Failover Clustering of Hyper V RRS feed

• Question

• I have Built a three node cluster and cluster is working fine, user 3 Network Adopters one for Management, one for CSV and one for Live Migration but now I want to add additional network on all physical boxes to make Team of Management network and then call it in Failover Cluster but i have found how to modify Network in failover cluster after configuration of Team on all nodes.

Talha Faraz Malik

Monday, September 8, 2014 5:18 PM

Answers

• That's pretty straightforward.  Ensure all your NICs are configured on different subnets.  Configure your CSV to allow client access; generally it would be configured for cluster only communication.  Then set your Management network to not allow cluster communication.  Add your new NIC to both systems and create your team with your previous Management NIC and the new NIC.  Create the team NIC from the teamed adapters and put it on the subnet you want to use for Management.  Go back into cluster management and set this network to allow client access and remove client access but leave cluster communication on the CSV network.

This would prevent the cluster from having to be taken down, but bouncing the client access network back and forth would make it a little cumbersome to manage.

It is not recommended to have the same NIC used for both host and VM management/access - it can work, but it is not recommended.  It would be better to simply add the new NIC and create it as a virtual switch that is not available for access by the host operating system and just present it to the VMs.  Then you simply rely on the failover capabilities of the cluster to handle switching to a different host if one of the NICs goes down.

. : | : . : | : . tim

• Proposed as answer by Alex Lv Thursday, September 11, 2014 3:23 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alex Lv Tuesday, September 23, 2014 12:26 PM
    Tuesday, September 9, 2014 8:52 PM
  • Hi TFmalik,

It is not recommended to assign more than one network adapter per subnet, including IPV6 Link local, as only one card would be used by Cluster and the other ignored.

More related articl:

Configuring Windows Failover Cluster Networks

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2014/02/20/configuring-windows-failover-cluster-networks.aspx

I’m glad to be of help to you!

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

• Marked as answer by Alex Lv Tuesday, September 23, 2014 12:25 PM
    Wednesday, September 17, 2014 1:33 AM

All replies

• You cannot easily add teaming after you have completed your configuration.  It is always recommended to configure the teamed adapters before putting them to use.

I can't tell from your query if you want to create a single team and then carve it up into the various desired networks, or if you simply want to create a team with a couple NICs and leave the other NICs alone.  If the first, you will need to rebuild your cluster after having created the team and the various team NICs.  If the latter, you can remove one of the NICs from the cluster, add another NIC, team them, create the team NICs, and add them to the cluster.

Monday, September 8, 2014 10:00 PM
  • I want to create a Team for Management Adopter through which I can manage host/physical box and Virtual machines are also access through this.

I mean want to call this team adopter in Fail-over Cluster.

Talha Faraz Malik

Tuesday, September 9, 2014 4:11 AM
  • That's pretty straightforward.  Ensure all your NICs are configured on different subnets.  Configure your CSV to allow client access; generally it would be configured for cluster only communication.  Then set your Management network to not allow cluster communication.  Add your new NIC to both systems and create your team with your previous Management NIC and the new NIC.  Create the team NIC from the teamed adapters and put it on the subnet you want to use for Management.  Go back into cluster management and set this network to allow client access and remove client access but leave cluster communication on the CSV network.

This would prevent the cluster from having to be taken down, but bouncing the client access network back and forth would make it a little cumbersome to manage.

It is not recommended to have the same NIC used for both host and VM management/access - it can work, but it is not recommended.  It would be better to simply add the new NIC and create it as a virtual switch that is not available for access by the host operating system and just present it to the VMs.  Then you simply rely on the failover capabilities of the cluster to handle switching to a different host if one of the NICs goes down.

• Proposed as answer by Alex Lv Thursday, September 11, 2014 3:23 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alex Lv Tuesday, September 23, 2014 12:26 PM
    Tuesday, September 9, 2014 8:52 PM
  • Hi TFMalik,

We recommend that you team physical network adapters in the management operating system. This provides bandwidth aggregation and network traffic failover if a network hardware failure or outage occurs.

The NIC Teaming feature, also known as load balancing and failover (LBFO), provides two basic sets of algorithms for teaming.

• Switch-dependent modes. Requires the switch to participate in the teaming process. Typically requires all the network adapters in the team to be connected to the same switch.

• Switch-independent modes. Does not require the switch to participate in the teaming process. Although not required, team network adapters can be connected to different switches.

More detail about the LBFO in cluster please refer the following KB:

Network Recommendations for a Hyper-V Cluster in Windows Server 2012

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn550728.aspx

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.

Thursday, September 11, 2014 3:35 AM
  • What I understand, I will create a Team of Management Network and assign same subnet and IP to both Adopters then go to failover Cluster and and select client access option on newly attached adopter now create a new Virtual Switch and map to this newly attached adopter and access all Virtual Machines through it.

Talha Faraz Malik

Thursday, September 11, 2014 4:30 AM
  • Hi TFmalik,

It is not recommended to assign more than one network adapter per subnet, including IPV6 Link local, as only one card would be used by Cluster and the other ignored.

More related articl:

Configuring Windows Failover Cluster Networks

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2014/02/20/configuring-windows-failover-cluster-networks.aspx

• Marked as answer by Alex Lv Tuesday, September 23, 2014 12:25 PM
    Wednesday, September 17, 2014 1:33 AM