Failed Storage Spaces causes BSOD RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings to all,
    I had two HDDs setup in Storage Spaces and they were set to the basic storage pooling and no duplicates, (DE basically)

I added the 3rd HDD and it crashed before it could complete the process. Now the system boots, and crashes as soon as I login. I get the blue screen with SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION. It dumps the data and restarts. It does this over and over again.

I can take out the HDDs and it boots fine, but the problem is that it's looking for three HDDs in spaces, so when it sees only two, it tells me it needs to "reset" it, which is basically formatting it. As soon as I add the third drive (the one that failed during the process), it again crashes with the same error.

I am wondering:

Why doesn't it just work with the two HDDs and try to "fix" the failed one?

How can I recover that data from inside the Server itself? 

The third drive was basically empty and I assumed it formatted anyway, should I format the drive again myself and try to add it to the pool?

Although I have backups, I really want to recover the data inside. Since I'm sure the data is there, I know I should be able to use a recover software, but shouldn't Windows offer something in order to fix this error?

Any help would be superb.

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 10:40 PM

All replies

• Greetings to all,
    I had two HDDs setup in Storage Spaces and they were set to the basic storage pooling and no duplicates, (DE basically)

I added the 3rd HDD and it crashed before it could complete the process. Now the system boots, and crashes as soon as I login. I get the blue screen with SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION. It dumps the data and restarts. It does this over and over again.

I can take out the HDDs and it boots fine, but the problem is that it's looking for three HDDs in spaces, so when it sees only two, it tells me it needs to "reset" it, which is basically formatting it. As soon as I add the third drive (the one that failed during the process), it again crashes with the same error.

I am wondering:

Why doesn't it just work with the two HDDs and try to "fix" the failed one?

How can I recover that data from inside the Server itself? 

The third drive was basically empty and I assumed it formatted anyway, should I format the drive again myself and try to add it to the pool?

Although I have backups, I really want to recover the data inside. Since I'm sure the data is there, I know I should be able to use a recover software, but shouldn't Windows offer something in order to fix this error?

Any help would be superb.

To be honest, other than what happened to start the bad chain of events (the system crashing when you added the third drive in the first place), everything sounds "normal" to me.  You created a simple drive (also known as a striped array, or RAID 0, which has no redundancy at all) with the first 2 drives.  In a striped array, the failure of any drive in the array constitutes the loss of data across all drives in the array (therefore, it cannot be "fixed" like a mirror (RAID 1) or parity (RAID 5) array can).  The timing may have been such that the third drive was part of the pool for an instant, then the failure (thereby "wiping" out the data).  Now, in your case, obviously it never had any user data added to it (it might have had OS data written to it marking it as a Storage Space drive, but maybe not, it's hard to say).  Have you tried connecting that drive to another OS and see if you can see it, how it's identified in Disk Management, etc.?

Recovery of data - this is not Drive Extender (which was a file-based storage subsystem).  It's block-based (similar to what DE v2 would have been had it made it to RTM status in WHS 2011/SBS 2011 Essentials).  You can't just connect a single drive that was part of the pool and get some data from it like you can with WHS v1.  In order to recover data, you need to connect the entire pool of Storage Space drives (which, in your case, might be 2 or 3, depending on what happened when, and, judging by the "reset" function you see with only 2 drives, it probably needs all 3) to a Win8/Server 2012 computer.

I suppose you can try adding the drive to the pool again, but I doubt that will help any.

In any event, my suggestion would be to file a bug report on Connect and to see if the server team at Microsoft might be able to help.  They will no doubt want the server logs as well, so you should not wipe out the OS until you hear back from them.  There is a sticky at the top of this forum with details on how to file a bug report.

• Edited by kariya21 Thursday, August 16, 2012 5:09 PM
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 5:01 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Kariya21.

Well, I guess I'll be reporting it ASAP. As far as connecting it to a different drive, I have a Win7 Ultimate test machine...and once connected it just doesn't see it and in "Manage" section, my only option is to convert it to a dynamic drive...which I'm not sure if it would help.

Do you know if Win Server 2012 Essentials would just KNOW the Storage Pool if i installed a fresh copy on a different HDD and plugged those three in? 

Thursday, August 16, 2012 8:00 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Kariya21.

Well, I guess I'll be reporting it ASAP. As far as connecting it to a different drive, I have a Win7 Ultimate test machine...and once connected it just doesn't see it and in "Manage" section, my only option is to convert it to a dynamic drive...which I'm not sure if it would help.

