none
The User Profile Service service failed the logon. User Profile cannot be loaded. RRS feed

• Question

• I am testing the deployment of Microsoft Powerpoint Viewer (latest version) and have come across an odd issue.
    Once the GPO has been applied, i can log in as any domain account that has previously logged into the test machines (2 Laptops running Win 7 Pro and connected by ethernet cable). Once logged in, I can see that PPviewer has successfully installed and it does indeed open powerpoint files.

The oddity is that when I try to log in with any valid domain user account that has NOT previously logged into this machine, I receive the following message:

The User Profile Service service failed the logon.
    User Profile cannot be loaded.

Tried booting to safe mode and recieved the same error.

GPOs are being applied at the domain level and then filtered by Computers.
    So under Security Filtering I have the 2 computer accounts listed. 

Below is a link to the MPS report:

<iframe src="https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=BBBE8AB5307A422D&resid=BBBE8AB5307A422D%211135&authkey=AMPr7g60n0bejIY" width="98" height="120" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Monday, April 23, 2012 10:59 PM

Answers

• Hi,

In Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7, the Copy To button has disabled on the User Profiles screen. For more information, please check the following link:

Configuring Default User Settings – Full Update for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2

http://blogs.technet.com/b/deploymentguys/archive/2009/10/29/configuring-default-user-settings-full-update-for-windows-7-and-windows-server-2008-r2.aspx    

Based on my research, you can visit the following Microsoft KB on User Profile Service (ProfSvc) issue.

Error message when you log on to a Windows Vista-based computer by using a temporary profile: "The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215

Meanwhile, to share an article on the Error "The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded."

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/130095-user-profile-service-failed-logon-user-profile-cannot-loaded.html

Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Best Regards
    Elytis Cheng

Elytis Cheng

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 6:15 AM
  •  
    > The oddity is that when I try to log in with any valid domain user
    > account that has NOT previously logged into this machine, I receive
    > the following message:
    >

Local profile or server based? If server based: Check that either the
    user has appropriate rights to create his profile directory (if it is
    not already existing) or has appropriate rights on the profile directory
    folder (if it is already existing).

regards, Martin

NO THEY ARE NOT EVIL, if you know what you are doing: Good or bad GPOs?
    Wenn meine Antwort hilfreich war, freue ich mich über eine Bewertung! If my answer was helpful, I'm glad about a rating!
    Tuesday, April 24, 2012 10:20 AM
  • check the permissions on

c:\users\default

c:\users\public

I would even try copying "c:\users\default" from a working machine that has same applications installed.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 2:53 PM
  • All good there.

A system restore fixes the problem, but I don't know why its happening.

Sunday, April 29, 2012 7:13 PM

All replies

• Hi,

In Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7, the Copy To button has disabled on the User Profiles screen. For more information, please check the following link:

Configuring Default User Settings – Full Update for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2

http://blogs.technet.com/b/deploymentguys/archive/2009/10/29/configuring-default-user-settings-full-update-for-windows-7-and-windows-server-2008-r2.aspx    

Based on my research, you can visit the following Microsoft KB on User Profile Service (ProfSvc) issue.

Error message when you log on to a Windows Vista-based computer by using a temporary profile: "The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215

Meanwhile, to share an article on the Error "The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded."

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/130095-user-profile-service-failed-logon-user-profile-cannot-loaded.html

Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Best Regards
    Elytis Cheng

Elytis Cheng

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 6:15 AM
  •  
    > The oddity is that when I try to log in with any valid domain user
    > account that has NOT previously logged into this machine, I receive
    > the following message:
    >

Local profile or server based? If server based: Check that either the
    user has appropriate rights to create his profile directory (if it is
    not already existing) or has appropriate rights on the profile directory
    folder (if it is already existing).

regards, Martin

NO THEY ARE NOT EVIL, if you know what you are doing: Good or bad GPOs?
    Wenn meine Antwort hilfreich war, freue ich mich über eine Bewertung! If my answer was helpful, I'm glad about a rating!
    Tuesday, April 24, 2012 10:20 AM
  • I tried users with local and server based profiles, same result. 

What is strange is that this problem only occurred after trying to deploy Powerpoint viewer. I deployed Java and Firefox with no issues before this. The only difference is that Powerpoint is a Microsoft product and maybe interacts differently with the deployment?

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 2:24 PM
  • check the permissions on

c:\users\default

c:\users\public

I would even try copying "c:\users\default" from a working machine that has same applications installed.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 2:53 PM
  • All good there.

A system restore fixes the problem, but I don't know why its happening.

Sunday, April 29, 2012 7:13 PM
  • I was able to fix this issue on a per machine basis:

Advanced Security Settings for the C:\Users\Default folder (it's hidden by default) and checking the box to "Replace all child object permission with inheritable permissions from this object".

Still no idea why applying a GPO would screw with this...

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 3:59 PM