none
Logon to Terminal Server directly at Logon screen RRS feed

• Question

• Hallo

is there any way to logon to a Terminal Server directly at Windows logon screen?
    i mean, without having to logon to the local computer and subsequently to launch the TS client.

Thursday, February 1, 2007 11:30 AM

Answers

• You can create an RDP File with the appropriate settings and saved user creds (for logon to the remote machine) and

• put this file in the local machine start folder
    • or launch it through a local logon script.

This way, the user does not have to explicitly launch the RDclient

The user will still be logged onto the local machine and have access to it (unless you explicitly lockdown the local machine)

Friday, February 9, 2007 11:08 PM

All replies

• You can create an RDP File with the appropriate settings and saved user creds (for logon to the remote machine) and

• put this file in the local machine start folder
    • or launch it through a local logon script.

This way, the user does not have to explicitly launch the RDclient

The user will still be logged onto the local machine and have access to it (unless you explicitly lockdown the local machine)

Friday, February 9, 2007 11:08 PM
  • A better solution is to use configure automatic logon in the registry, then use group policy to change the default shell to the terminal server client. You can still add the .rdp file as an cmdline argument to the shell. This way the user will boot the machine directly to the terminal server logon screen.
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 9:25 PM
  •  

I agree with this method, benefits are central management.

Auto Logon to XP desktop (as if it was Embedded XP) as a guest / simple user account, interesting tack on this method previously described is to
    launch an IE browser as the Shell with RDP mime type and launch the RDP file from a central location. As in the previous solution allows for central
    management and the ability to route users to different environments as need

Thursday, March 8, 2007 12:44 PM
  •  

I agree with this method, benefits are central management and control.

Auto Logon to XP desktop (as if it was Embedded XP) as a guest / simple user account, interesting tack on this method previously described is to launch an IE browser as the Shell with RDP mime type and launch the RDP file from a central location. As in the previous solution allows for central management and the ability to route users to different environments as need

Thursday, March 8, 2007 12:55 PM
  •  

I agree with this method, benefits are central management and control.

Auto Logon to XP desktop (as if it was Embedded XP) as a guest / simple user account, interesting tack on this method previously described is to launch an IE browser as the Shell with RDP mime type and launch the RDP file from a central location. As in the previous solution allows for central management and the ability to route users to different environments as need

Thursday, March 8, 2007 12:57 PM
  • dukefan said:

A better solution is to use configure automatic logon in the registry, then use group policy to change the default shell to the terminal server client. You can still add the .rdp file as an cmdline argument to the shell. This way the user will boot the machine directly to the terminal server logon screen.

Where is this policy that changes default shell to terminal server? I haven't found yet... Automatic login is ok.

Thanks!
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 5:20 PM
  • User Settings, Admin Templates, System, Custom user Interface
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 6:24 PM