Probably not.  I was hoping it might say something like "Storage Spaces drive" or some such.  What if you connect it to your 2012 Essentials (or Win8 or Server 2012) by itself and go to Disk Management (assuming it doesn't blue screen on you)?  Does it say something like that?
    Do you know if Win Server 2012 Essentials would just KNOW the Storage Pool if i installed a fresh copy on a different HDD and plugged those three in? 

In theory, yes.  As long as you connect an entire pool of drives created by Storage Spaces to a computer that recognizes SS (Win8 or any version of Server 2012), it should recognize it as a SS pool.  But, since it sounds like every time you connect that third drive you have issues, you might not be able to get to that point.  Also, if you want a good read about SS, there is an article here (it's from the CP of Win8, but it still has some good info).

• Edited by kariya21 Thursday, August 16, 2012 9:22 PM
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 9:21 PM
  • ok, so this is what I'm gonna be doing in the next 24 hours:

I'm gonna install a nice and fresh copy of Windows 8 on my workstation, since TechNet has it now, might as well use the RTM and enjoy the Metro...I mean Modern UI!

I'm gonna test to see if Windows 8 will recognize the drives.

I'm gonna install a fresh copy of Essentials 2012 and see if the drives will work on it. I don't understand what might cause a SERVER KERNAL to crash like this...it just seems to strange...Windows Servers don't just crash like this...even Beta...not even since NT 4.0 days do I remember a case like this.

I will be reporting this with screenshots :) wish me luck!

Friday, August 17, 2012 12:34 AM
  • Fresh new install on a different HDD, as soon as I plug in the failed HDD, the system crashes, regardless of the scenario. Safe mode, not logged in, doesn't matter, plug = death.

attached you can see the error:

So I was thinking maybe I could mirror this HDD on a different drive, and see if that's the problem.

or create another three disk Storage Space and then mirror the 3rd one's data into THIS failed one...what do you think?

edit:

tried on Windows 8. It doesn't crash, but doesn't work either. Screen shots attached.

• Edited by MetaLRasaM Friday, August 17, 2012 3:48 PM
    Friday, August 17, 2012 2:53 PM
  • Friday, August 17, 2012 3:49 PM
  • Fresh new install on a different HDD, as soon as I plug in the failed HDD, the system crashes, regardless of the scenario. Safe mode, not logged in, doesn't matter, plug = death.

attached you can see the error:

So I was thinking maybe I could mirror this HDD on a different drive, and see if that's the problem.

or create another three disk Storage Space and then mirror the 3rd one's data into THIS failed one...what do you think?

<image snipped>

I guess you could try it...

edit:

tried on Windows 8. It doesn't crash, but doesn't work either. Screen shots attached.

<image snipped>

I got to thinking that that MIGHT be because of the build number changing (Essentials beta is 8400, while Win8 RTM is 9200).  I know that you couldn't move a SS pool from Server 2012 beta (build 8250) to Server 2012 RC (build 8400), so this might be the same.  If you happen to have Win8 RP (which is 8400), you could try that.  But it just seems to me that there is some issue with that drive...
    Friday, August 17, 2012 4:38 PM

• It looks like you got all 3 connected here.  What OS is this on?  Do you happen to know which one of these 3 is the culprit drive?
    Friday, August 17, 2012 4:39 PM

• I got to thinking that that MIGHT be because of the build number changing (Essentials beta is 8400, while Win8 RTM is 9200).  I know that you couldn't move a SS pool from Server 2012 beta (build 8250) to Server 2012 RC (build 8400), so this might be the same.  If you happen to have Win8 RP (which is 8400), you could try that.  But it just seems to me that there is some issue with that drive...

hmm....I like that idea! I do have the RP on DVD sitting right next to me...I'll format the new 2012 Essentials to RP and see if that helps. (my day off...yayyyyyy /sarcasm)

BTW, I thought maybe my MSS might be the problem, so I swapped all the initial server drives into my workstation and booted off the original Win12E drive, and exact same issue. The drive causes it do crash. So even if it's a hardware issue, it is limited to the drive. But we know it isn't the drive, because Windows 8 RTM sees the drive fine, and even reports it as healthy.

Regarding the culprit, it's one of the 2TB drives...I have marked the hard physically, but not sure which one it is in the screenshots.

So as of right now, I am left with two options:

1. Try the RP

2. Try recovery software. 

Thanks for the ideas during this process! I feel like a runaway teenager, giving birth to a lovechild and all of a sudden a stranger is holding my hand during the birth!

