none
RDS Licensing from 2008 TS to 2012R2 Licensing Server RRS feed

• Question

• I migrated my TSCals from a 2008 to a 2012 R2 RDS licensing server. I enabled the GPO setting such that any server wishing to receive CALs should be in the local terminal server computers group on the licensing server (newly named RDS Endpoint Servers in 2012 R2). The 2008 R2 terminal servers in my environment can reach the license server with no problem. My 2008 terminal servers claim in licensing diagnosis that they do not exist in the appropriate group on the licensing server, yet they are present. If I turn off the GPO setting for requiring the servers be part of that group on the license server, the 2008 servers immediately start showing no problems in license diagnosis. I would like to be able to lock down the license server such that only computer objects in that group can be granted CALs but when I enable that policy setting the 2008 terminal servers get kicked out, even though they are in the group.

My theory is that 2008 wont honor the new group name on the 2012 R2 license server but that 2008 R2 does honor it. Any thing out there that confirms that?

Thanks.

• Edited by axeshr3dder Monday, March 31, 2014 5:48 PM misspelling
    Monday, March 31, 2014 5:47 PM

Answers

• Now that I was able to figure out that it is not the 2012R2 licensing box causing the issue it was easier to google the fix :). I applied the following hotfix to my 2008 Terminal Servers and licensing started working correctly with the use of the locked down GPO for group membership on the licensing server. Note: I did not need the regkey tweak as I am not in a mixed mode environment.  Hopefully this helps someone in the future but I doubt many people are using 2008 at this point, let alone as a terminal server.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972069/en-us

• Marked as answer by axeshr3dder Tuesday, April 1, 2014 6:26 PM
    Tuesday, April 1, 2014 6:26 PM

All replies

• Some more information. I reverted back to the previous license server temporarily which was the Server 2008 box. I enabled the GPO for License Server Security group on the 2008 license server. I added both my 2008 and my 2008 R2 terminal server objects to the group on the 2008 license server. I found that just as with the 2012 R2 license box, the 2008 boxes could not see that they were in the terminal server computers group on the 2008 license box, but the 2008 r2 boxes could see themselves and properly get CALs. I have checked our network firewalls and all the traffic is flowing as it should. Please advise.
    Tuesday, April 1, 2014 3:24 PM
  • Now that I was able to figure out that it is not the 2012R2 licensing box causing the issue it was easier to google the fix :). I applied the following hotfix to my 2008 Terminal Servers and licensing started working correctly with the use of the locked down GPO for group membership on the licensing server. Note: I did not need the regkey tweak as I am not in a mixed mode environment.  Hopefully this helps someone in the future but I doubt many people are using 2008 at this point, let alone as a terminal server.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972069/en-us

• Marked as answer by axeshr3dder Tuesday, April 1, 2014 6:26 PM
    Tuesday, April 1, 2014 6:26 PM
  • Hi,

Glad to hear that you resolved your case. 

Thank you for sharing your experience here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions. 

If you want any more solution in future, kindly place your post in Forum.

Thanks,
    Dharmesh
    Wednesday, April 2, 2014 5:51 AM