none
WDS versions and Windows 10 builds RRS feed

• Question

• Where can I find docs about WDS compatibility with client operating systems?

I found docs only for Windows Server 2012 R2:

Benefits of Windows Deployment Services
        Allows network-based installation of Windows operating systems, which reduces the complexity and cost when compared to manual installations.
        Supports deploying images for mixed environments including Windows 7and Windows Server 2008 R2 through Windows 8.1and Windows Server 2012 R2.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2012-R2-and-2012/hh831764(v%3dws.11)

So, for Windows 10 image deployment I need Windows Server 2016 (or Server 2019)?

Monday, June 10, 2019 12:29 PM

All replies

• WDS is a role that can be enabled on Windows Server editions. If you do not have a WDS Server yet, you should be using the equivalent to the OS you are deploying. So if you are going to be doing Windows 10, then your server should have Server 2016 or 2019.

The minimum requirement to support UEFI PXE boot is Server 2012 (sans-R2). The minimum for "modern" WDS usage (legacy PXE) is Server 2008 R2.

WDS is just a vehicle and has no actual concern as to what it is booting. It doesn't technically deploy any client OS, it makes available an OS to boot via LAN. And that is usually going to be some version of Windows PE. You can use any version of WinPE as a boot image in WDS (that I can tell) and it is the PE itself that has hardware/software compatibility requirements, not WDS.

Monday, June 10, 2019 4:28 PM