none
quorum disk?

Question

• Hello,

How are you? I created a cluster with Hyper V Server 2016. I have some doubts about quorum disk:

As best practice I have to created quorum disk on storage? And present to all nodes?

1024mb? 512mb?

I have to assing a letter? It will be visible only from one node? 

Thanks in advance

Regards

Thursday, October 4, 2018 2:53 PM

Answers

• Yes you can create a LUN for the Quorum.  It has to be accessible from all of your cluster nodes.

The size of the LUN can be 512MB but i suggest 1GB.

As soon as your server get the disk in Disk Management, you can format the drive and assign a drive letter (Q: is a common letter for the Quorum).

If your cluster is already configured, you will have to add the Quorum disk into the cluster as a new storage disk and configure the cluster to use the Quorum disk.

hth

This posting is provided AS IS without warranty of any kind

• Marked as answer by exitista Friday, October 5, 2018 2:46 PM
    Thursday, October 4, 2018 7:10 PM
  • Hi

I would recommend  a file share on an external system as it is much more flexible than a CSV

You can store all your CSVs in one place and use quota management to manage the size

If you have any role such as HA databases or VMM you will need a Quorum for them too

Also if you have the CSV for Quorum on the same storage array as your CSV’s for VMs you lose the both at the same time if you have any issue with the storage array

Losing the Quorum on its own isn’t as big a deal as losing the Quorum and VM disks at the same time

which size? 1GB an a CSV not required on Fileshare but quota management it good practise

I have to assign a letter? No drive letter needed, when you make it a CSV it will be marked as a reserved Disk or on a file share all servers can connected to it over the network so the cluster object and all the nodes need permission to the share

It will be visible only from one node? The LUN will be presented to all nodes in the Cluster if it is not you can’t make it a CSV

the CSV is where you store your VMs so if you fail over your roles or the VMs, the receiving node needs to have access to the LUN

For a CSV if you are using fibre you will need at least one path to each node two for redundancy for iscsi you can mount the drive on all servers

bring the disk online on 1 server and format it

add it to failover cluster as available storage, right click and change it to a CSV and failover cluster will bring the LUN online on the rest of the nodes and mark them all as reserved

Failover cluster will then assign an owner node to the disk

If you are going to have more nodes than FC ports, server 2016 scale out file server is a good alternative to ISCSI or a SAN fabric

Hope this helps

Regards

Rob

• Edited by Robert Breslin Thursday, October 4, 2018 11:05 PM
    Thursday, October 4, 2018 11:00 PM
  • A CSV cannot be configured as a witness disk; you must use a simple cluster disk. (note: it is not a 'quorum' disk; it is a witness disk.  Quorum is a numerical value that must be met in order to have a cluster work.  Quorum can be established with or without a witness.)

A witness disk provides a greater level of stability to a cluster than does a file share witness.  The cluster stores cluster information on a witness disk that can be used to re-establish a cluster after a disaster.  Such information is not available in a file share witness.  This is not to say that a cluster cannot be re-established when using a file share witness, it is just that it is slightly easier with a disk witness.

tim

Friday, October 5, 2018 11:51 AM

All replies

• you can use a CSV or a File share

I have a SOFS set up and point all my quorum at the file share but you can do the same with a Standard file share IE: NFS/SMB share

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/clustering/2014/03/31/configuring-a-file-share-witness-on-a-scale-out-file-server/

regards

rob

Thursday, October 4, 2018 3:03 PM
  • A Failover Cluster require to have a Quorum.  It can be a disk or a share witness.

You can follow recommendations in this article

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2008-R2-and-2008/cc770620(v=ws.10)

This blog is also a good reading on the subject

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/microsoft_press/2014/04/28/from-the-mvps-understanding-the-windows-server-failover-cluster-quorum-in-windows-server-2012-r2/

Thursday, October 4, 2018 3:21 PM
  • Hello!! Thanks for replies!!

Thanks for the post that you send me. But some of my questions were not answered. 

I have my CVS on storage HP EVA. A best practice is to create a new LUN on storage for the Quorum disk?

which size? 1024mb? 512mb?

I have to assing a letter? It will be visible only from one node? 

Thanks!

Best regards

Thursday, October 4, 2018 5:31 PM
  • Yes you can create a LUN for the Quorum.  It has to be accessible from all of your cluster nodes.

The size of the LUN can be 512MB but i suggest 1GB.

As soon as your server get the disk in Disk Management, you can format the drive and assign a drive letter (Q: is a common letter for the Quorum).

If your cluster is already configured, you will have to add the Quorum disk into the cluster as a new storage disk and configure the cluster to use the Quorum disk.

hth

Thursday, October 4, 2018 7:10 PM
  • Hi

I would recommend  a file share on an external system as it is much more flexible than a CSV

You can store all your CSVs in one place and use quota management to manage the size

If you have any role such as HA databases or VMM you will need a Quorum for them too

Also if you have the CSV for Quorum on the same storage array as your CSV’s for VMs you lose the both at the same time if you have any issue with the storage array

Losing the Quorum on its own isn’t as big a deal as losing the Quorum and VM disks at the same time

which size? 1GB an a CSV not required on Fileshare but quota management it good practise

I have to assign a letter? No drive letter needed, when you make it a CSV it will be marked as a reserved Disk or on a file share all servers can connected to it over the network so the cluster object and all the nodes need permission to the share

It will be visible only from one node? The LUN will be presented to all nodes in the Cluster if it is not you can’t make it a CSV

the CSV is where you store your VMs so if you fail over your roles or the VMs, the receiving node needs to have access to the LUN

For a CSV if you are using fibre you will need at least one path to each node two for redundancy for iscsi you can mount the drive on all servers

bring the disk online on 1 server and format it

add it to failover cluster as available storage, right click and change it to a CSV and failover cluster will bring the LUN online on the rest of the nodes and mark them all as reserved

Failover cluster will then assign an owner node to the disk

If you are going to have more nodes than FC ports, server 2016 scale out file server is a good alternative to ISCSI or a SAN fabric

Hope this helps

Regards

Rob

• Edited by Robert Breslin Thursday, October 4, 2018 11:05 PM
    Thursday, October 4, 2018 11:00 PM
  • A CSV cannot be configured as a witness disk; you must use a simple cluster disk. (note: it is not a 'quorum' disk; it is a witness disk.  Quorum is a numerical value that must be met in order to have a cluster work.  Quorum can be established with or without a witness.)

A witness disk provides a greater level of stability to a cluster than does a file share witness.  The cluster stores cluster information on a witness disk that can be used to re-establish a cluster after a disaster.  Such information is not available in a file share witness.  This is not to say that a cluster cannot be re-established when using a file share witness, it is just that it is slightly easier with a disk witness.

tim

Friday, October 5, 2018 11:51 AM