none
Remote Desktop Client crashes "faulting application mstsc.exe"

Question

• We have a problem with crashing RDC clients connecting to Windows 2008 (SP2) Terminal Servers.
    Disconnections happen at random moments and intervals (both during active sessions and idle, varying form 5 - 60 min.)

The error in the event log is:
    faulting application mstsc.exe, version 6.xxxx (both 6.0 and 6.1), faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.5755, fault address 0xxxxx (random)

Remote Desktop is situated in an external datacenter and connections happen over the Internet (no VPN). Bandwidth and latency are no issue.

Our client uses a very diverse mix of hardware consisting of HP, Dell, Acer and Sony.
    Problem doesn't occur using Windows Vista or Windows 7.
    Also, the problem doesn't happen on connections to Server 2003 machines!
    Problem seems unrelated to network topology (took a PC for troubleshooting to other network locations)

Troubleshooting actions so far:
    Reinstall XP SP3
    (Re)install RDC 6.1
    (Re)install Directx 9.0c
    (Re)install .Net Framework 3.5 SP1
    Update/downgrade network drivers
    Microsoft update
    Disable Virusscanner
    Disable sound scheme and sound card
    Include mstsc.exe in DEP exclusion list
    Disable DirectDraw/Direct3D (dxdiag)

Haven't seen the problem in save mode yet, but are still in the process of troubleshouting.

Pls advice

Monday, September 7, 2009 3:59 PM

Answers

• It strongly appears the problem is caused by the presence of the "Broadgun PdfMachine" printer on the local XP client.
    After removing this printer, the problem seems to be resolved.

Not sure if this is a bug in the Broadgun software, the Remote Desktop Connection, Windows XP, the .NET Framework or something else. 
    Do 'poor' printer drivers (Broadgun fully supports 2008 and Terminal Services) cause this kind of issues more often? The crashes happend randomly, without any relation to print jobs!

For those interested to further investigate the issue:
    The Broadgun software was also installed on the Remote Desktop server (2008 SP2) itself.
    Both server and my test subject had version 12.18 installed.

• Marked as answer by Wilson Jia Thursday, September 10, 2009 3:13 AM
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 12:33 PM
  • Hi Ron,

As the issue is more related to Broadgun software compatiblity with Windows Remote Desktop. I would suggest you contact Broadgun for the furthur support.

Again, Thank you for posting your issue in Technet Forum.

Best Regards,
    Wilson 
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 3:13 AM

All replies

• Hi Ron,

To troubleshoot the issue, I would like to suggest you perform a clean boot of the problematic client, and then run "SFC /Scannow" to scans integrity of all system files and repairs files.

Step1: Perform a Clean Boot

1. Click "Start", go to "Run", and type "msconfig" in the open box to start the System Configuration Utility.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click Disable All (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4.  Restart your computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the box and click "OK".

Step2: check the integrity of system files and repair them

1. Open CMD command shell

2. run "SFC /Scannow" (without quotation mark)

Best Regards,

Wilson Jia

Tuesday, September 8, 2009 10:11 AM
  • Issue happened on both existing and clean installs.

Approx. 30 PC’s of different make, installed on different dates by different persons (no common image), corruption seems unlikely imho.

The problem appears to be related to the Windows XP print spooler in combination with EasyPrint (.NET Framework?).
    Discovered that some user profiles contain one or more non existing printers. After removing all offline printers from my test PC, the problem didn't reappear (it's stable for over 5 hours so far....)

The coming period we'll test this on the rest of the PC’s …

Tuesday, September 8, 2009 2:21 PM
  • Hi Ron,

Thanks for your update.

To isolate the root issue, before you run the RDC, you may disable the printers option under mstsc >> Options >> Local Resources.

Best Regards,
    Wilson
    • Edited by Wilson Jia Thursday, September 10, 2009 3:09 AM
    • Proposed as answer by alexcomp Friday, February 3, 2017 4:16 PM
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 7:23 AM
  • It strongly appears the problem is caused by the presence of the "Broadgun PdfMachine" printer on the local XP client.
    After removing this printer, the problem seems to be resolved.

Not sure if this is a bug in the Broadgun software, the Remote Desktop Connection, Windows XP, the .NET Framework or something else. 
    Do 'poor' printer drivers (Broadgun fully supports 2008 and Terminal Services) cause this kind of issues more often? The crashes happend randomly, without any relation to print jobs!

For those interested to further investigate the issue:
    The Broadgun software was also installed on the Remote Desktop server (2008 SP2) itself.
    Both server and my test subject had version 12.18 installed.

Wednesday, September 9, 2009 12:33 PM
  • Hi Ron,

As the issue is more related to Broadgun software compatiblity with Windows Remote Desktop. I would suggest you contact Broadgun for the furthur support.

Again, Thank you for posting your issue in Technet Forum.

Best Regards,
    Wilson 
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 3:13 AM
  • I turned off printer redirecting and it resolved the issue for me as well!! Thanks!!
    Wednesday, January 17, 2018 1:19 AM