none
Windows Server 2016 - C:\Logs directory

Question

• Did anyone else notice the RTM of Windows 2016 installation includes a C:\Logs directory that is full of exported event logs from 9/12/2016? When you open up the logs, the events contain references to machines that I can only assume are Microsoft owned, possible developer machines.  For example "WIN-ES6N1AC3DVH" in the Application log file.

Maybe just me, but this seems likes an oops...someone left unintended log files on a RTM version of Windows???  I am not a developer, but isn't there supposed to be check-outs and sign-offs before going gold?  Or am I just blowing this out of proportion and these logs are intentional?

NK

• Edited by NJK-Work Friday, October 21, 2016 8:15 PM
    Friday, October 21, 2016 8:14 PM

Answers

All replies

• I don't have any files in \windows\logs folder older than my build. I looked in the application event log and found one 9/12/2016  "User Profile Service stopped"

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Todd Heron Saturday, October 22, 2016 12:40 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by NJK-Work Monday, October 24, 2016 3:57 PM
    Friday, October 21, 2016 11:14 PM
  • I can confirm the same.

There's a C:\Logs with 90 exported log files all dating from 9/12/2016.

In as well Server Core 2016 std/datacenter and Server 2016 std/datacenter sourced from MSDN and VLSC these files are present.

Kind regards,

Stephan Schwarz.

If one of these posts answered your question or issue, please click on "Mark as answer".

My Blog | Twitter: @Schwarz_Stephan | MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, MCSE (Charter Member), MCC-2011.
    Automatically determine target OU from ComputerName with PS for MDT2012 U1/ConfigMgr
    How to configure Windows RE/OEM Recovery Partition with MDT 2012 Update 1

• Marked as answer by NJK-Work Monday, October 24, 2016 5:33 PM
    Sunday, October 23, 2016 6:29 PM
  • Hi Dave,

I am referring to C:\Logs not C:\Windows\Logs.

Thanks

NK

Monday, October 24, 2016 3:57 PM
  • Ok, yea I do have those. Since they are outside of \windows directory the OS didn't create them. Appears someone that built the image copied them for some reason from;

\Windows\System32\winevt\Logs

Should be fine to just delete them, but also agree they should not have been there.

You might also mention it over here.

https://windowsserver.uservoice.com/forums/295047-general-feedback

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Monday, October 24, 2016 4:08 PM
  • Dave and Stephan - thank you.

NK

Monday, October 24, 2016 5:34 PM
  • Awesome...I just noticed MS posted a new ISO file on the licensing site (new date and size).  So I downloaded it and installed to see if the C:\Logs directory is now absent...and of course it is. So now I have templates that I built with the original junk ISO that I now have to redo. Because if they fixed the C:\Logs problem, what other stuff did they secretly fix.  And of course there is no mention of it anywhere that I can find...did they just hope nobody noticed the sloppy release of the original ISO?

That original ISO is suspect and junk in my opinion.

NK

Tuesday, February 07, 2017 10:29 PM
  • Awesome...I just noticed MS posted a new ISO file on the licensing site (new date and size).  So I downloaded it and installed to see if the C:\Logs directory is now absent...and of course it is. So now I have templates that I built with the original junk ISO that I now have to redo. Because if they fixed the C:\Logs problem, what other stuff did they secretly fix.  And of course there is no mention of it anywhere that I can find...did they just hope nobody noticed the sloppy release of the original ISO?

That original ISO is suspect and junk in my opinion.

NK

Better to post feedback here on uservoice.

https://windowsserver.uservoice.com/forums/295047-general-feedback

Tuesday, February 07, 2017 10:37 PM