Friday, August 17, 2012 6:13 PM
  • hmm....I like that idea! I do have the RP on DVD sitting right next to me...I'll format the new 2012 Essentials to RP and see if that helps. (my day off...yayyyyyy /sarcasm)

BTW, I thought maybe my MSS might be the problem, so I swapped all the initial server drives into my workstation and booted off the original Win12E drive, and exact same issue. The drive causes it do crash. So even if it's a hardware issue, it is limited to the drive. But we know it isn't the drive, because Windows 8 RTM sees the drive fine, and even reports it as healthy.

Regarding the culprit, it's one of the 2TB drives...I have marked the hard physically, but not sure which one it is in the screenshots.

So as of right now, I am left with two options:

1. Try the RP

2. Try recovery software. 

Thanks for the ideas during this process! I feel like a runaway teenager, giving birth to a lovechild and all of a sudden a stranger is holding my hand during the birth!

Just out of curiosity, is the hardware (CPU, motherboard, RAM, etc.) where you installed Win8 RTM (where you can see the hard drive in Disk Management) the same hardware as where you installed 2012 Essentials? If not, maybe there is a problem with the 2012 Essentials hardware (i.e. bad data cable and/or the port on the motherboard where the cable is plugged into).

As for identifying the culprit, I was just hoping you would say it was the 3 TB drive (then it might have been the fact that it was > 2 TB).

Friday, August 17, 2012 6:28 PM
  • So here are the latest updates:

First of all, I tried two different set of hardwares; my original MediaSmartServer, which was the original Essentials setup, and my workstation, which is the Win 8 RTM. I swapped all the drives from MSS to my workstation, and booted off the Essentials original drives, and the results were identical, as in BSOD. So it can't be a hardware issue, not to mention I already tried juggling all ports and HDDs in the MSS. The problem is with something that's written on that last pooled drive. I don't know what, but it causes it to crash as soon as it reads it.

I just tried the Windows 8 RP as you suggested, and it again crashed, just like the Essentials. So whatever the problem is, it is either fixed in latest releases, or because they aren't compatible with previous builds, Windows 8 RTM just isn't able to "translate" that Storage Spaces commands, that's why it doesn't crash.

I am out of ideas. Data recovery software?

Friday, August 17, 2012 6:51 PM
  • So here are the latest updates:

First of all, I tried two different set of hardwares; my original MediaSmartServer, which was the original Essentials setup, and my workstation, which is the Win 8 RTM. I swapped all the drives from MSS to my workstation, and booted off the Essentials original drives, and the results were identical, as in BSOD. So it can't be a hardware issue, not to mention I already tried juggling all ports and HDDs in the MSS. The problem is with something that's written on that last pooled drive. I don't know what, but it causes it to crash as soon as it reads it.

I just tried the Windows 8 RP as you suggested, and it again crashed, just like the Essentials. So whatever the problem is, it is either fixed in latest releases, or because they aren't compatible with previous builds, Windows 8 RTM just isn't able to "translate" that Storage Spaces commands, that's why it doesn't crash.

I am out of ideas. Data recovery software?

I don't know if you're going to be able to use any kind of data recovery software that works on spanned drives (especially for a new technology like Storage Spaces).  I would think any kind of recovery software would need to know what SS is.  You can try it, but I wouldn't get your hopes up...

I see you filed a bug report for it.  I think your "best" chance of recovery will be to wait for MS to respond to your bug report.  Unfortunately, the reality is they will most likely say, "It's beta.  Restore from backups, format and start over".  At least you have backups though (which anyone using a beta product should always have).

Saturday, August 18, 2012 1:07 AM
  • I am out of ideas. Data recovery software?

Data Recovery SS is a link to a recent SNB article titled: “Data Recovery Tales: When Windows Storage Spaces Go Bad”.  The “thin provisioning” feature reinforces the need to make back-up’s.

Saturday, August 18, 2012 1:14 PM
  • So a quick update:

I now have an interested Microsoft developer who's trying to solve this issue at the Connect site, so at least MS is now involved and they have my dumps and logs.

I'm also recovering almost all the files in my 3rd drive, using Active@ File Recovery software. I tried recovering the partition, but that didn't work. 

Something funny: I have over 5TB of data on my 2TB drive! The amount of duplicates is insane and I don't understand how this happened. It's not like I copied my files around THAT much...but almost all the files have two other identical copies with (00001) and (00002) at the end of the name. I'm basically recovering and deleting duplicates at the same time. Needless to say that it's taking A VERY LONG TIME.

Also, thanks you Working1, the link while poignant, was super helpful. 

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 12:43 AM