none
windows 7 professional backup and restore stop working after installation of acronis true image 2010 RRS feed

• General discussion

• HI,
    windows 7 professional backup and restore stop working after installation of acronis true image 2010. it generates a error code 0x81000019. please help.
    thanks
    Song
    Monday, February 15, 2010 5:50 PM

All replies

• drsong123,

Could you please find the logs located at: c:\windows\logs\windowsbackup (all .etl files) and send them to me at sankalpm_AT_microsoft_DOT_com
    Monday, February 22, 2010 10:39 AM
  • Offline follow up revealed that an app, suspected to be Acronis, was turning on the USN journal on the system reserved 100mb partition. The USN journal ate up space that was required during backup to create a shadow copy of the volume. This caused a backup failure.

Deleting the USN journal on the volume solved the issue. Here are the steps (assuming the 100mb partition is F:)

1. Launch cmd --> run as admin
    2. fsutil usn queryjournal F:
        The output will be USN journal settings which also includes its size (in hex bytes). If it is anything around 30mb, the backup will fail due to snapshot creation failure because of lack of space.
    3. fsutil usn deletejournal /D F:
        This will delete the journal. Retry backup.

Later, if the journal is again found to be taking up space, it will be useful to try and locate the app that turns the journal on. Applications using USN to track file changes are likely to be responsible.

Wednesday, March 3, 2010 5:07 PM
  • Sankalp,

I too have the error 0x81000033 when running the full system image backup.  I could not assign a drive letter to my 100mb drive with the Disk Management.  So, I went into the diskpart and ran the following commands:

diskpart
    list disk

DISKPART> list par

Partition ###  Type              Size     Offset
      -------------  ----------------  -------  -------
      Partition 1    System             100 MB  1024 KB           ( 78.2 of 96.0MB free )
      Partition 2    Reserved           128 MB   101 MB
      Partition 3    Primary             73 GB   229 MB
      Partition 4    Recovery           423 MB    74 GB

sel dis 0
    list par
    select partition 1
    assign letter=q
    fsutil usn queryjournal q:
    fsutil usn deletejournal /D q:

After diskpart, I opened the "My Computer" and see that I have 78.2 of 96.0MB free.  Despite that, I ran these commands on the new q: drive:

C:\Windows\System32>q:

Q:\>fsutil usn queryjournal q:
    Error:  The parameter is incorrect.

The FSUTIL utility requires a local NTFS volume.

Q:\>fsutil usn deletejournal /D q:
    Error:  The parameter is incorrect.

The FSUTIL utility requires a local NTFS volume.

Q:\>

Any help is appreciated.

Thursday, April 15, 2010 12:22 AM
  • Since the error code you are getting for a failed backup is not the same as the original thread (0x81000019), I don't think the workaround suggested here will work.

Please send me the Backup logs from your machine so that I can get to the root cause. Please zip all the .etl files located in the directory: c:\windows\logs\windowsbackup and send them to sankalpm_AT_microsoft_DOT_com.

Thanks,

Sankalp [MSFT]

Thursday, April 15, 2010 6:53 AM
  • Offline follow up revealed that an app, suspected to be Acronis, was turning on the USN journal on the system reserved 100mb partition. The USN journal ate up space that was required during backup to create a shadow copy of the volume. This caused a backup failure.

Deleting the USN journal on the volume solved the issue. Here are the steps (assuming the 100mb partition is F:)

1. Launch cmd --> run as admin
    2. fsutil usn queryjournal F:
        The output will be USN journal settings which also includes its size (in hex bytes). If it is anything around 30mb, the backup will fail due to snapshot creation failure because of lack of space.
    3. fsutil usn deletejournal /D F:
        This will delete the journal. Retry backup.

Later, if the journal is again found to be taking up space, it will be useful to try and locate the app that turns the journal on. Applications using USN to track file changes are likely to be responsible.

Friday, September 21, 2012 8:58 PM
  • when I command

fsutil usn queryjournal z:

Error: Access is denied

please someone help me outa this hell :(

Thursday, June 20, 2013 2:14 PM
  • when I command

fsutil usn queryjournal z:

Error: Access is denied

please someone help me outa this hell :(

Thursday, June 20, 2013 2:15 PM
  • had a similar problem, couldn't back up the system image after cloning my system disk to an SSD.

The clone created the boot partition and it was too small. Tried to remove journaling w/o sucsess. Had to remove the whole boot partition and the problem was sloved

Here are the step by step how to remove the boot partition of the system disk completely:

https://support.software.dell.com/kb/118286?utm_source=redirects&utm_medium=aquisition&utm_campaign=AppAssure_301_Support

The steps will copy the boot loader to the main partition.

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 4:47 AM
  • Just a small clarification. The boot partition (Windows System Reserved Partition (SRP)) is not removed but the steps will make it inactive after the system partition is made bootable.
    Tuesday, February 25, 2014 4:51 AM