none
Rename Fail-over Cluster in WS 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Due to business reuirement, I need to rename the cluster.

Environment is WS 2008 ENT 64 bit, 2 Node cluster. Its a newly built cluster and application hasn't been installed yet.

Is it possible to renmae the cluster without destroying and recreating the same ? if so, how do I do that ? I couldn't find any references for that.

Will there be any implications if I rename the existing cluster ?

Please suggest.

Thanks

~ Knowledge Seeker

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 6:55 PM

Answers

• As you do not have any applications configured on cluster, its pretty easy to rename the cluster.

Here is what, you can do...

Open Failover Cluster Management MMC, right on the cluster name and select properties.

In General tab, change the existing cluster name to your desired name; click on Apply and then OK to complete the Task.

You will be prompted to confirm the changes, Click on Yes. It will take a minute or so and you are done. 

Now you should see a new cluster in place of old cluster name.

To perform these tasks seemlessly, should be a member of local admin group on both the cluster nodes and you should have DNS admin rights or permissions to add/modify DNS records in Active Directory.

Hope that helps.

Most of the downtime's are caused because of SysAdmin's curiosity ! - Santosh

• Marked as answer by Jayawardhane Wednesday, February 22, 2012 4:02 PM
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 8:19 PM

All replies

• As you do not have any applications configured on cluster, its pretty easy to rename the cluster.

Here is what, you can do...

Open Failover Cluster Management MMC, right on the cluster name and select properties.

In General tab, change the existing cluster name to your desired name; click on Apply and then OK to complete the Task.

You will be prompted to confirm the changes, Click on Yes. It will take a minute or so and you are done. 

Now you should see a new cluster in place of old cluster name.

To perform these tasks seemlessly, should be a member of local admin group on both the cluster nodes and you should have DNS admin rights or permissions to add/modify DNS records in Active Directory.

Hope that helps.

Most of the downtime's are caused because of SysAdmin's curiosity ! - Santosh

• Marked as answer by Jayawardhane Wednesday, February 22, 2012 4:02 PM
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 8:19 PM
  • Thnks so much !

~ Knowledge Seeker

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 4:03 PM
  • Hi,

May I know if the procedures are also applicable on Windows 2012 Cluster? We have created the Windows CLuster 2012R2 and added MSSQL cluster (2012) resources (db instances, virtual service name/IP, SQL agents, etc) under this Cluster group, we would like to know any impact on renaming the Windows Cluster towards the MSSQL cluster. Thanks.

Friday, December 18, 2015 12:36 PM
  • Server 2012 R2 shows a confirmation box in the described above operation, which mentions the fact that you will need to manually restart all cluster nodes. I was unable to locate any documents explaining the reason for that, so tried renaming without restarts. Cluster name successfully changes, as well as its object in DNS and AD. In the next couple of days we've encountered a lot of events with id 1196 (Cluster network name resource 'clusterresource' failed registration of one or more associated DNS name(s) for the following reason: DNS bad key) and some with id 1206 (The computer object associated with the cluster network name resource 'clusterresource' could not be updated in domain 'ourdomain'. The error code was 'Password change') and 1207 (The computer object associated with the cluster network name resource 'clusterresource' could not be updated in domain 'ourdomain' during the Resource post online operation). When the record in DNS  gets scavenged, cluster will probably create a new one, so 1196 might not be a problem. 1206 was for MS SQL resources and 1207 was for MSDTC resource, and I don't know, what it was trying to update... In the next two days we rebooted all nodes and errors were gone.
    • Edited by cmdlist Friday, December 25, 2015 11:16 AM remove unnecessary
    Friday, December 25, 2015 11:13 AM
  • ...In the next two days we rebooted all nodes and errors were gone.

HI there!

I confirm that after renaming a cluster built on Windows Server v1803, the DNS record was not updated by any available online methods: cmd tools flushdns, powershell register-dnsclient, etc.
    The DNS cluster record was manually cleaned. After that all the nodes were rebooted and the DNS record appeared. 

Monday, September 24, 2018 5:41 AM