AD Web Service Error 1202 RRS feed

• Question

• We are seeing this error every 1 minute on two Windows Server 2008 R2 domain controllers that were recently installed at a remote site:

Source: ADWS
    Error: 1202
    This computer is now hosting the specified directory instance, but Active Directory Web Services could not service it. Active Directory Web Services will retry this operation periodically.

Directory instance: GC
    Directory instance LDAP port: 3268
    Directory instance SSL port: 3269

Monday, February 8, 2010 1:11 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Are both domain controllers also GC? Please verify that they are fully synchronized.

Generally speaking, the 1202 event indicates the machine became a GC but ADWS couldn't establish a connection to it on the GC port.  ADWS will keep retrying, so if there's a subsequent 1200 event ("is now servicing the specified directory instance") for the GC instance, it was a transient issue and solved itself.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Joson Zhou Tuesday, February 16, 2010 5:27 AM
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 2:55 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Are both domain controllers also GC? Please verify that they are fully synchronized.

Generally speaking, the 1202 event indicates the machine became a GC but ADWS couldn't establish a connection to it on the GC port.  ADWS will keep retrying, so if there's a subsequent 1200 event ("is now servicing the specified directory instance") for the GC instance, it was a transient issue and solved itself.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Joson Zhou Tuesday, February 16, 2010 5:27 AM
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 2:55 AM
  • Hi, thought I'd wake this thread up rather than start an identical one.

I am also in this situation. But, I have 2 servers, 1 running Server 2008 R2 and the other running original Windows 2008 32bit(it's an old server). I keep getting this error on the R2 server randomly during the day.

Should I bother about it? Is there anything I can do about it?

Thanks.

I.T. Manager International House London
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 2:30 PM
  • Having the same error on my 2008R2 server but it seems like the domain is working. Got a 2008SP2 (GC) and two 2003 (non-GC) DCs running besides the R2.

Any thoughts on this? Error only comes when rebooted and before that a warning with event id 1400 comes up fromn the same service stating the below.

Active Directory Web Services could not find a server certificate with the specified certificate name. A certificate is required to use SSL/TLS connections. To use SSL/TLS connections, verify that a valid server authentication certificate from a trusted Certificate Authority (CA) is installed on the machine.

Certificate name: SERVER.DOMAIN.ORG (I replaced the name)

Thanks

Thomas

Thursday, September 9, 2010 7:33 AM
  • I also got this error.I have 2 W2K8 R2 DC.It does not affect our work for now.But i'm wondering about this error is important or not!

This computer is now hosting the specified directory instance, but Active Directory Web Services could not service it. Active Directory Web Services will retry this operation periodically.

Directory instance: NTDS

Directory instance LDAP port: 389

Directory instance SSL port: 636

Thursday, November 3, 2011 12:26 PM
  • Hi Joson,

Yes your statement is correct, if the 1200 event lists as "is now servicing..." but what if the same event; 1202 continues without ever making the connection? Is there anyway to administer and correct this issue?

Thanks,

Chris

Monday, July 9, 2012 4:20 PM
  • Just wanted to wake this thread up (again).   Has anyone fixed this?  I am recieving this error every one minute on both my vCenter servers:

Directory instance: ADAM_VMwareVCMSDS

Tuesday, June 10, 2014 4:49 PM
  • My problem is almost the same.

Directory instance: ADAM_ISASTGCTRL
     Directory instance LDAP port: 2171
     Directory instance SSL port: 2172

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 9:22 AM
  • Read this http://www.seankilleen.com/2012/12/how-to-fix-event-1209-for-adws-when.html
    • Proposed as answer by ROMCHCH Wednesday, June 18, 2014 12:37 AM
    Wednesday, June 18, 2014 12:36 AM
  • Just wanted to wake this thread up (again).   Has anyone fixed this?  I am recieving this error every one minute on both my vCenter servers:

Directory instance: ADAM_VMwareVCMSDS

Hello,

Just wanted to update the thread that my particular issue has been resolved by turning off Active Directory Web Services entirely.  In my case both servers were running VMware vCenter services.  ADWS was installed, running and set to automatic, however I have discussed this with both VMware and MicroSoft support, both confirm that this service is not required to run vCenter and can be safely turned off.  I have turned the service off, the errors have disappeared, and there were no problems with any vCenter services.

This worked in my case, but I would strongly recommend checking what your server is running and verify that the service can be safely turned off in your individual case, for me, this worked.

Wednesday, July 2, 2014 5:54 PM
  • FYI I was able to find a resolution for this issue with vCenter server and ADWS erroring out every minute. You can find details on the resolution on this vmware forum.

communities.vwmware.com/messages/2453117 (Cant hyperlink, Poor microsft, do you really wonder why Im a mac home user eh?)

Good luck.

Beercules

Friday, November 28, 2014 6:38 PM