In addition, suggest you could check the article below about applications

Application Considerations When Upgrading to Windows Server 2008

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771576(v=ws.10).aspx

Best Regard,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 14, 2016 7:13 AM
  • Brilliant! Exactly what I was looking for thank you Mary.
    Friday, September 16, 2016 10:18 AM