none
WSUS Not Working. Won't connect. Don't see anything.

Question

• I'm not sure what happened, but my WSUS is no longer working. I've been trying to find a solution, but nothing seems to work.

I first noticed the problem when I was trying to install TMG on a virtual machine. (My hunch is that messing with the Virtual Network Connections did something but I don't know for sure.)

When installing TMG, the installation asks that you do a windows update. Since the computers on my network are updated via WSUS, I went to Server Manager to approve updates for it, but I noticed that WSUS wasn't even working. When I clicked on Update Services, the right hand window showed an Error: Unexpected Error message and gave me 2 options: Reset Server Node and Copy Error To Clipboard. (Resetting doesn't do anything.)

When I open my WSUS console from Administrative Tools, it shows me nothing either, so i clicked on Connect To Server and typed in the server's name (which is MES-SERVER) with port as 80 and SSL was left off.

But I get a Cannot connect to MES-SERVER error message.

Going back to Server Manager and under Windows Server Update Services, I noticed a whole bunch of errors and the Best Practices Analyzer gave me an error too.

I tried looking for a resolution, and one of them suggested I reinstall WSUS. I tried that. Didn't work. In fact the Configuration Wizard doesn't even start after the install.

I tried reinstalling IIS as well. Still nothing.

The Best Practices Analyzer says The SelfUpdate folder should be correctly installed on the default Website

Under Events, I see a number of errors:

Event IDs:      13042, 12002, 12012, 12032, 12022, 12042, 12052 & 7053

Self-update is not working
    The Reporting Web Service is not working.
    The API Remoting Web Service is not working.
    The Server Synchronization Web Service is not working.
    The Client Web Service is not working.
    The SimpleAuth Web Service is not working.
    The DSS Authentication Web Service is not working.

What on earth is going on and how can I fix this issue? (What would Jesus do? :-P)

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 7:27 AM

Answers

• Hi Muhammad,

Hmm that is odd that WSUS ever worked on 2008 R2 as only WSUS SP2 is supported for 2008 R2.

At the command prompt type iisrest, this will reset IIS, which can solve the problem where you receive the error message 'An Error occured when communicating with the server and this wizard must be closed. You may restart the WSUS Server Configuration Wizard from the options page in the WSUS 3.0 console".

The error reported can also occur if something else on the server is listening on port 80, at the command prompt type netstat -an to list all TCP/UDP ports being used and check that port 80 is not being used by another application/service as well as IIS.  BTW in IIS do you have multiple websites listening on port 80? 

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

spar1GreP

spar1grep
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 7:45 AM

All replies

• Hi Muhammad,

Have you checked the services are all running, i.e. Update Services, Windows Internal Database?  Going back to the original problem before the reinstallation broke everythng if you cannot connect to the WSUS server it is usually down to the Update Services or Windows Internal Database services not running.

Myself I would uninstall WSUS completely, check that all the websites and virtual directories have been removed from IIS as part of the install.  Confirm IIS is working by default and then perform a install from scratch (with a reboot of the server between the uninstall and reinstall).

Hope this helps.

spar1GreP

spar1grep
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 2:08 PM
  • I uninstalled both and tried reinstalling them. IIS installed with no problems.

When I try to reinstall WSUS, I get the following error:

An unexpected error occurred and this wizard must be closed. You ma restart the WSUS Server Configuration Wizard from teh Options page in the WSUS console.

Ofcourse, there is no Options page, cuz theres nothing there. I'm guessing something's wrong with the installation wizard? I'm going to try and download Windows Server Update Services 3.0 SP2 and try that.

Monday, May 17, 2010 4:15 AM
  • Ok, downloaded WSUS SP2 and tried to install it, but nothing. Same error again. Any clues?

Monday, May 17, 2010 6:37 AM
  • Hi Muhammad,

Once you have uninstalled WSUS, check perform the following checks:

Confirm you have no Update Services service listed in the service console.

Confirm that the folder where you have installed Update Services to has been removed.

Confirm you have no registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Update Services.

Remove the Windows Internal Database application that is installed, NB this means you will loose all settings and configurations within WSUS you previosuly had.

Delete all files from your %TEMP% folder when logged into the server with the account you will use to install WSUS.

Reinstall MMC 3.0.

Reboot and retry the installation.

I am not sure as to the exact cause of the problem your having but MMC may have become corrupted, therefore reinstalling MMC 3.0 should resolve that, the other steps above are just troubleshooting steps to determine if the WSUS installation is picking up a previous configuration that is no longer valid.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

spar1GreP.

spar1grep
    Monday, May 17, 2010 10:35 AM
  • Hi Muhammad,

Once you have uninstalled WSUS, check perform the following checks:

Confirm you have no Update Services service listed in the service console. CHECK

Confirm that the folder where you have installed Update Services to has been removed. CHECK

Confirm you have no registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Update Services. Not at this location. No, the folder does not exist.

Remove the Windows Internal Database application that is installed, NB this means you will loose all settings and configurations within WSUS you previosuly had. I selected this when I uninstalled.

Delete all files from your %TEMP% folder when logged into the server with the account you will use to install WSUS. I don't see anything for WSUS in there. But I deleted almost everything in there. (Made a back up just in case.) 

Reinstall MMC 3.0. I'm running Server 2008 R2. MMC 3.0 is available for download from MSFT for Windows Server 2003. What should I do? (Help?)

Reboot and retry the installation.

I am not sure as to the exact cause of the problem your having but MMC may have become corrupted, therefore reinstalling MMC 3.0 should resolve that, the other steps above are just troubleshooting steps to determine if the WSUS installation is picking up a previous configuration that is no longer valid.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

spar1GreP.

spar1grep
    Thanks for the reply. Appreciate the help.
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 4:37 AM
  • Hi Muhammad,

Hmm that is odd that WSUS ever worked on 2008 R2 as only WSUS SP2 is supported for 2008 R2.

At the command prompt type iisrest, this will reset IIS, which can solve the problem where you receive the error message 'An Error occured when communicating with the server and this wizard must be closed. You may restart the WSUS Server Configuration Wizard from the options page in the WSUS 3.0 console".

The error reported can also occur if something else on the server is listening on port 80, at the command prompt type netstat -an to list all TCP/UDP ports being used and check that port 80 is not being used by another application/service as well as IIS.  BTW in IIS do you have multiple websites listening on port 80? 

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

spar1GreP

spar1grep
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 7:45 AM
  • As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!

Friday, May 21, 2010 9:08 AM
  • Thanks man!

To me happened that after I installed WSUS, the installation wizard said that a new "configuration wizard" should start, but instead, just the error you mentioned came up.

So after a IISRESET all went well...wxcept the fact that i now have to get it all working, and set up, and KNOW WSUS...

Thank one more time!

Cheers.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 12:54 PM