none
How do I move multiple pinters between printservers and swap driver in the process RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

I have two printservers containing some 300 printers that I would like to move (or rather copy) to other servers. I know that Printmig can do it for me, but I would like to swap driver in the process. The printers I want to move are various HP's with their own particular driver, and I want to exchange them for either HP Universal printer driver or LaserJet 4 (for those that do not support UPD) without bringing the current driver over. I want to keep the name and port information as it is.

Does anyone have a/some tip(s) as to how I should go about it? Script/third party app/???

Share and enjoy
    /Kjetil Thorstensen, Norway
    Tuesday, November 11, 2008 2:40 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You can use the Printer Migration Wizard or the Printbrm.exe command-line tool to export print settings and then import them on another print server running a Windows operating system. This is an efficient way to consolidate multiple print servers or replace an oldprint server.

The Printer Migration Wizard and Printbrm.exe can import and export printers on computers running Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003.

The following article tells you how to use the above two methods to migrate printer servers:

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/en/library/b030067b-effa-4e6b-a47d-d61debaf90621033.mspx?mfr=true

However, based on my knowledge, they couldn't help us swap drivers in the migration process. We have to respectively install printer drivers and migrate prineter settings.

Thursday, November 13, 2008 7:29 AM

All replies

• Wednesday, November 12, 2008 10:02 AM
  • Hi,

You can use the Printer Migration Wizard or the Printbrm.exe command-line tool to export print settings and then import them on another print server running a Windows operating system. This is an efficient way to consolidate multiple print servers or replace an oldprint server.

The Printer Migration Wizard and Printbrm.exe can import and export printers on computers running Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003.

The following article tells you how to use the above two methods to migrate printer servers:

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/en/library/b030067b-effa-4e6b-a47d-d61debaf90621033.mspx?mfr=true

However, based on my knowledge, they couldn't help us swap drivers in the migration process. We have to respectively install printer drivers and migrate prineter settings.

Thursday, November 13, 2008 7:29 AM