KB4540673 2020-03 Cumulative Update - Network Stack Problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

we are using 802.1x Network Auth with Computer AND User Auth. After logon, the machine changes to user auth and the switch changes to the user vlan. After installing KB4540673, we are having the Problem that the eth adapter does not request the new IP Adress after VLAN change.

After ipconfig /release /renew the adapter gets the right IP Adress. 

When removing the 2020-03 Cumulative Update KB4540673, the Problem is gone. 

Any Ideas?

Thanks!

Julian

Friday, March 13, 2020 12:31 PM

All replies

• We have the EXACT same issue.  I see in another thread a guy setup a scripted powershell command to fix this issue.  I haven't gotten that far, but I determined the command DOES fix my problem.  Run powershell as an administrator and try restarting the dot3svc service:

Restart-Service -Force -Name dot3svc

You'll instantly get an IP address from the VLAN you are supposed to.  All day I have been disable users dot1x interfaces manually to force the proper negotiation.  I can't believe we aren't seeing more people complain about these cumulative updates causing this behavior.

Let me know how you progress.

THANKS!

Friday, March 13, 2020 10:04 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry to reply to you now.

What's the current situation of your problem

Do you have servicing stack update KB4541338 installed before installing the cumulative updates?

If not, please download it first.

If it still doesn't work, I suggest you do as another user said use the powshell command to solve your problem.

Hope this can help you, if you have anything unclear, please let me know.

Have a nice day!

Allan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 16, 2020 5:23 AM
  • Yes KB4541338 is installed.  The order of installation and appearance of the problem is slightly unclear at the moment due to the nature of the cumulative updates.  I am fairly certain this problem can be seen with at least 2 cumulative updates.  We are experiencing this issue on many hundreds of PCs.  The damage is done.  We are using a powershell script deployed as a scheduled task at the moment to solve this issue at login but it takes quite a bit of time (maybe a minute?).

I am venturing into new troubleshooting territory with this.  Do you know where I can submit a bug report on this?  I can only guess that due to the nature of wired dot1x being rarely implemented, we are not seeing a huge number of reports of this issue.

THANKS!

Tuesday, March 17, 2020 8:34 PM
  • Hi,

To report a bug to Microsoft, you could follow steps as below:

1. 1.Open the Windows 10 Feedback Hub from the Start menu or by typing “Feedback Hub” into the search field on your desktop's taskbar.
    2. 2.Click “Report a Bug” and follow the instructions to send in your issue.

For the problems caused by Windows system updates, we believe that Microsoft will solve them through subsequent updates.

But if the issue is urgent, I suggest you open a case with Microsoft, more in-depth investigation can be done so that you would get a more satisfying explanation and solution to this issue.

Here is the link:https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/customer-service-phone-numbers

Hope this can help you, if you have anything unclear, please let me know.

Have a nice day!

Allan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 18, 2020 7:10 AM
  • Nice work clearly correlating this issue to the installation of March 10 2020 updates AND citing specific KBs that triggered the change. 

Microsoft is aware of this issue and is actively investigating

The Servicing team has been reviewing log files from computers that reproduce the issue and is also reviewing code changes contained in updates released on March 10, 2020. 

I'll post an update here once more is known about mitigation and timeline. 

Thursday, March 19, 2020 2:18 PM
  • Any update on this situation?  We were able to work around this problem a little bit, but the problem still exists even on version 2004.  I am still getting complaints from users related to this issue.

THANKS!
    --Dan

Friday, August 7, 2020 9:05 PM