none
Sysvol FRS to DFS-R Migration issues 2008 R2

Question

• Looking for some advice on the best way forward. 

I am in the process of completing a domain upgrade from Server 2008R2 to Server 2016. 
    We currently have 4 DC's running on 2008R2 with a domain and forest functional level of Windows Server 2008 R2.

In the pre-upgrade stage, I am currently doing the Sysvol FRS to DFS-R Migration

Initially running the [dfsrmig /getmigrationstate] showed the [All Domain Controllers have migrated successfully to Global state ('Start'). Migration has reached a consistent state on all Domain Controllers. Succeeded.]
    I then set this to Prepared [All Domain Controllers have migrated successfully to Global state ('Prepared'). Migration has reached a consistent state on all Domain Controllers.Succeeded.]

Upon running DFS Replication Health Report It shows 2 errors with event ID 6804 for 2 on the 4 DC's.
    I have checked this further manually and found that the new SYSVOL_DFSR folder on the 2 errored DC's is smaller in size and number of files and folders than the other 2. I have also created a new test GPO and this is not replicated to any of the DC's in the SYSVOL_DFSR folder. It is, however, replicating fine in the SYSVOL folder on all 4 DC's.

Any advice on the best way forward or back on this to ensure the SYSVOL is replicating to SYSVOL_DFSR prior to the next steps of the migration and then domain upgrade?

Tuesday, March 20, 2018 1:47 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This may be of helpful. Why are you doing as a in place upgrade, you can install a new instance with 2016 and prepare your forest/domain and promote, your 2016 DC is ready

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/978326/error-message-and-event-log-warning-6804-when-you-complete-a-dfs-repli

Thanks

Syed.

Dont forget to mark as Answered if you found this post helpful.

Tuesday, March 20, 2018 2:39 PM
  • Hi,

I did read that article when I first saw the error but done some further checks to confirm this.

When creating a new GPO while in the prepared state the new GPO replicates around the sysvol folder ok but is not copied/replicated to the sysvol_dfsr folder. This makes me think the sysvol_dfsr is not replicating correctly when in a prepared state. I am not sure why.

I have also revered back to START state then back to Prepared and the new folders created are again different sizes across the 4 DC's.

Running the DFS Replication Health Report it gives me 3 errors with [No connections exist for Domain System Volume.].

Is the migration path meant to be to change to prepared state then migrate as soon as it is complete or should I be right in thinking that the SYSVOL should be replicating to the SYSVOL_DFSR when in a prepared state until I switch to the redirected state? 
    • Edited by K517450 Wednesday, March 21, 2018 11:17 AM Coding
    Wednesday, March 21, 2018 10:53 AM
  • Looking in to this a bit further I have checked the number of files/folder in the original sysvol and these are not consistant across the 4 DC's either.

Is it suggested to force a replication around the domain controllers before changing back to prepared state?

UPDATE - Forcing replication completes without error and there is no change to the difference in files/folders

All the tools other than the manaual check suggest things are ok but the different size and content of the SYSVOL is strange. No idea why they are different.
    • Edited by K517450 Wednesday, March 21, 2018 1:48 PM Update
    Wednesday, March 21, 2018 11:14 AM
  • In case anyone still looking at this, MS says it is a known issue and can be safely ignored:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/978326/error-message-and-event-log-warning-6804-when-you-complete-a-dfs-repli

Friday, May 24, 2019 3:35 PM