none
OpenGL in Windows Server vNext Technical preview RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using nVidia Tesla C2050 card. I've setup two VMs and the RemoteFX driver is detected. The latest nVidia drivers for the C2050 are installed on the host machine.

I tried a Heaven Benchmark inside VMs for a test and DirectX 11 and 9 benchmarks are working properly.
    The problem is OpenGL doesn't work. Any other applications also doesn't detect OpenGL acceleration. It just falls back to software renderer.

Do I need to do any special configuration to enable OpenGL or the drivers are not working properly for the my card?
    Monday, November 24, 2014 1:55 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Do you have Windows 10 Technical Preview or Windows Server Technical Preview running in the VMs?

-TP

Monday, November 24, 2014 2:16 PM
  • I have Windows 10 Technical Preview running as guests. Does it make a difference?
    Monday, November 24, 2014 6:46 PM
  • BTW I'm running the latest nVidia drivers from their site. Could the problem be the drivers? Maybe special drivers exist for Windows Server Preview?
    Monday, November 24, 2014 7:09 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for posting in Windows Server Forum.

The next version of Windows Server adds full support for OpenGL (1-4.4) and OpenCL (1.1). But you need Windows 10 Enterprise Technical Preview for guest VM and Server Technical Preview with Hyper-V installed.

More information.
    What's New in Remote Desktop Services for the next version of Windows Server?
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rds/archive/2014/10/07/what-s-new-in-remote-desktop-services-for-the-next-version-of-windows-server.aspx

Hope it helps!

Thanks.

Dharmesh Solanki

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 7:49 AM
  • Yes, I'm using Windows 10 Enterprise Technical Preview. Sorry for not mentioning that.

Is there a way to check if OpenGL is enabled/supported properly from the host system?

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 7:51 AM
  • Hi,

Are we suggesting that OpenGL is not currently available in the Build numbers released so far?

This is explicitly what I'm working towards and was under the impression after reviewing Benny and Rubens Session (EM-B311) from TechEd Barcelona that this was what Benny had used to demonstrate OpenGL in a LAN environment.

I'll continue with building up and troubleshooting my Lab, but I would really appreciate it if we can get this point clarified ASAP as it will help folks set expectations correctly.

Do we have any indicative time frame of when this might be released if it hasn't already been included?

Thanks in advance,
    Dave C

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 8:07 PM
  • Can any of the Microsoft technical personnel join and share their experiences.

Maybe there are some prerequisites regarding graphics card which need to be satisfied?

Wednesday, November 26, 2014 1:08 PM
  • Hi,

If you download and run OpenGL Extensions Viewer in the VM, what version of OpenGL does it say is supported?

I have not heard of anyone that has tested a Tesla card with Windows 10 TP.  The current requirement is to use one of the GPUs recommended for Server 2012 R2:

GPU Requirements for RemoteFX on Windows Server 2012 R2

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rds/archive/2013/11/05/gpu-requirements-for-remotefx-on-windows-server-2012-r2.aspx

Please see the article below for more information on requirements, configuring VRAM, etc:

RemoteFX vGPU Updates in Windows Server Next

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rds/archive/2014/11/05/remotefx-vgpu-updates-in-windows-server-next.aspx

Thanks.

-TP

Wednesday, November 26, 2014 1:29 PM
  • noOpenGL
    Wednesday, November 26, 2014 1:55 PM
  • Hi!

Bumping! I have installed an all TP2 lab and I have the same results, nothing more than OpenGL 1.1.

All apps complain and the OpenGL extension viewer claims it is 1.1

This is valid for both RDP with RemoteFX enabled and HyperV Gen1 and Gen2 VMs

Friday, June 26, 2015 11:07 AM
  • Hi!

Bumping! I have installed an all TP2 lab and I have the same results, nothing more than OpenGL 1.1.

All apps complain and the OpenGL extension viewer claims it is 1.1

This is valid for both RDP with RemoteFX enabled and HyperV Gen1 and Gen2 VMs

Another month and no one have had any progress so far
    Thursday, July 23, 2015 7:38 PM
  • According to this:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/31771.experience-guide-for-enabling-opengl-support-for-vgpu-in-server-2016.aspx

It was never really available in TP2 nor Windows 10 Enterprise.

Plus, it still isn't since that article is not reproducible yet, according to this:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ed097fa5-6b23-47e5-9b0e-97baa8476460/enabling-remotefx-using-windows-server-2016-technical-preview-3-as-host-and-guest-os?forum=WinServerPreview

Thursday, August 27, 2015 7:22 PM