none
Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter, How to disable DHCP&DNS?

Question

• Hi All,

I'm using Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter for ICS across my laptop and phone. But I don't find a way to disable the default DHCP&DNS available with ICS.
    I'll runn Dual Server DHCP&DNS () on my own. Which will get me better control over the DHCP leases and all DNS forwarings along with the full log.
    For this I need to shutdown the default one. It is possible, because Connectify does the same. Just need to figure out how to do that on my own.
    Any help??
    Monday, March 26, 2012 8:00 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

AFAIK, there is no way to disable DHCP allocate or to review the IP leased by ICS. The ICS host will provide NAT services to the whole 192.168.0.x subnet (depending on the IP subnet of the host ), even the ICS clients were set static IPs but not by a real DHCP server.

Refer to this Microsoft KB: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/250603

-- The ICS service is one implementation of Network Address Translation (NAT) that Windows 2000 uses. The ICS service automatically sets up a mini DHCP scope and a DNS Proxy service to enable clients on the private network to use ICS and get on the Internet.

--The DHCP allocator and DNS Proxy services are NOT configurable in ICS and start as soon as the service is enabled. Because these services bind to the same TCP ports that a DDNS or DHCP server uses, ICS conflicts if these services are running.

What’s your operating system?

If it’s Windows 7, then I’d suggest you post in Windows 7 forum
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/w7itpronetworking/threads

If it’s Windows Server 2008 R2, for your reference there’s a workaround. It's not recommended becuase it may cause conflicts. Please refer to:

Windows Server 2008: Disable DHCP on ICS
    http://www.zimbio.com/Windows+XP/articles/wpdWfNbATpq/Windows+Server+2008+Disable+DHCP+ICS

Thanks
    Zhang

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 3:13 AM
  • Hi Zhang,

Thank you very much for the answer. I'm using Win7x64 Pro.

Well, in a straight forward manner this may not be possible. But as I mentioned in my question, I saw one application doing the same. It enables the Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter, and then disables the default DHCP and DNS. The same app uses an open source DHCP/DNS application to better control these. Since I don't want to use a third party app to share the connection when I could do so using a couple command lines, the things I miss is the ability to control DHCP and DNS.

If they can do it, we too can somehow, one way or the other. I was trying to find how!!

Tuesday, April 03, 2012 7:49 PM
  •   No, you can't do it from ICS. ICS is a basic, cut-down version of NAT and is not configurable. You would need to use a third party version of NAT, as the Microsoft full version of NAT only runs in the server OS.

Bill

Tuesday, April 03, 2012 11:36 PM